Vintage Slingerlands

sethlowden

Hi there, checking back in again about more drums I am kicking the tires on. I got some pictures of some Slingerlands a guy has for sale. He says they are from the 1950s. I hope to go look at them before long. They may have potential, always hard to say from small pictures. I don't know anything about the tom mounts on old Slingerlands, do those look stock? Comments, observations welcome. I have benefited greatly from info here, and always appreciate it greatly! Thanks!

Attachments

• clslingies.jpg
    clslingies.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 746
  • clslingies2.jpg
    clslingies2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 649
  • snarecl.jpg
    snarecl.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 743
I am not a Slingerland expert, however, I would say NO. I seriously doubt that gigantic metal plate on top of the bass drum is original. I would further suspect you will find a great gaping hole it is covering up. Also, the little I know of Slingerland would probably guess these in the mid 1960s.

Maybe I am wrong, I do not know slingerland drums.

I bet you are right about the age of the drums. I think that the tom mount might be original though. Looks a bit suspect but I have seen photos of similar big plates on the bass drum.

Now that you mention it, the bass drum looks pretty darn small...

If the badges are unmolested, that's the primary way to tell. Chicago goes through '59 or '60, and Niles picks up right after that. So that blue sparkle snare - assuming the badge is original to the drum - is a '60s (or later?) snare.

But the '50-60 era Slingys are nice, mahogany shell with tall maple rings. If the edges are good, they'll sound warm and punchy.

Bermuda

I've seen Sling tom mounts like that, so I doubt it is a replacement. Here's my take on this kit:

8 lug bass drum should be a 20". So, if you like 20's cool. The 2 rack toms look like they are the same size. Slingerland did make kits with (2) 12" toms. Don't ask me why. Makes no sense to me. Floor tom looks like a 16. So for me 12,12,16,20 is kind of an odd kit. If it were me, I'd look for 12,13,16,22 or 12,14,20. Those are the kits that make sense to me. But that's just me. There are plenty of vintage kits around that have those sizes.

It is not a 50's Slingy kit as others have already said.
In the 60's Slingerland sold 5 piece kits with same sized rack toms as did other manufacturers.
I can't see the tom mount clearly enough from the pics to Identify it.
The knob is missing from the Zoomatic strainer on the snare drum.
It appears to be an Artist snare which is good.
The mufflers that can be seen inside of the toms also look to be 60's
If you look inside of the shells there should be a date stamp near the seam.
If the original COB hoops that are missing in the pics are lost that is a big devaluing factor.
I would say that the value of that kit as it sits is about $450.

Last edited:
What great people there are here, thanks! I suspect it is a 12/12 rack tom kit, with a 20 inch bass drum. I will wait to hear back again from the owner- the big deciding factors for me are the overall price and the cymbals. I have done well on eBay selling cymbals, and I would not mind a one up one down kit in the garage, keeping the extra tom for resale... thank you!

the brass g badge on snare definitely 1960's, pre 1969.
rest (also blue sparkle?) also looks 60's at the earliest but could be into the 70's
not all Sling shells have date stamp, they will have the M or P
worrisome is no reso head hoops - hopefully bearing edges not damaged

OK..that is definately a post 63 Niles,Ill. badge Slingerland Modern Solo outfit,with a matching Artist model snare.Prior to 60,the drums would have a Chicago badge It should have come with a soungking COB snare,but that may well be steam bent ,singly ply Artist snare...very desireable.They are 3 ply mahogany/poplar and are great sounding drums.That wrap ,believe it or not,has two sides to it.If you lift it up.it's red sparkle under the blue sparkle.

That mount is correct for the kit,as are the two 12" toms.All the American drum companiers ,when first introducing the "twin" toms mounted on the bass drum,uses two 12x8 '...because it looked symetrical.

The toms,may not have vents/badges,which Slingerlan only did post 65 or so,so that would be correct.The shells should also date stamps and a large P ink stamp,on the interior.

That zoomatic strainer on the snare is missing the adjustment knob just FYI.

AND...this my 5000 th post.

Steve B

AND...this my 5000 th post.

Steve B

Wd_Congratulations.png

congratulations! This is 200 for me.

I have not gotten to see them yet, but oddly enough the screw is in the zoomatic in one picture. Hopefull about the hoops and bearing edges...

Bumping this since I was not able to connect with the seller. I finally got ahold of him, and may look at them this weekend. The tom hoops are all MIA. Would they be chrome over brass? I have a lead on a red tiger pearl set of similar vintage, which I think is complete, with artist snare and COB snare both. I don't need either one, so I will only proceed if I get a great bargain...

Back