1 up, 2 down - opinion on FT sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Me Metro

I have a 2 up, 1 down configuration: 8x10” TT, 9x12” TT, 13x16” Hanging FT, and 18x20” BD.

I would like to eventually own a second kit in a 1 up, 2 down configuration (with two FTs as opposed to hanging FTs).

So far, I have decided it should consist of: 8x12” TT, 14x14” FT, and 18x22” BD; however, I am not certain what size the second FT should be.

Using the same proportional increase in sizes from my kit (2”-4”-4”), the second FT should be 18”.

I would appreciate your thoughts/opinions regarding the best size for the second FT, specifically whether you would prefer a 14x16” FT or 16x18” FT.

(I aspire to play blues/rock/jazz. I like having five voices.)

Thank you. :)

12/14/16 seems to be the most common configuration, and it's easy to achieve Major-4th/5th increments.

The two 18" FT's I tried seemed more appropriate for mimicking double-bass drum and triplet style grooves than an actual noted tom.

Personally I'd go for the 12, 14, 16 setup. I find an 18" FT a bit limited in what it can cover. The 14" is fine for a rock setup and also does Jazz and everything else you'd need.

I did the 8x12/14x14/16x16 configuration on my Pearl Reference Pure kit, and that works out well for me. Before that I had 9x13/16x16/16x18 and it just proved to be too big for me, but I'm only 5' 00".

Bigger question for me is why do you think you need an 18x22? I would avoid longer bass drums. If you want a bigger sound, go to a 14x24. More head diameter will give you a better bigger sound.

The seemingly logical choice is 16". But 18s can sound so good. I used to run 12-18-22 with my old Artstar and it was awesome. But the safe choice is 16.

I found that the second floor tom always ended up collecting dust (or towels or drinks) do I ditched it and play 12-16-24

^^This is sound advice as well.

The added hassle of carrying around another large drum, and setting it up with legs, sometimes proved to be more trouble than it was worth. And of course, after having done the extra work to add the extra floor tom, meant I'd do something musically stupid to make sure it was included in every fill ;)

Bigger question for me is why do you think you need an 18x22? I would avoid longer bass drums. If you want a bigger sound, go to a 14x24. More head diameter will give you a better bigger sound.

+1

In my experience, you'll get more fundamental tone from a shallower bass drum plus more real estate on stage.

Last edited:
Just to muddy the waters a little bit, another option is go 12" rack tom, 15" & 18" floor toms. Just a suggestion.

With my newest kit I thought I would use 8 X 12" rack with 14 X 14 and 16 X 16" floor toms. To my surprise I much prefer a 9 X 13" rack and 16 X 16" floor tom with either a 22" or 24' kick drum.

Currently I mostly use my 12" rack tom with a 14" floor and a 20" kick.

+1
In my experience, you'll get more fundamental tone from a shallower bass drum plus more real estate on stage.

+2. 14" deep kick drums is where its at.

15" FTs are cool too. I just scored a set of 15 and 16" FTs. They sound wonderful. I think I can get away without a rack tom with this setup.

Just to muddy the waters a little bit, another option is go 12" rack tom, 15" & 18" floor toms. Just a suggestion.

... To my surprise I much prefer a 9 X 13" rack and 16 X 16" floor tom with either a 22" or 24' kick drum.
Yep, yep, and yep.

My first kit with 2 floors went 13/16/18. Thing was that I felt like the 2 floors were too tonally similar. Running 2" increments on smaller drums works well enough, but when they start getting big, that 2" increase doesn't go as far since it starts getting lost in the head area % increase.

So next kit I get a 12/14/16, and shoot, now I can't get the expected heft from my first floor. Dang.

So next time I get a new kit a few years later, I go back to bigger, splitting the difference on the first floor by going 13/15/18. 15" floors are not a bad way to go - not as hefty as a 16", but definitely more balls than a 14", plus that extra separation between floors is nice.

Ah, much better! I also got a 12 so I could run it like you said, but also like you said, I much prefer a 9x13.

13, 16, 24 is a great set-up. Add a 10" tom if more voices are required.

+1 for a shallow bass drum. 14x24 is a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the responses.

I listed a 18x22 BD because I was using the DW Performance shell pack sizes for this thought experiment.

I liked the alternative suggestion of the 13, 15, and 18, but those sizes are not typical in most shell packs.

Honestly, 12/14/16 is the industry standard, easily available in shell packs and will totally cover the genres you want to play :)

Solve it the rich man's way. Buy two kits! ;-)

12/13/14/16 toms and both 24 & 18" BD's.

That way, you can have a 12/14/18 bop kit and a 13/16/24 big-daddy kit.

You can combine for almost any arrangement. You can also put them both together to form Voltron whenever the Earth is threatened.

You could just find a matching 14"?

So far, I have decided it should consist of: 8x12” TT, 14x14” FT, and 18x22” BD; however, I am not certain what size the second FT should be.
With these existing sizes, I'd add a 16x16.​
My current kit, as set up, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16, 24x14.​

Attachments

• 1 resized.jpg
    1 resized.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 2 resized.jpg
    2 resized.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 285
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back