advice please - drumset acquisition

DanR

Hello, I just registered and I salute thus, gods of drumming, wherever u are ! Could I get your help for new drum set purchase , based on the followings :
-I play all styles as intermediate ,since 10 years ago, but my first love remains rock with heavy /blues rock/classic influences ; second is funk ; little interest for jazz;
-I own since 4 years ago a 5 piece set fusion Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau ,20/10/12/14 , with added 8 tom and 16 floor tom ; it proved to be exceptional ,especially since I added a Recording 9000 snare second hand - awesome piece of art !- as you know , Yamaha mid range snares just SUCKS !
-however, I came to the conclusion that for my actual rock band , this set is not suitable enough, so ,either I want to sell it or to add a new bigger set ;
-second hand kit is not an option, usually you don't know what you get;
-price range that I could afford is 800-1200 Eur
-local drumshop in my area ( Eastern Europe) has limited offers, but still is better than order on Internet , so here is what I saw today :
-Yamah Stage Custom 22/12/13/16, 14 snare -suits with old one, snare sucks as usual -850 Eur
- Gretsch Catalina Maple -22/10/12/14/16 .14 snare- no hardware -this is awesome in finish but I don't know much about it -special offer 650 Eur ,plus Stagg rack -280 Eur
-Sonor 3007 Force 22/12/13/16, -maple ,but catastrphic colour - some pink , 1000 Eur
I don't like the hardware of this one, although I heart good things about quality

What do you recommend , sorry for the long post ?

I don't see the Gretsch or Sonor kits as really "an improvement" over the drums you have. Personally, I run almost all Yamaha hardware now. And I had a Recording Custom for quite a few years. I'd continue to add on drums, to your existing kit. Add an 18" floor tom and either a 22" or 24" kick, game over. With the combo/assortment of drums you'll have, there won't be a gig you couldn't cover.

Yeah, i totally agree with harryconway, just get a bigger kick drum and an 18" floor tom.

For your situation, I'd I either go with the recommendations you've received so far,
Or...
Invest on a Pearl Kit ( you can never go wrong w/ anything in the session series, or higher).

However, with the descriptions that you've put up so far you seem like you actually want that new kit.

I, myself, am a proud owner of a Gretsch Catalina Maple, and I'm completely in love with the look, and sound of it.
If you want to see a couple of 'action shots', check out my previous post

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46130

- Juan

PS- Don't apologize! It's a forum, people love answering these kinds of things... yes even if they're long questions.
Message me if you need anymore details on the Gretsch.

yeah , it's me again, thanks Juan, I must take in consideration also what Harryconway said, like the Gretsch doesn't in fact represent up grade vs. my actual Yamaha, which is a kind of disappointment, since it looks really great . I bet I have to try it also at the store to make a conclusion , but YES , I would be greatful for some details about it, and YES , you are right , I WANT a new set , with or without selling this old one, if I don't do it now ,cash will be spent on my wife's wardrobe :(((
Please note also that they don't have any Pearl in the offer , is it so good for the money? I could order on Internet if you give some good advise , my former loialty for Yamaha somehow vanished lately

I know what you mean Dan.
In my personal taste, I believe Yamaha should stick to Motorized vehicles,
(Like I said, personal taste).

On with the acquisition now...
Yes, a pearl kit would be the best choice for your price range and style of music, without jumping the gun and getting a DW.

I don't know exactly where you live in Europe so I can't really recommend a good website for you to check out a Pearl, however, I can tell you to go to Pearldrum.com and click on the 'Pearl Music Europe' Link on the main screen.
You can check out their manufacturing process and different sound ranges on any and every which kit.

Best of Luck, Dan!

- Juan

Hey Dan,
welcome to the forum.

I dont know if I am reading you post incorrectly but you mention already having a SC and then I believe you mention buying a new one?

I personally love my SC - just wondering why you would want to trade for the same thing?

I cant see what benefit you will get from this if your current kit isnt what you want?

But then again I am probably reading your post wrong

hi synergy, not reading incorectly, I have SC advantage nuveau already ( maybe someday I'll post some pics, looks cool with some upgrades I made) .Reason I want to buy new one , eventually to sell this old one, is that I lately play rock and this actual one is a fusion set 20/10/12/14 ,and I feel I cannot tune it enough for that level of music my band colleagues provide .Mainly cos of toms and bass drum dimensions , and a good 22 bass drum ,for example ,costs almost as all new SC rock kit -this one I found is an discounted Stage Custom -replaced by that SC Birch version launched last year.
Also, as mentioned , there is that Gretsch Catalina maple and Sonor 3007 as options ,in the same price range ...

Oh, didnt realise you had a 20 inch bass-

I you like the kit- why not buy a few mics? Would be cheaper then a new kit?

But then again, there is something nice about getting you hands on a new kit : )

hey, hello again , thanks to all for advice, I just acquired Tama Superstar Custom ( birch) , the rock variant 12/13/16 , it's amazing , die cast hoops on it are exceptional - far better than overall quality of set , I only changed skins of snare drum - which, as expected is a crap , with some Evans g1 , it is what I asked for, yesterday I had my first gig with mates in a club, quite OK ( but , fortunately , with old good Yamaha Recording 9000 14X8 snare in the set up) , this set really ROCKS!
as for old Yamaha, it will stay as fusion set , when I get older and play better jazz/funk - the dream of every drummer :))
hope these days to post some pics of both

You made a good choice. However, if possible I'd get new heads for the supes. I recommend Powerstroke 3's for toms, I am quite happy about mine. In that case, use the stock batter heads as resonant heads or get coated ambassador heads for resonant heads. That'll get you a deep, focused sound with good sustain.
For bass you might try a Pinstripe or Powerstroke 4 batter and powerstroke 3 (coated, for looks) reso.

But it's up to you.

just a side note, i playt posthardcore and my kit is a 20x20 kick, 12x8 tom 14x14 floor and 13x6.5 snare and i find i have all the power and low end i need

Back