I have an amazing idea for working on your left hand, while you're browsing the web!

ScubaSteve

Brilliant idea I came up with just now

I knew my left hand needed more work. I came up with an idea to constantly work your hand even while your on the internet!

If your computer set up is like mine, this should work, if not, improvise! I have my subwoofer sitting under the desk next to my left leg. I put my small practice pad on top and it rests at the perfect comfort zone. It is completely not obtrusive, rather than setting up a stand and sitting at an awkward position that would hamper your digital vacation.

Grab one stick, then practices your single strokes and double strokes even when you're browsing the web! If you do it right, there should be no pain at all. It's not in the least bit distracting from your internet experience, similar to spinning a pen or twirling your hair or whatever you guys do these days.

Another bonus, what I like to do since I started doing this is to play along with the tempo of whatever song is playing on my computer. This keeps it fun as well. Perhaps play 16th notes, then accent each stroke every time a snare is hit during the song that is currently playing.

What do you guys think? Anybody going to try this? Am I lame? Has it been done?

I've done the same thing before while watching TV, working out of Stick Control. After about two weeks of about an hour every day I actually noticed a very slight improvement in my playing, specifically that my arms felt a little more relaxed. If you keep it up for at least a couple of weeks or a month then I'm sure it would help, although really drastic improvement usually takes a much longer time.

I had never thought of doing this before. I am going to try it and I have a perfect place to put a pad to my left while I'm on my computer.

Now if I could just figure out how to type at the same time. . .

I've been doing this for a while now. It started when I began learning to play traditional - basically I put a practice pad to the left of the computer on my desk which allows me to play it completely comfortably with my left hand in traditional grip. From now on, pretty much whenever I'm at my desk, I'm tapping on my practice pad with either my left or right hands, depending what I'm doing. One thing I found from this is that my left hand actually became stronger than my right, and I had to spend more time doing a similar thing to strengthen my right hand! Now that I'm trying to re-learn matched grip again with my left hand, this doesn't work so well, as I have to lift my arm uncomfortably to hit the pad. Sure I could just move the pad, but it just works so well with traditional grip.

I am RHed but use the mouse with my LH.

Completely horrid at first but after a while you get competent and it gives great control and subtlety to your LH, which I figure is good for drums.

Davo

If I'm just sitting around watching TV and I feel like sitting back in my chair I love practicing with just my left hand, especially finger techniques, Moeller strokes and push-pulls. It seems to help. My wife does a good job tolerating it, but I think it secretly drives her insane.

Back