DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Folks Leaving Yamaha, Tama

This is old news, but I was just curious if anyone knows why Brian Frasier-Moore left Tama? I've also seen some rumors about Steve Gadd leaving Yamaha--is this true? If so, what's he playing now?

It seems like Tama is trying to go after jazz drummers finally, though their Star kits are way out of the price range of most jazz drummers.

From what I've seen, Pearl tends to have good customer service with players; not sure Yamaha and Tama have a track record of this?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Folks Leaving Yamaha, Tama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
..... though their Star kits are way out of the price range of most jazz drummers.
Aren't jazz drummers the only guys who put $6000 worth of drums into a $600 car to go play a gig for $60?

Wait, that could be for any genre of music, eh?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Aren't jazz drummers the only guys who put $6000 worth of drums into a $600 car to go play a gig for $60?

:)

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've been hearing rumors of Gadd leaving Yamaha and leaving Zildjian for 20 years.

Hasn't happened yet.

Endorsements on that level is not just about the gear, it's about the relationship between the artist and the company. Some times a person behind the scenes leaves one company to work for another. The drummer's connection may be with that person, and will change endorsements to follow that person.

The best example:
Armand Zildjian passed away in 2002. Sometime after this, Armand's right hand man at Zildjian, Lennie Demuzio stepped down and went to work for Sabian.

Without Armand or Lennie still at Zildjian, many endorsers no longer felt like they had a strong reason to remain loyal to Zildjian, and some didn't feel as comfortable with the then new Zildjian management (even if it was Armand's daughters). Several key endorsers followed Lennie Demuzio to Sabian, others simply felt it was time to go in a different direction.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
This is old news, but I was just curious if anyone knows why Brian Frasier-Moore left Tama? I've also seen some rumors about Steve Gadd leaving Yamaha--is this true? If so, what's he playing now?

It seems like Tama is trying to go after jazz drummers finally, though their Star kits are way out of the price range of most jazz drummers.

From what I've seen, Pearl tends to have good customer service with players; not sure Yamaha and Tama have a track record of this?
He actually left Tama a few years ago and went to Drum Craft.

He then left Drum Craft for Pearl

As far as artist support,Pearl may edge out Tama and Yamaha,but not by much.

They both still have major players on their endorcer list

According to Steve Gadds website,he still endorces Yamaha and Zildjian.

Rumors are just that and until someone actually makes a move and should remain just that.

Maybe Gadd and Jordan will go to Ludwig with Vinny C and Questlove.Maybe even Paiste.

There's a rumor for you.:):)

Steve B
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Could it be that the endorsement contracts have just run their course and expired? It seems to me that's what happened to all of Yamaha's signature snare drums coinciding with the move from Japan to China. This is mere speculation on my part though.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
He actually left Tama a few years ago and went to Drum Craft.

He then left Drum Craft for Pearl

As far as artist support,Pearl may edge out Tama and Yamaha,but not by much.

They both still have major players on their endorcer list

According to Steve Gadds website,he still endorces Yamaha and Zildjian.

Rumors are just that and until someone actually makes a move and should remain just that.

Maybe Gadd and Jordan will go to Ludwig with Vinny C and Questlove.Maybe even Paiste.

There's a rumor for you.:):)

Steve B
I can see Steve Jordan going to Ludwig easily. He already plays so much vintage Ludwig gear. It just seems right to me.

I'm willing to bet Steve Gadd never leaves Zildjian or Yamaha for any reason. Hes been with those companies practically his entire career. To leave at this stage in the game, it doesn't add up.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
I can see Steve Jordan going to Ludwig easily. He already plays so much vintage Ludwig gear. It just seems right to me.

I'm willing to bet Steve Gadd never leaves Zildjian or Yamaha for any reason. Hes been with those companies practically his entire career. To leave at this stage in the game, it doesn't add up.
I would have said the same thing a year or so ago about Vinnie changing a lot of his sponsers too...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

True,but Gadd was a Ludwig endorcer prior to 76,and even played his Super Ludwig 400 COB snare with his Yamaha set.

He seems to have a great relarionship with both Yamaha and Zildjian though.

Steve B
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

The only endorsement in my mind that is "sealed" for Gadd is VicFirth Sticks and Brushes.

It's a business......
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
True,but Gadd was a Ludwig endorcer prior to 76,and even played his Super Ludwig 400 COB snare with his Yamaha set.
I didn't know he ever endorsed Ludwig.. interesting.

Also I'm pretty sure it was a COA Supra... but I could be wrong?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

He seems to have a great relarionship with both Yamaha and Zildjian though.

Steve B
I believe you are misinformed on this, prior to going with Yamaha, Steve Gadd was using a kit that comprised of a Gretsch bass drum, Pearl Fibreglass Concert toms that he had bottom heads put on and a Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum.

Prior to the Pearl/Gretsch/Ludwig kit he used a Gretsch Bop kit with Chuck Mangione.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
I believe you are misinformed on this, prior to going with Yamaha, Steve Gadd was using a kit that comprised of a Gretsch bass drum, Pearl Fibreglass Concert toms that he had bottom heads put on and a Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum.

Prior to the Pearl/Gretsch/Ludwig kit he used a Gretsch Bop kit with Chuck Mangione.
Glad to hear it, I love mongrel kits.......but where do folks learn of these details? Books? old pics?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Glad to hear it, I love mongrel kits.......but where do folks learn of these details? Books? old pics?
Gadd talked about his Gretsch/Pearl/Ludwig kit in a Downbeat in the early 70's and also in his first Modern Drummer interview. He has mentioned the Gretsch bop kit in various interviews he has done over the years. JR Frondelli noted boutique drum manufacturer and instrument repair guru has seen the Gretsch/Pearl kit in the New York studios frequently in the 70's.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post

There are a couple of vid on youtube of him using a Ludwg COW kit.I think with Stuff.

