Ginger Baker Turns 75: The Strange Life of Rock's Wildest Drummer

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Ginger Baker Turns 75: The Strange Life of Rock's Wildest Drummer
By Alex Magdaleno

gingerbaker-on-drums.jpg

The percussive genius behind the legendary British rock trio Cream turned 75 on Tuesday.

For all his iconic status, Baker couldn't tell you why he's so talented. "I just do what I do," Baker told The Guardian. "I don't think about it."

He continued: "That's the problem with so many people — when they think. They spend all day practicing something and then go to the gig and play what they practiced."

Full story:

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Mashable seems to forget a bit. I know time does that. Ginger's a great guy but, I'm not sure they really thought when dubbing him the wildest drummer. Compared to whom? - John Bonham, Keith Moon, Bill Ward ... ? Among the wildest possibly but probably not "the wildest".

Best line in article:
"If a plane went down and there was one survivor, it would be Ginger," Elizabeth Ann Baker, his first wife, told the Rolling Stone. "The devil takes care of his own."

Some say nobody knows you as well as a spouse.

Great drummer. As for his lifestyle, it's his life to live.

I'm not sure they really thought when dubbing him the wildest drummer. Compared to whom? - John Bonham, Keith Moon, Bill Ward ... ? Among the wildest possibly but probably not "the wildest".

I thought the same thing when I read that. I guess the last of the old wild men still standing.

Best line in article:
"If a plane went down and there was one survivor, it would be Ginger," Elizabeth Ann Baker, his first wife, told the Rolling Stone. "The devil takes care of his own."

Some say nobody knows you as well as a spouse.

Great drummer. As for his lifestyle, it's his life to live.

Too funny! He and Keith Richards are a mystery. My guess is it's their passion for playing that keeps them alive despite the mountains of gunk they've put in their bodies.

when listening to Cream, Sunshine Of you love, I cant tell what he is hitting. snare, tom bass? it all sounds the same. such a crappy sound no wonder its hard to replicate. I guess what makes him great was really crappy, flat, non resonate sound.

White Room is the other one you cant tell what drum is being used. Mr Cardboard Sound!!

Last edited:
I guess what makes him great was really crappy, flat, non resonate sound.

White Room is the other one you cant tell what drum is being used. Mr Cardboard Sound!!

Don't forget it's recorded in 1966 in a 4 track studio, and a producer/engineer is responsible for many sounds that come out of a studio anyway. Really good drum sounds don't start showing up until later 60's.

Go on u-tube and have a listen to some of his live recordings (pre-Cream) with Graham Bond Organization. His drums and drumming sound excellent ....for that time period (1964 or so)

Too funny! He and Keith Richards are a mystery. My guess is it's their passion for playing that keeps them alive despite the mountains of gunk they've put in their bodies.

I think its totally genetic, no? Some bodies just can survive more toxicity.

Don't forget it's recorded in 1966 in a 4 track studio, and a producer/engineer is responsible for many sounds that come out of a studio anyway. Really good drum sounds don't start showing up until later 60's.

Go on u-tube and have a listen to some of his live recordings (pre-Cream) with Graham Bond Organization. His drums and drumming sound excellent ....for that time period (1964 or so)

ive heard people say they love his sound, whats there to love on those records?

ive heard people say they love his sound, whats there to love on those records?

what i meant is I separate his *drumming* (patterns, chops etc.) from the sound of his drums. i'd agree with you the recorded sound of his drums on Cream tracks is not great. as to whether one likes his drumming, that's another matter.

when listening to Cream, Sunshine Of you love, I cant tell what he is hitting. snare, tom bass? it all sounds the same. such a crappy sound no wonder its hard to replicate. I guess what makes him great was really crappy, flat, non resonate sound.

