Help a beginner - picking a kit

S

savage8190

Hey everyone. Been reading this forum for a while and finally joined. I've been playing guitar for a few years and I've decided to give drums a go. To be honest, I've never excelled at guitar, but always found my sense of rhythm and timing really strong so drums have been appealing to me more and more.

Anyway, I've been reading a bunch to try and figure out what I should be looking at for a beginner kit. I've found a few deals locally for new sets but I'm having trouble picking one so I'm hoping for some advice. The three sets I've found are:

Tama Imperial Star with Sabian SBR cymbals for $689. (Regular 989)
Mapex Horizon HX with the same Sabian cymbals also for $689. (Regular 810)
Yamaha Gigmaker with Paiste PST3 cymbals for $475. (Regular 799)

Keep in mind, I'm in Canada. These prices don't seem that great compared to American prices, but there is a bit of a premium on drums here...they usually run a few hundred more than the USA so these are good deals for me. Everything I've looked at is WAY more than I can spend.

Thanks!

If I had to do it all again I would have bought a nicer used kit. Why settle for something entry level when you can get a mid range used kit for the same price. Plus you'll be educating yourself in the process. Look at Yamaha Stage Custom or even something vintage if you're into older music. Take your time and enjoy the process. Cymbals are a different story. I'd recommend buying a Zildjian A cymbal pack online with a retailer who allows interest-free payments over 4 months..

If I had to do it all again I would have bought a nicer used kit. Why settle for something entry level when you can get a mid range used kit for the same price. Plus you'll be educating yourself in the process. Look at Yamaha Stage Custom or even something vintage if you're into older music. Take your time and enjoy the process. Cymbals are a different story. I'd recommend buying a Zildjian A cymbal pack online with a retailer who allows interest-free payments over 4 months..

I would do that, but I'm using a music store credit I have...I don't have much cash to throw at it so Craigslist is out. I did find a nice set of Sabian AA symbols I could grab, but I'd still have to go with a lower budget kit.

Can't go wrong with either.
I'm a Tama lover for life and they offer amazing entry-level kits, but Mapex is probably the best value-for-money company out there right now (their Black Panther snares prove that).

If you have the chance to check them out in a store before buying, do it and buy the one you like the most.
I believe the cymbals will be pure trash though

Are you buying from Long and McQuade??

If you are, check the section of "Local Store Specials"

They have some good deals there every now and then and they can transfer them to your local store for free.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=ss&DepartmentsID=6

Right now there's a Mapex Meridian Birch for $600 which is going to be a better deal. It comes with no cymbals though, but the one's you're getting are not good anyway.

Are you buying from Long and McQuade??

If you are, check the section of "Local Store Specials"

They have some good deals there every now and then and they can transfer them to your local store for free.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=ss&DepartmentsID=6

Right now there's a Mapex Meridian Birch for $600 which is going to be a better deal. It comes with no cymbals though, but the one's you're getting are not good anyway.

I am, and I saw that kit, but it has no hardware either so thats yet another expense. I'm looking at picking up that Mapex Horizon for 499 I think. I went and snagged the Sabian AA 20" ride, 18" crash, and XS20 hats that are on there.

They also had a Sonor shell kit marked down from about $1200 for $600 bucks. I dont know what model they were but thats tempting. Maybe worthwhile?

I couldn't find any Sonor at $600 but if it's reduced from $1,200 it will probably be a Sonor Force, which would make it a good deal but you have the same issue of it being just a shell pack and needing to buy hardware and cymbals. If you're in a budget, the Horizons look like a good deal.

About the hats, I'd rather spend a bit more and look for some AA or AAX instead of the XS20's.

Thanks for the help. I went in there this morning and the guy there was the friendliest salesman ever...seems like all the drum guys are always so nice...the guitar guys were always big d!@#heads; sign I'm on the right path? HA

Anyway, he gave me a killer deal on the Meridian set with full hardware! Wound up not costing much more than the Horizon so it was a no brainer. Now I just need to figure out how to set it up :)

Thanks for the help. I went in there this morning and the guy there was the friendliest salesman ever...seems like all the drum guys are always so nice...the guitar guys were always big d!@#heads; sign I'm on the right path? HA

Anyway, he gave me a killer deal on the Meridian set with full hardware! Wound up not costing much more than the Horizon so it was a no brainer. Now I just need to figure out how to set it up :)

Awesome!!

Yeah, the drum guy at my L&M store is a very nice guy too!!

Good to hear that you got a good deal on the Meridian. Enjoy setting them up, it's part of the fun of being a drummer!
Cheers

Back