Jon Theodore

Dill X

Pioneer Member
Even though most of you probably already know of Jon Theodore, I think you need to really sit down and listen to him play to understand how amazing his playing is. He is probably my favourite new drummer on the scene, just because of the power and depth that he has in his playing.
For those of you who listen to the band he plays in, The Mars Volta, you will know how experimental their music is and I find it amazing how he thinks up new grooves and ways to incorperate even the smallest sounds to make certain parts of songs that much cooler.

This guy just leaves me amazed every time I hear him playing on the albums or from live recordings. I hoping to go see The Mars Volta in September when they play in Toronto, and I'm sure I'll be just blown away by the unbelievable power, pressense, and skill that Jon Theodore has while on stage.

If you haven't check him out, do so now!

i agree...he is amazing. i can figure out easily what he is playing usually and i can put all the stokes in the right places but it doesnt have the same feel that he employs...i dont know what it is but it baffles me. but...i wasnt to impressed with frances the mute. de-loused was much better in my opinion

Jon Theodore's a great drummer. I own The Mars Volta's most recent album, Frances the Mute, and his drumming is very creative. Works perfectly in TMV's progressive setting.

Also, his stainless-steel Ludwig is to die for...

I agree with Ameripino in the feelings that Theodore's playing is better on De-loused. I also think the drums sound way better on that record as well. I loved how in his MD interview the interviewer was getting frustrated when Jon was being somewhat mysterious about how he got so good. It was also rad that he mention Bruford's work on King Crimson's "Red" album as a big influence, such an underrated album

Last edited:
I think jon's playing is,how shall I put this,the spherical genitalia of a canine quadrapede.The dogs Bo!!ock$.

Jon Theodore is an amzing drummer. I love his variations on paradiddles in Tarantism. The solo he does on drummerworld is sweet too

Jon theodore is one of my favorite drummers. There's just something he's got when you
hear him play. Such energy and precision, especially in his fast-paced, syncopated chops
in alot of the mars volta's tracks. He's really got a brilliant style and I love his minimalist
kit set-up too, it looks challenging to play.

Not since Danny Carey have I been so excited about a new drummer on the scene. Such passion, monstorous power, dynamic control and nuance. He can go from the most savagely frenetic pattern into something it's complete polar opposite on a dime and make it feel so seamless. Watching him live is electric! One of the most creative drummers I've ever heard. He really needs to get songwriting credits considering that he formulates all those wonderfully abstract drum parts and figures out the song structures (but that's really a debate for another day).

Jon Theodore in concert

Last night I saw The Mars Volta and System of a Down in concert in Toronto, and I was must say it was an amazing show. Both bands tore up the stage with so much energy, power, and sheer excitement.

Jon Theodore of The Mars Volta completely blew me away. I was in some sort of awe for their entire set. It was so cool because it was as if I was watching him just play in a room because I was only about 10 meters from the stage.
I knew Jon Theodore was a great drummer (he's one of my favourites right now), but after seeing him live it completely made me see his playing in a whole new prespective. He just had some much power and he was so smooth and creative.

I could rave all night about how great he was but I just need to stop and share a bit of my experience. You really need to see him play live in order to truly be amazed by his drumming.

If The Mars Volta and System of a Down are playing near you go see them! The drumming is spectacular, and the bands are amazing as well.

Another thing....young drummers today should be looking at an amazing rock drummer like Jon Theodore and many other greats instead of Travis Barker. Don't let these great drummers be left in the dark!

Re: Jon Theodore in concert

I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments about Jon Theodore. His style of playing is one of the most innovative of recent rock drumming IMO. It must have been a beautiful experience to see the master play live. A fellow drummer spoke to me of his experience seeing Theodore play as "Hands down the best show I've ever seen!". This was a show they played in Philly in May on their "Frances the Mute" tour. Unfortunately, I don't believe the SOAD/ Mars Volta tour is coming near where I live. I can only hope to catch them the next time around. But anyways, I believe drummers should not ignore such talent and that young drummers today would greatly benefit from this inspirational artist.

Jon theodor

has anyone heard of a drummer called jon theodor from the mars volta.
a quality drummer, very dynamic.
is anyone a fan at all?
not many people i know have even heard of the mars volta, let alone jon theodor

Re: Jon theodor

I am consistantly blown away by his drumming.
I often find it hard to contemplate the beats he plays, especially on the new album.
Absolute insanity live also.

Jon Theodore is my favourite drummer on the scene right now. I am totally sucked in by everything he does, plays, or says. So basically I can have endless comments to say about him right now.

I also saw him and The Mars Volta in September in Toronto, and they put on the best musical performance I have ever seen live. Literally my jaw hit the floor, and I still can not believe I saw them. Just the endless energy, power, and life that the entire 8 piece band put in was unbelievable. It was too bad though because they were opening for System of a Down, so they had a shortened set. I still remember that I was in so much shock, awe, and amazement that I stood up through the entire set change from The Mars Volta to System of Down.

I was at the side stage seating, so I was about 10 meters from the stage and of course perfectly positioned to watch Jon.

In my mind the man is a genius in every aspect of drums. Young drummers today should be looking at Jon Theodore for inspiration instead of Travis Barker or Tre Cool (no offence to them).

Oh and didn't I make a thread on him a long time ago!

I saw Mars Volta with System of a Down last week. To be honest, I wasn't impressed. I like Mars Volta and I think that Mr. Theodore is an extremely competent drummer, but the show was lacking. No energy... it also seemed like really really pretentious art rock. Kind of like when I saw Tool, but they had so much energy, they sold it a lot more. I didn't enjoy the show. Go buy the cds, they're much better.

If you can appriciate Theadore's playing, you should be able to enjoy many historical jazz artists, funk, swing, salsa, and many free-thinking artits akin to that. It would be a very hardpressed opinion (and quite a sin) to state you *loooove* the Mars Volta, but cannot go outside the proverbial box and look for other musicians previous to them, with a much more Pure sound, showing clearly where the Mars might have constructed their sound from. This kind of music has been around for ages. Some call it "avant-garde" but really it's just a free expression of our inner most creativity without any thought toward what might be commercially exeptable. It's pretty cool. Theadore's playing is very loose, energetic, and he does often play "behind-the-notes", similar to what jazz musicians are good at doing.

This style gives the Mars Volta unique credibility in the indie-rock movement but doesn't nessesarily qualify the listener or audiences for having jaw-dropping music-credibility. To understand this music, or persue further the amazing loins of this enriching sound, travel back in time and 'get the feel' (wink wink) of music (latino, free-jazz, salsa, ska, funk, etc) for the madness. It isn't the context, but the 'sub-context' (if you will) that makes this music work. Whenever you've heard, say, "De-loused in the Comatoriun" a thousand times over and want something new, there is more, historically, to which offers that feel without over-wearing your sences on one record if you get my drift.

Case in point, consider Jon's playing (and the Mars for that matter) an open door to many new musical branches of creativity that just readily linger out there. Rock music isn't the only good music cranking out soul-palpitations of 'angst', love and heartbreak to which many can relate to.

i know this board is full of open-minded people, i was just saying it to hear myself talk AND for those that might Not be openminded.

Back