Edit..Although there are numerous pic of Steve playing thet Luddy COW kit in the early 70's,I can't find ant solid evidence that he was a Ludwig endorcer,just a player.So till then, I concede your point about endorcement Rick.

Quote:
I didn't know he ever endorsed Ludwig.. interesting.

Also I'm pretty sure it was a COA Supra... but I could be wrong?
No,he specificly mentions using a Super Ludwig 400,which is a brass shell.That pre supra COA.There are pic that I've seen of him using that 5" drum,with P-83,crimped beds,pre seril and absolutely NO pitting.

Steve B

Last edited by Bernhard; 07-26-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Never have paid too much attention to who plays what. Don't care, really. Not sure what it all means since to me it would seem that they'd hit on the stuff from whomever pays them the most or gives them the best deal on gear or free gear. Don't think it has much to do with what they like. My personal, and probably misinformed take on this.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
No,he specificly mentions using a Super Ludwig 400,which is a brass shell.That pre supra COA.There are pic that I've seen of him using that 5" drum,with P-83,crimped beds,pre seril and absolutely NO pitting.

Steve B
Oh ok. I'm glad you got back to me on this.

It surprises me that this distinction isn't more defined around the web. There is a lot of "I thinks", hear say, and rumours that Gadd used the brass supra, but just as many people saying that it had to be the alloy version.

Anyway, Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a clip of Gadd playing Pearl in 1977.

It's amazing footage if you've never seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LK4d...F8F7DA8017CE32
Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Here's a clip of Gadd playing Pearl in 1977.

It's amazing footage if you've never seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LK4d...F8F7DA8017CE32
This is so great. I think I first saw footage from this on the Zildjian tribute to Gadd, the one where all the guys like Marotta and Colaiuta pay tribute to him and he performs with James Taylor at the end. It was this era of Gadd that I fell in love with as a young drummer. Mike Mainieri on vibes and I think that's Tony Levin (with a beard and some hair!) on bass.

I wish I was in the prime of my life during that era, instead of just a kid.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Whomever started the rumour of Steve Jordan leaving Yamaha is misinformed. I received confirmation from a Yamaha USA rep that he is still with Yamaha.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM

Seems there's been a lot of shifting around lately. Tico Torres (Bon Jovi) recently left Pearl after a very long relationship and is now playing DW. But then Pearl landed a big fish with Chad Sexton, who had been with OCDP for a very long time. Seems like Chad had been with OCDP since their inception. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the first drummer to get an endorsement deal.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

Had to clean off my laptop screen after spitting up coffee on it after reading this. Thanks.
And so true.

Neal
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
Seems there's been a lot of shifting around lately. Tico Torres (Bon Jovi) recently left Pearl after a very long relationship and is now playing DW. But then Pearl landed a big fish with Chad Sexton, who had been with OCDP for a very long time. Seems like Chad had been with OCDP since their inception. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the first drummer to get an endorsement deal.
Pearl also got Tommy Lee back from DW last year. Doesn't surprise me that Chat left OCDP. They really aren't a company anymore. Guitar Center bailed them out and now sells cheap kits from Taiwan & China with the ODCP name on it.
Adrian Young & Travis Barker seem to the the only name guys still with them, and I know Adrian is part owner. I'm sure anything USA made is done so only for specific artists. Anything else has to be done through Guitar Center.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Pearl also got Tommy Lee back from DW last year. Doesn't surprise me that Chat left OCDP. They really aren't a company anymore. Guitar Center bailed them out and now sells cheap kits from Taiwan & China with the ODCP name on it.
Adrian Young & Travis Barker seem to the the only name guys still with them, and I know Adrian is part owner. I'm sure anything USA made is done so only for specific artists. Anything else has to be done through Guitar Center.
Travis Barker has been very loyal to OCDP, I would imagine he must get approaches from other manufacturers frequently.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

I totally see the Vinnie thing as far as Paiste cymbals go. Paiste has come A LONG way in getting dark, rich tones in the last 20+ years, since their Signature, Traditional, Twenty lines and bringing back the 602's. Even though they cost an arm and a leg, I think the new Paiste 602 Modern Essentials sound INCREDIBLE and for me, sound a lot richer than the A Customs he used to use. Frankly I can't STAND the A Custom rides and that was one thing about his sound I didn't like. The 22" Modern Essentials ride is just about PERFECT in every way, in my opinion.

As far as the Ludwig things goes, that seems to be more business than sound. Obviously the guy had a long-time love affair with Gretsch drums, even when he was still endorsing Yamaha. However, my understanding was, they were giving him sup-par, MIC drums at some of his overseas gigs and he was annoyed by that plus I think he wanted a company that made its own hardware and pedals with Gretsch does not. The new Atlas stuff is impressive and the pedals are really nice. I personally was hoping he'd go with DW since I think they make the best-sounding US-made drums and they are 100% in control of their shell-making, unlike Gretsch who use Keller shells. Obviously DW's hardware needs no bolstering by me. However, Ludwig is still a name that evokes certain "classic" feelings and that helps marketing. He may have had offers from DW but perhaps the money and benefits were better going with Ludwig/Muser.

As far as sticks, I'm still stoked about him going with Vic Firth since I'm a long-time user of their 5B stick, which was the basis for his Zildjian model with minor differences. I know he used Vic Firth 5B up until he got his sticks made by Zildjian. Just seems like a logical choice there.