Smallest Kits in Metal

Bretton

Silver Member
Lookin' for guys in metal who play tiny kits, preferable one rack one floor. Ash from 3 inches of Blood uses that setup live sometimes, and Moe from Protest the Hero uses that small setup. Then there's me... other than that, I don't know of anyone who uses such a small kit.

Brann Dailor doesn't count, he may not have many cymbals, but he has a buttload of toms.

Ben Koller from Converge, phenomenal drummer. Billy Rymer from Dillinger Escape Plan, also great drummer.

There are tons more that I can't remember.

Don't know if Periphery counts as Metal, but Matt Halpern uses one floor tom, no racks.

One rack one floor is more of a metalcore thing.

Ben Koller from Converge, phenomenal drummer. Billy Rymer from Dillinger Escape Plan, also great drummer.

There are tons more that I can't remember.

Don't know if Periphery counts as Metal, but Matt Halpern uses one floor tom, no racks.

One rack one floor is more of a metalcore thing.

Speaking of Dillinger, when Chris Pennie toured with them back in the Calculating Infinity days (I think) he used a 3-piece setup like Halpern as well.

Periphery is close enough to metal, but I'd still like to find some "true" (something that doesn't end in "core") metal drummers using a small kit. And I'd also like to find more good extreme metal bands that use a lot of clean vocals, they are few and far between (SYL/devin townsend, opeth).

My own kit is LIKE a 4 piece, but really is a 6, as I have 2 kicks and an auxiliary snare. two of everything!

Attachments

• drumsmall.JPG
    drumsmall.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,842
Lookin' for guys in metal who play tiny kits, preferable one rack one floor. Ash from 3 inches of Blood uses that setup live sometimes, and Moe from Protest the Hero uses that small setup. Then there's me... other than that, I don't know of anyone who uses such a small kit.

Brann Dailor doesn't count, he may not have many cymbals, but he has a buttload of toms.

Brann Dailor a buttload of toms? 4 to be exact, 3 rack toms 1 floor tom, that's nut a 'buttload' if you ask me.

Last edited:
he's got 2 floors in the aragon dvd, so that makes 5, even 4 is quite a few when compared with any other genre, where 2 or 3 is the norm

Take a look of Bill Ward's 6 piece drumkit.

Attachments

• Bill-at-Drums-01.jpg
    Bill-at-Drums-01.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4,381
I play metal and I play a 4 piece.

4piece.jpg

121911drums2.jpg

My friend Opus plays metal in Dead By Wednesday on a four piece kit.

BMTH use a 4piece.

Blew me away when they set it up tbh.

I can use two toms, I just choose not to.

Navene from Animals as leaders does a 4/5 piece.

I play metal and never gig more than 3 drums and 4 cymbals do I win?

I've seen tons of bigger bands with a 4 piece, thats not too weird or anything. I think?

oh yeah, sludge... Bison (BC). How could I forget Bison, I opened for them at a gig, and that's what inspired me to take some toms off in the first place. Heard they got a new drummer since then, but a guy with a similar kit, just bigger sizes. Saw him with a band called Haggatha, believe it was 14" rack, 18" floor, 28" kick, single pedal.

just looked him up, Matt Wood, used to play for 3 inches of blood too, cool.

oh yeah, sludge... Bison (BC). How could I forget Bison, I opened for them at a gig, and that's what inspired me to take some toms off in the first place. Heard they got a new drummer since then, but a guy with a similar kit, just bigger sizes. Saw him with a band called Haggatha, believe it was 14" rack, 18" floor, 28" kick, single pedal.

just looked him up, Matt Wood, used to play for 3 inches of blood too, cool.

Love 3IoB.

Jason Costa from All The Remains uses a 4 piece. Kick, snare 1 rack and one floor. Very small Tama set but sounds thunderous. He might use more but he use to just have 1 rack 1 floor.

Back