Jenkins-Martin Kit!

bleen

Here are my babies, one of the last kits that Jerry Jenkins was able to build (his son, Scott, has since taken over the building after Dave Martin spins the shells). Forum member Greg "Mendozart" Mendoza was also a huge part in helping Jerry with the cutting/sanding/finishing of these.

Dave and I really zeroed in on the color which has since been christened "Bleen Blue" - it's truly stunning, especially when some light is behind the shells.

Sizes are:

7x10
7.5x12
13x14
14x16
15x24

Attachments

• j-m-1.jpg
    j-m-1.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 448
  • j-m-2.jpg
    j-m-2.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 425
  • j-m-3.jpg
    j-m-3.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 414
  • j-m-4.jpg
    j-m-4.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 415
  • j-m-5.jpg
    j-m-5.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 442
  • j-m-6.jpg
    j-m-6.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 414
  • j-m-7.jpg
    j-m-7.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 420
wow. one of the coolest finishes i have ever seen. maybe audio later of the 24" kick ? how are you liking those mounts (no issues w/ sustain) ?

That is a sweet looking kit. I also would like to hear some samples.
Video would also be nice.

wow. one of the coolest finishes i have ever seen. maybe audio later of the 24" kick ? how are you liking those mounts (no issues w/ sustain) ?
I doubt it's an issue. These shells have a deeper & shorter voice than other constructions. Direct mounts to shells can work extremely well in the right environment. I think the head choice doesn't exactly do them any favours on this video featured on their site though, although I do applaud the no processing zoom camera approach :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=90&v=y6M_wbUNgvE

That is indeed a fetching shade of blue.
I love the semi translucent nature of the shell material, & that makes this colour really pop. I think that colour in a plain wrap would look terrible, but it absolutely works with these shells.

Hey Don,

That kit has a very special meaning to me, as it was the last kit built out of the So. Cal shop. It's been tough since Jerry's passing, but like you stated, Scott has taken over the building in Missouri, and he's really doing a fantastic job with the building/finishing process. I really loved the sizes and color of this kit!

KIS,

The video you posted is my personal kit. I play 90% unmiced gigs, so I have used some different heads. I use coated Ambassador X, Vintage Ambs and Emps. The EMAD batter is perfect on the bass drums. These drums sound good with many different brands of heads.

If you guys want any further info, check our website at: www.jenkinsmartindrums.com

KIS,

The video you posted is my personal kit. I play 90% unmiced gigs, so I have used some different heads. I use coated Ambassador X, Vintage Ambs and Emps. The EMAD batter is perfect on the bass drums. These drums sound good with many different brands of heads.
Thanks for the background :) I picked up this video simply because it's the featured video on the website, & related to the question about directly mounted toms. I'm a fan of the drums, but thought the head choice further shortened the voice of the toms, especially considering the context of the recording method. Really nice playing BTW :)

Beautiful kit.
Still digging the SLP snare?

Yeah, I love the SLP maple snare! I have a bronze, too, but I think the maple edges it out.

Sorry I disappeared from this thread, all. I only got a notice of a reply after the first one and none since then (even though I'd been back here).

I'll stick around more! :)

Back