You really have to listen to the" Wheels of Fire',live portion of the album,and the same with Goodbye Cream.Then there are some bootlegs of Cream and two live albums,where his sound is much more organic and open..There are loads of youtube visd and one of then playing "Sunshine," and you can see exactly how Ginger plays it.Worth checking out

Steve B

You really have to listen to the" Wheels of Fire',live portion of the album,and the same with Goodbye Cream.Then there are some bootlegs of Cream and two live albums,where his sound is much more organic and open..There are loads of youtube visd and one of then playing "Sunshine," and you can see exactly how Ginger plays it.Worth checking out

Steve B

shouldn't have to rely on youtube for proof of a good sound. they didn't lay it down on the two hits I mentioned, unless you think those sound good?

shouldn't have to rely on youtube for proof of a good sound. they didn't lay it down on the two hits I mentioned, unless you think those sound good?

Both of those are pretty typical boxy sounding drums,on those two recordings,but again very typical of the time.But the bands live stuff from the late 60's sounds so much better,and Bakers drum are unmuffled and wide open.On most of those recording he used a 20x11 and a 22x11 (yes 11" deep bass drum) and 12/13/14/16 toms and either a 14x6.5 Leedy broadway snare of a 14x5 supra with tons of older Zildjians.

Steve B

Both of those are pretty typical boxy sounding drums,on those two recordings,but again very typical of the time.

Very typical. In the 70s I dampened my drums to sound flat and cardboard boxy. Apart from my lack of tuning skills, I was trying to sound like the drummers I saw in the local bars.

It should be said that deadened drums are great for certain effects and tom-based grooves without cluttering the bottom end with overtones. Horses for courses.

Yeah, Baker is a real trip. I loved it when he would go after Jack Bruce saying that Bruce was "too busy" on the bass. This coming from one of the busiest drummers of the time. He said this when they were both in Graham Bond. I was surprised when Clapton convinced Bruce to play with Baker again in Cream. This animosity born of Baker's arrogance was probably why Rick Grech was the bass player for Blind Faith. It's a shame. It cost us the chance to hear Jack Bruce and Steve Winwood singing together. He also gave an interview where he said that he'd never play a certain beat. That turned out to be the exact beat that he used for "Sunshine Of Your Love". He was an early idol of mine until I met him. After that I couldn't stand to hear him play. I'll take Ian Paice or Bill Bruford or Andy White or...........

Am I the only one who likes the drum sound from White Room? They're fairly good for the time, plus Ginger was probably smacked off his tits when he recorded it. At least they're in tune!

You can't judge history by todays standards. There were a lot of worse drums sounds before and after this. St Anger anyone?

The guy is up there with the very best in terms of being influential. One of the first to transfer jazz over into mainstream rock.

Mad as a box of frogs mind.

Y I was surprised when Clapton convinced Bruce to play with Baker again in Cream. This animosity born of Baker's arrogance was probably why Rick Grech was the bass player for Blind Faith. It's a shame. It cost us the chance to hear Jack Bruce and Steve Winwood singing together. He also gave an interview where he said that he'd never play a certain beat. That turned out to be the exact beat that he used for "Sunshine Of Your Love". He was an early idol of mine until I met him. After that I couldn't stand to hear him play. I'll take Ian Paice or Bill Bruford or Andy White or...........

Interesting. According to Clapton's autobio, there was no plan at all for Bruce or Baker to be in Blind Faith. EC wanted to get away from both. He was jamming with Winwood at his house and Ginger Baker showed up, pretty much signed himself on. Now, according to Baker's autobio, they showed up at Winwoods house at the same time. Its clear from Baker's autobio his memory is hazy, selective, and he was pretty much a jerk with an anti-social personality. I totally marvel at his drumming though. Nobody else sounds like him.
What happened when you met him to turn you off?

Its clear from Baker's autobio his memory is hazy, selective, and he was pretty much a jerk with an anti-social personality.

Back in the 60's and 70's where Ginger lived there were not very many drummers. And very few good ones.
Today other musicians would not put up with Ginger Baker because there are so many other great drummers available.

Back