Snare drums... can't decide...

The Black Magic has received good reviews from the industry and by all accounts, is another great snare from Ludwig. However, it is not in the same class as either a Supra or BB.

In my opinion, you probably wouldn't want both a Black Magic and either a Supra or a Black Beauty as your first two snares. If you're collecting snares, sure, go ahead. Otherwise, I'd think you'd want your second snare to offer a far different sound than your first. Perhaps metal and Wood, or a piccolo and a standard size, or whatever strikes your fancy as you try them out at your favorite store.

FYI, I think you have received some incorrect info along the way.

-- The Black Magic:
-- Is not a seamless shell;
-- Is not made in the US;
-- Is a Ludwig imported knock-off of their own coveted Black Beauty. It is designed to compete with the offerings of other manufacturers who offer Black Beauty knock-offs at a lower price-point.

A 5 x 14 Black Magic can be found for around $300. A 5 x 14 Black Beauty is $500 - 600, depending on the sale going on.

In short, the Black Magic wants to be a Black Beauty. The Black Beauty doesn't want to be anything other than what it is. The same is true of the Supra, the most recorded snare in history. Joey

I'm torn between the BB 61/2X14 and the mapex black panther of the same size.

Anyone seen or played the mapex?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mapex-Brass-Bla...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518e08f8ce

Also, is this a good deal for a B stock BB w/ a B/O badge?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Black-Be...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e3eeeb4

I have the Black Panther 14 x 5.5 hammered steel with the 2.3mm powerhoops and it is awesome. I let my friend borrow it for a gig (he's been playing a DW edge collector's series for a couple of years) and he liked it so much he ordered one the next day! I would say that the BP's tuning sweet spot is mid to mid-high. It is just a beast, especially on rim shots.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is from the brass and steel one though. Regarding the links, I think you could probably find a super clean used A stock BB for close to that same $499.00 price. If you want a BP, call the Mapex Super Store at (866) MUSIC03. The are one of the largest Mapex dealers and have the best deals on Mapex stuff that I know of. (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever other than it's where I bought mine).

I have the Black Panther 14 x 5.5 hammered steel with the 2.3mm powerhoops and it is awesome. I let my friend borrow it for a gig (he's been playing a DW edge collector's series for a couple of years) and he liked it so much he ordered one the next day! I would say that the BP's tuning sweet spot is mid to mid-high. It is just a beast, especially on rim shots.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is from the brass and steel one though. Regarding the links, I think you could probably find a super clean used A stock BB for close to that same $499.00 price. If you want a BP, call the Mapex Super Store at (866) MUSIC03. The are one of the largest Mapex dealers and have the best deals on Mapex stuff that I know of. (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever other than it's where I bought mine).

Thanks! That mapex looks ridiculous! I fell in love w/ it the 1st time i saw it. I've been obsessing over it. I just want something different than the next guy you know?

Agreed. I obsessed over which one to get and was actually surprised that I liked the Steel model best. It has just the right amount of ring without the overtones. Like I said previously, my friend retired is DW edge after one night on the BP!

I still want to get a 6.5 BB supraphonic for the 60s and 70s classic rock stuff I'm doing right now. Those things are definitely a signature sound of that era!

PS: I just noticed that the ebay link you had for the BP was the same guys I bought from. Highly recommended!

Hey Yams, i scored the 6.5x14" BP Handhammered off ebay last night for $320 w/ free shipping! Couldn't pass it up. It was a demo model from massmusic.net and i saved $160 I'll post some pics when i get it next week.

Now the obsessing is over and i can start saving for a brand new Black Beauty w/ tube lugs and the p-86. Thanks for your input.
Rob.

I'm torn between the BB 61/2X14 and the mapex black panther of the same size.

Anyone seen or played the mapex?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mapex-Brass-Bla...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518e08f8ce

Also, is this a good deal for a B stock BB w/ a B/O badge?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Black-Be...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e3eeeb4

Keep your patience and keep looking on eBay for your BB. I just got a 6.5X14 (mint newer keystone badge) hammered BB on eBay for $400 Buy It Now. That's a SCREAMIN' deal for that drum but I just kept looking and waiting. Those deals show up on eBay regularly (though not daily).

if hes not good, could santa bring to me instead, i would like one of them.

Back