Help identify this CL deal. (3-piece shell pack)

Dignan

Silver Member
Saw this on my local CL. $60 for a three piece shell pack.

Anyone know what brand these look like? It's very unique and seller says they are old. I'm looking for another practice kit or a beater to leave at the house I have started jamming at with a new band.

Any ideas on this? They look cool to me and with a little work could be useable.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msd/4850386886.html

Looks like a really cheap set that someone stripped the wrap from and did a piss-poor attempt at a fade. You can see where there are holes where the bass drum legs used to be (I'm guessing that the leg is laying there in front of the drum??).

Assuming that the PDP logo on the bass drum head is original (big assumption, since the lugs look all mismatched and none of them look like PDP lugs!!), these aren't rare, aren't vintage, and $60 is about all they are worth. I would expect to put some money into new heads, etc, but the shells don't look bad (except for the bad fade). Check the bearing edges carefully before you buy, and make sure that there are no dings or cracks around the other side of the drum from where the camera is now.

You could buy this for $60, put $100 into it (and maybe repaint/rewrap it) and have a decent kit, or it could be so much garbage that $60 is too much. I don't know that I would trust a drum shop that advertises a 10 year old mismatched kit that has been unwrapped and painted with spray paint a "vintage kit"....

Ya, I noticed the mismatched lugs (on all three drums). I would have to inspect before buying. Not sure it's worth my time/money after further investigation. Thanks.

That's exactly the kind of kit you would buy and put mesh heads on so that you can rehearse quietly in an apartment. Sound wise, it would rival that of professional grade kits.

That's exactly the kind of kit you would buy and put mesh heads on so that you can rehearse quietly in an apartment. Sound wise, it would rival that of professional grade kits.

That was exactly one of my thoughts for this kit after seeing the Remo SilentStroke head discussion in another thread. I had not heard of those and thought they'd be an excellent practice option.

It's a mismatch of drums. floor tom lugs don't match the hi tom and bass drum. Is that an 18 bass drum? Looks converted. The bass drum spurs are obviously not intact.
May be an old MIJ. Maybe oldest Yamaha for bass drum.
Actually the refinished exterior isn't so bad. Most MIJ kits have ropy looking luan on the outer ply, which does not stain well nor have as nice a grain as those.

Hey they are only $60. For $60 they would appear a decent practice kit, if those are the right sizes you need.

Hey - it's only $60. What have you got to lose?

The lugs on the small tom and the bass drum look the same - and different than the lugs on the larger tom.
They don't look bad, probably sound OK, and with a little work would probably be useable.
Like someone said, there's a lot of options for any acoustic drums.
Run them as is, put some mesh heads on for a noiseless practice set, or pop some triggers in them and get a module.

I think I'd stay clear. Looks like they need both work and heads which drives the real price up. I've seen older Export or Rockstar sets going for $150 on CL here and there. I'd rather spend on one of those and know exactly what I'm getting. That being said, glad to see you are doing well enough with that band that you are looking into a kit to leave there.

I think I'd stay clear. Looks like they need both work and heads which drives the real price up. I've seen older Export or Rockstar sets going for $150 on CL here and there. I'd rather spend on one of those and know exactly what I'm getting. That being said, glad to see you are doing well enough with that band that you are looking into a kit to leave there.

That's one of the uses I'm considering for the second kit. I'm going to jam with them again this weekend and will be bringing more of my gear this time (now that I know them a little better) and I see myself eventually wanting to leave a kit there or use for gigging (if we ever do) so I don't have to move my home kit all the time.

I may look around some more for something more well-known, or I'll save up a little more and get a used Stage Custom.

That was exactly one of my thoughts for this kit after seeing the Remo SilentStroke head discussion in another thread. I had not heard of those and thought they'd be an excellent practice option.

Not a bad idea at all. You could even cut each tom in half and make a full 5 piece practice kit with mesh heads, and eventually add triggers to make an electronic kit.

Back