Sonor Safari

Man! Now I am thinking about my Pearl set and the tom holder placement on the 22x18 bass drum. I have the one mounted tom as far out on the tom arm as it goes. If I get another boom cymbal mount to put in that hole and a shorter Pearl tom mount, I could get the one mounted tom closer to me by using a clamp.

I agree that the tom holders on some deep bass drums are too far forward. Peace and goodwill.

That's right Drumolator,
Pearl gets it wrong too.
This is a pic of my Pearl Forum 16x20 bass drum
I am using the tom mount for a cymbal arm mount.
My toms are mounted on a floor stand that can't be seen in the pic.

Look at how far forward that that mount is!
As Les Ismore said, The mount is aligned with the spurs.

Do drum designers for these big companies actually play the drums that they design?
I doubt it!!!

Attachments

• 1105001921.jpg
    1105001921.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,437
That's right Drumolator,
Pearl gets it wrong too.
This is a pic of my Pearl Forum 16x20 bass drum
I am using the tom mount for a cymbal arm mount.
My toms are mounted on a floor stand that can't be seen in the pic.

Look at how far forward that that mount is!
As Les Ismore said, The mount is aligned with the spurs.

Do drum designers for these big companies actually play the drums that they design?
I doubt it!!!

Bob, you were good with tom mounts back in the '60s and '70s when bass drums were only 14" deep.

Bob, you were good with tom mounts back in the '60s and '70s when bass drums were only 14" deep.
Yes Bo, Here is a pic of my first kit.
A 60s Slingy.
Notice the Rail mount position.
It is in the center of the drum. It was perfect.
That is a 14x20 bass.

When I added the clamp to the downtube on the Sonor bass The tom holder wound up in about the same place as it was on my old Slingy.

Attachments

• 18939_102854479743198_100000559383408_77092_6587135_n.jpg
    18939_102854479743198_100000559383408_77092_6587135_n.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:
Yes Bo, Here is a pic of my first kit.
A 60s Slingy.
Notice the Rail mount position.
It is in the center of the drum. It was perfect.
That is a 14x20 bass.

When I added the clamp to the downtube on the Sonor bass The tom holder wound up in about the same place as it was on my old Slingy.

Good God that's classic! Even though I was just recently the owner of a 1978 Ludwig Vistalite 4-piece, I miss when drums were simple and they were all the same sizes between manufacturers!

Hey Bob.. in that pic.., were you playing along to the Partridge Family theme song ?? : )
I still play along with the Partridge Family as well as the Monkees! LOL!
I think that I was into Chicago, Elton John, and Yes back then.
I also liked Herb Alpert and Al Hurt.
I had played the Trumpet for a while before I decided that I liked the drums.

Anyway, I am really liking the Safari. I played it for a few hours again last night with my Sonor Special Edition Maple snare.
I ordered bags for the kit a few days ago.
I think that I am going to install a classic bass drum mounted ride cymbal holder on the kit.
I have one on my Tama 18 inch bass kit and I really like it.

I had gig #2 with the kit last night.

I really enjoy playing it. [And I really enjoy how easy it is to haul it.]

Glad to hear it Frank!
I'm going to play my first gig with mine in a few weeks.
The Jazz band is going to play standards at an Art Gallery show.

Kit last night. As the lights changed. :)

Attachments

• SonorRedLight.png
    SonorRedLight.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 991
  • SonorBlueLight.png
    SonorBlueLight.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 996
Since I got a 16" bass drum kit last summer, it has made my life so much easier. I'm playing in a recital next week for a flautist and the ability to load and unload the kit without having to worry about weight and awkwardness is fantastic. I can only imagine that those Sonor kits are better in almost every way!

This kit practically packs itself in the car. Esp the way I use it with just 3 of the shells. :)

I can make my Sonor force3007 kit into a jungle kit even though I have a 22" bd, 10" and 12" toms and 14" and 16" ftoms with a 14" snare - I just ditch the bass drum and 12" tom and put the bass drum spurs on two of my 16" floor toms clamps where the legs go and use the 10" tom, 14" floor tom and 14 " snare and there you have it. A two in one kit. :)

To be honest, I couldn't live with one tom and like to have at least one rack tom and one floor tom. How do you cope?

I realize that most people can't cope with one tom. But I enjoy it.

The stuff I play is not about rolling around the kit like __________[include your favorite solo-oriented rock drummer here.]

It's mostly about - giving a solid, usually somewhat funkified groove that promotes dancing. A single large tom and a snare is more than enough for what I need to be doing with the fills.

In our band, it's all about doing whatever it takes to get them on the dance floor - and keep them there. A strong bass drum in the PA mix and dance rhythms that almost never break - are what keep the booties shaking. A row of toms can actually get in the way of that.

Again - I recognize that most wouldn't agree with me. That's what makes the world go round. Kewl.

Actually Frank, I do understand how to use only one tom on a kit.
I have done many a gig like this. I have also gone with just a snare and bass.
That is all that small club dance music requires.
The people aren't there to see a drummer roll around the kit in a big show.
It is a low volume gig.
You can transpose any dance tune to to a one tom, or no tom kit.
I also often use a conga player and I supply the back beat while he does all of the fancy fills.
That is why you aren't using resos. You want that bass drum beat to be clean and clear at all times.

If you have ever watched people on a dance floor you will have noted that some of them lose it during a complex fill in or bridge in the tune.
Many people don't understand music well enough to dance through a fill in.

Last edited:
The people aren't there to see a drummer roll around the kit in a big show.....

That's how we approach it. Both for the drums, and for the guitar. Our guitarist does not
do any extended wanks. People who want to party and dance - just don't blankin care.

If you have ever watched people on a dance floor you will have noted that some of them lose it during a complex fill in or bridge in the tune.

Yes - they do. When people are dancing, the best you can do is - simplify stuff, and really lock on a greasy, funky, sexy rhythm. The booties will follow.
Anything else gets in the way.

I did a full mic up recording with my Safari this afternoon with my Improv band.
I'll post some audio here when it is mixed a bit and changed from a wav file to an MP3.
My kit sounded really good from the little playback that I heard.

My kit sounded really good from the little playback that I heard.

That's what I fully expect. I have no idea what it sounded like out in the crowd, but my wife continues to tell me this kit sounds "amazing." She is not a trained ear, so, YMMV.

Back