What's the song and drummer that made you want to play drums?

rolaball

I mentioned in another thread that after learning guitar for many years but never really feeling comfortable and progressing as much as I would like I watched Zeppelin at the Royal Albert Hall and as soon as I saw Bonham launch into Were Gonna Groove it was like an epiphany I decided that was it for guitar and wanted to learn drums, obviously drums are notoriously anti social! But after a few months of only having sticks and a pad I bought a really really crappy set of CB drums which I am currently learning on and I just wish Id done it years ago but I seem to pick it up quite quick after playing another instrument and will never stop, even though I just had a lovely letter off my neighbours threatening me with the police! Which curtailed me for 4 months! My drumheads are now covered in carpet and my neighbours can go fourth and multiply!

Re: Whats the song and drummer that made you want to play drums?

I never meant to play the drums. I was just filling in for a bit and then ended up getting stuck here!

I do however remember the song that I most identify with wanting to take up bass guitar. It's not the greatest song in the world, but I just really liked the sound of the bass on this track. I didn't even know what a bass looked like until I went to the shop to get my first one!

Great choice of inspiration. You've presumably checked out the Jon Hiseman pages on Drummerworld?

You probably know that 'Keep it Simple' is a huge fan of Jon Hiseman as well.

Of course. We've talked about it in the News section in the "Valentyne Suite" thread.

Metallica- St. Anger

Oh yeah, you can shoot me if you want but when I was 13 and first heard that song, it sparked my love for music, I had never heard anything like it, from there I discovered Metallica's earlier catalogue, then moved on to Dreamtheater and the rest is history.

Now at 21, I don't actively listen to Metallica or Dreamtheater anymore, but I'm still very fond of these bands for the inspiration and courage they gave me to actually ask my parents for a drumset.

Steve white picking up sticks solo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x15i3PJ6-Wg
Saw Paul Weller live a few times, when i was 7 i saw him and when steve played this i sat with my mouth open absolutely amazed. And i still watch it and think to myself that this is how a drum solo should sound like.
Definately started my interested, yet i didnt start playing till 8 years later!

2112 by RUSH, Still makes me want to drum every time i listen to it.

Metallica- St. Anger

Oh yeah, you can shoot me if you want but when I was 13 and first heard that song, it sparked my love for music, I had never heard anything like it, from there I discovered Metallica's earlier catalogue, then moved on to Dreamtheater and the rest is history.

Now at 21, I don't actively listen to Metallica or Dreamtheater anymore, but I'm still very fond of these bands for the inspiration and courage they gave me to actually ask my parents for a drumset.
And that is all that matters. :) Just curious. What do you listen to now?

My dad has always been a musician and ive just grown up watching him play guitar mostly but he also plays the drums and piano/keyboard and he sings, he writes alot of his own music and while he was writing a new album i watched him doing the drums for it, after he was done i was talking to him about it and he gave me my first lesson of 4/4 on the hit-hat, snare on 2 & 4, bass on 1 & 3 and away i went :D

Its funny thinking back on that first lesson and how frustratingly difficult it was just to do something that seems so simple now! :)

couldn't put it down to a particular song just always for as long as i remember wanted to play drums!
My parents used to listen to Phil Collins when i was in my informative years- they swear that's the reason why I always loved drums- who knows?

And that is all that matters. :) Just curious. What do you listen to now?

I listen to stuff from every genre, from metal to pop, for example I love Weezer, Arcade Fire and The Killers, but right now I am listening to classic jazz drummers like Art Blakey and Elvin Jones, and more modern ones like Brian Blade, Mark Guiliana with the Avishai Cohen trio and Benny Greb with his fusion band.

2112 is still amazing, I own the cd and spin it every once in a while.

I listen to stuff from every genre, from metal to pop, for example I love Weezer, Arcade Fire and The Killers, but right now I am listening to classic jazz drummers like Art Blakey and Elvin Jones, and more modern ones like Brian Blade, Mark Guiliana with the Avishai Cohen trio and Benny Greb with his fusion band.

2112 is still amazing, I own the cd and spin it every once in a while.
I guess it doesn't matter what starts you out, it is where you go with it.
I basically still like the same drumming that I liked when I was a kid, and you like Jazz now. I guess some could say I have not progressed, and you have. Or maybe my tastes just haven't changed, and yours have. Maybe a good topic for another post. :)
I sure with RUSH would do another album like 2112, or Hemispheres.

oh god that was so long ago, id have to say primal concrete sledge by pantera, of course vinnie paul slammin the skins.

The drummer who made me want to play was a kid who went to school with me. He was jamming with his band, this is back when I was 12 years old, and I immediately thought, "I want to do that."

But I would say the tune that inspired me the most as a kid was Tom Sawyer, by Rush. Neil was probably my first real drum hero.

Joe Dodge, on Brubeck's "Jazz Goes to College" LP.

He was the Dave Brubeck Quartet's drummer pre Joe Morello. I heard the record over 50 years ago. Have no idea why he got to me the way he did. I think it was the simplicity. Cool jazz was in, and Dodge's playing was very cool.

Last edited:

"Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group. Still can't recall who the actual drummer was on that.

The drummer who made me want to play was a kid who went to school with me. He was jamming with his band, this is back when I was 12 years old, and I immediately thought, "I want to do that."

But I would say the tune that inspired me the most as a kid was Tom Sawyer, by Rush. Neil was probably my first real drum hero.
OK. Neil was your first drum hero, and you have a hockey avatar. Can we be friends. :)

Seeing the Beatles and Ringo on TV in the 1960s caught my attention. A decade later I got rid of my well used hand me down drums and bought a set of new Ludwig drums.

GJS

Back