Kick Drum size 24" or 22"

dr.funkenstien

Hey everyone,

I'm about to order myself a new kit from C&C Custom drums and I'm simply stuck between ordering a 22' kick or a 24" kick. Just want to know your thoughts on 24" kicks really. I\ve played 22" for about 9 years now and would like some more "oomph". I also thought about going 22" but deeper maybe 20" deep but I don't want to get a muddy sound so let me know what you think of 24" inch kicks shallow or deep any thoughts. Thanks!

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

In 1976, I used to have a 24" Ludwig kick that had the best sound. It was shallow compared to todays drums, 14" or 16" deep, can't recall. But if you have toms mounted on the kick, sometimes they are too high for certain people.
You should try playing a kit with a 24 w/mounted toms before you pull the trigger. Make sure what you buy is going to work for you.

I've had no problem getting plenty of bottom from a 14x22 (or 16x22) kick when mic'd. But I also like my 24" kicks for acoustic situations. Ideally it's nice to have both, just as you would have a few snares, and a few extra cymbals for more sounds.

Typically, the thinner the shell is, the less depth you'll need to get low-end. So a 14x22 older 3-ply shell will deliver as much lows as a more modern, thicker shell that's 16" deep. But apart from the sound, there's a playability factor: the 14" will respond better to your foot, so most drummers find it plays better and faster. With a deeper kick, even with a 22 or 20" batter, you'll find it sucks up a lot of the beater and feels a little sluggish. That might be fine for straight 1/4 notes, but for 8ths & especially 16ths, it requires more effort than a shallower drum will.

I've got a 14x24 3-ply kick that's just wonderful, I use it whenever I can.

Bermuda

I've had 20's 22's lots of 24's and now have a 26 and in my opinion 22"s are the best all around size but you will will get more low end (balls) with a 24 but be ready to work harder to play it. My 26 takes some ass to drive it.

I know someone just said you have to be prepared to work to play a 24 or 26. I'm defanetly not looking at a 26 for the time being. But what about the length of the beater? should it be longer than it is set on my 22? making it a bit more sluggish? or..

In my experience, there's a big sound difference between a 14" and 18" depth. 14" bass drums just sound a whole lot better--your articulation doesn't get lost in all of that extra space.

As for how you like to tune, do you like to tune "just above wrinkle", or do you prefer more tone from your drum? I'd get the 22" if you like JAW tuning, but the 24" if you want to tune up a little...

I own a 22x14 and a 26x14. Best of both worlds. I had a 24x14, which wasn't quite "big enough", and I had a 28x14, which was a little overkill. Also had a 20x14, which was a nice drum, but just a "tad" shy. Personally, I think the 22x14 is the "standard workhorse". If I just "had" to limit myself to 1 kick .............. naw, never.

22x20 will give you that deep resonant funk-style bass. The extra two inches does indeed make a huge difference. It's just a tad more difficult to haul around and harder to find a case for.

Also, don't forget that your foot will have to do more work to get a clear note because of the extra depth.

Personally, I think the 22x14 is the "standard workhorse". If I just "had" to limit myself to 1 kick .............. naw, never.

If I had to pick just one, that would be it as well. BUT, it has to be a thinner shell in order to get good low end.

Bermuda

22x20 will give you that deep resonant funk-style bass. The extra two inches does indeed make a huge difference. It's just a tad more difficult to haul around and harder to find a case for.

Also, don't forget that your foot will have to do more work to get a clear note because of the extra depth.

yuppers, my 22"x20" kick does have that tonality to it. espsecially without any muffling inside or anythiing like that. that thing is boomy! although in regards to the case thing it fits fine in my Protection Racket 22"x18" Bass Drum case. a touch in the snug side but no problems thus far.

-Jonathan

Also, while unnecessary most of the time, a 24x20 bass drum really does look like a cannon, ie big and awesomez! Even if only for looks and a very few applications, I still want to have a three piece kit one day with this huge bass as my anchor.

I use a 22x18 and it sounds nice, but I've really been pining for a 24x14. I used to have one and it was probably my favorite kick ever.

I love hearing so many people chiming in on the shallower 14" depth. They just seem punchier and all that "cannon" you get with the deeper shells seems to get lost once the band is up and running.

i'm not sure it takes that much extra to play a 24", but i've grown up doing it so i dunno. but i agree that a 14x24 would give you that ooomph with out sacrificing playability.

I'm gonna jump on the 24x14 band wagon here too, it's an incredibly versatile size. You can throw on some P3's and tune it low and for a huge, deep and fat thump and the shallower depth will still retain enough clarity for heavier and faster musical styles. Or you could throw on some Ambassadors or Fiberskyns, crank 'em up and delve into funk city.

I've got a 22x16 and a 24x17 and I have way more fun with my 24. You can very easily make a bigger drum sound smaller, but you can't really make a small drum sound bigger/deeper than it is. IMO big bass drums rule. One day I'm gonna get me a 26 and a 28 too!

That's easy the 24".

I have (2) 4-piece kits ones a 20" & the other is a 24" one of these days i'm gonna get rid of the 24" & get a 26" because as others posted BIG BASS DRUMS RULE.

Bonzolead

I have a 20x20 cannon, and I absolutely love it. Also, it provides a high level of flexibility in tom positioning.

Keep it in mind!

Thanks everyone for the responses, yeah I'm reaaally leaning towards the 24. I love the big boomy sound and I can't tweak that out of a 22. So, I'm just pretty much down to depth now, I'm thinking big 24 x 20 maybe? I really want some balls on this kick.

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums
Go with the Ludwig Centennials. Ive seen them upclose and there beautiful for the money.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Back