Motivation and age.

.....I always felt this way. There is the professional drummer and there is the career drummer. A professional drummer would be one that gets paid to play the drums, regardless of age, for entertainment purposes. And I feel they have every right to consider themselves as being a "professional". I do. Getting paid for a service rendered is what you are doing, and usually that is considered being professional. Now, a career drummer is the one that can maintain a living by only playing the drums. No full / part time job to help supplement their financial status along with their drum pay. They are most likely a part of the musician's union as well. But I think all of us here who have played clubs, parties, teach, whatever, and that got paid, are all "professionals". But I doubt many of us can actually make enough money to support ourselves, families and life styles by playing drums alone. Those drummers are much more rare. Sometimes it's also being at the right place at the right time, which no one has control over that. Making a career from drumming is not impossible, but it is harder to accomplish. It takes even more dedication but most of all, more risk. So I say ALWAYS have a back up plan just incase.

I think you need to decide just how much risk you are willing to take. There's much competition out there and the industry is non-forgiving. Life is full of risks, but it's up to us to choose wisely.....until you decide however, practice, practice, practice and assume nothing comes easy....

Last edited:
I always wanted to be a drummer for a living too. And I was for a few years. But I couldn't make enough from it. So I left drumming for what turned out to be almost 20 years. In that time, I learned how to support myself. Now, when my house is paid off in 2 years or so, I can devote more time to gigs, because my expenses will have gone way down. So I had to alter my plan for a few decades so I can actually do what I set out to do in my youth, which is to make music, not electric, my priority. Right now I am an electrician and a part time musician, I want that to reverse in a few years.

I hate to discourage people who want to be music only, but it's hard not to. The economics of the music business...is so stacked against any young drummer trying to make it... In my mind, I'd say get your money elsewhere, and do music for the right reasons, love of music.

Another thing...you can practice till the cows come home, and you should, but keep in mind that all that work you do in the practice room is separate from actually playing along with live musicians. My point is...start playing with people.... today if possible.

I must say you really helped, I feel more at ease with myself and my motivation have gone through the roof!

I played so much yesterday I got blisters on my fingers!
I know now what I need to do.
I will stick to my daily practice routine, jam ALOT and practice what I think is fun.
And I need to find my own "thing". :)
I must thank you for all your feedback and kind comments.

Many are Called

But Few are Chosen

That said - it's never too late (even if some see you as still a kid - ha ha).

How old would you be if you didn't play drums?

At least you are not asking this at 51, 41, 31, 71, 91.

Keep playing, even if it doesn't make sense, just keep playing, more will be revealed, you will just have to trust.....

Back