Fastest Double Bass Player?

Hey i checket out that stench drummer and his footwork is pretty insane could be playin 16ths at 250 or 260bpm but im not convinced its actually him playin...the cymbals sound very drum machine so he could be usin machine for bass drums also...hope im wrong but thats my verdict anyway :)

Re: Double Bass

onggie said:
The fastest I have heard is Travis from Trivium. But I don't to much of the fast double bass etc stuff. Eg a lot of the heavy metal stuff.

Yeah he is insane, in Decieved he plays so fast it just blows me away.

In my opnion there is only so fast that someone can kick the pedals, until your going to loose the whole effect. There are a lot of drummers that kick like crazy. One drummer that i find can kick very fast is the guy from Fear Factory. A number of their songs drum tracking is based around the double kicks, and he can kick damn fast!

Well There is loads of really fast double pedal/double bass drum players around, in my view a few of the fastest double bass drum players around are Dave Mclain From Machine Head,Dainel Erlandsson from Arch Enemy and Gene Hoglan from Strapping Young Lad.But the fastest who knows???? could be some guy (or girl) we don't even know!!!!!!

Nicholas Barker is pretty quick, I've always had a thing for his blast beats, very precise. Haake is very fast, but he's got so much technique. I really like Paul Bostaph's playing on Slayer's "God Hates Us All" not that it was really incredibly fast, but it was very powerful, but I really prefer Lombardo over Bostaph for sheer power. Lombardo seems to have more power than speed though, he cracks bones and bends steel with each of his digits.

Oh and the guy from Fear Factory is Raymond Herrera, amazing drummer. He uses patterns rather than straight double bass. It's so much cooler sounding than straight LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR (ZzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzz)

Hy all! I'm French, and I advise you to listen to this french metal band : Gojira
The Drummer, Mario Duplantier has a very good et fast double bass technic, he said in an interview that his goal when he was younger was to go faster than Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel...
Linsten to it please, i Think you won't be disappointed..

Gojira's Dicography :
Terra Incognita (2000)
The Link (2003)
From Mars To Sirius (2005) (my Avatar is the cover of this album)

I listen to Gojira alot, IMO they are the best metal band around. Thats besides the point tho, the tracks I would suggest if you want to hear his double bass skill would be Remembrance firstly as the part at the end is crazyness. Also In The Forest and for different reasons I would listen to Flying Whales.

If you dont want to download their stuff you can go to their official site where all three of their albums plus some other tracks and available to listen for free.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say WHO FRIKKIN' CARES??

if being the fastest is all you're concerned about then your chances of being a "band" player have just been narrowed down considerably.

i get more excitement out of listening to the drummers who played on the old motown, james brown, or al green tunes, or guys like mick fleetwood, simon kirke, phil rudd, or tony brock any day then any "fast" drummer.

when the f*** are you guys gonna get your heads out of your ass with the speed crap? yes, speed is good if it is called for in a particular song. but to obsess about it shows how frikkin' stupid some drummers are.

if it was all about speed some of the greatest ballads of all time wouldn't have ever been recorded.

Who said its ALL about speed?
You'd thinking talking about speed was a crime by the way some people react to it. There is nothing wrong with discussing any aspect of drumming, be it groove, musicality or balancing sticks on your earlobes.

Relax, please.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say WHO FRIKKIN' CARES??

if being the fastest is all you're concerned about then your chances of being a "band" player have just been narrowed down considerably.

i get more excitement out of listening to the drummers who played on the old motown, james brown, or al green tunes, or guys like mick fleetwood, simon kirke, phil rudd, or tony brock any day then any "fast" drummer.

when the f*** are you guys gonna get your heads out of your ass with the speed crap? yes, speed is good if it is called for in a particular song. but to obsess about it shows how frikkin' stupid some drummers are.

if it was all about speed some of the greatest ballads of all time wouldn't have ever been recorded.

I see your point but you point out old motown songs as an example of how speed isn't important. The people on this thread are mostly metal players. They want to sound like Lombardo more than Stubblefield.

... and they certainly don't want to play ballads.

But yeah, who frikkin cares who the fastest is. A player either kicks ass or he doesn't.

But yeah, who frikkin cares who the fastest is. A player either kicks ass or he doesn't.

Totally agree.

You will also find this to be the consensus of nearly everyone actually possessing these particular abilities. I sure as heck don't go home thinking about it 24/7.

Leon Macey of Mithras is very fast on hands and feet, not to mention being a very good drummer in terms of style/dynamics. He reaches 270bpm 16ths double bass on their latest album 'Behind The shadows Lie Madness' on track 11 (Thrown Upon The Waves). The section lasts for around 2 minutes so isn't just a quick 10 sec blast. He's criminally underrated as a drummer - probably due to the fact that he's equally as good on guitar.

Sean Broster of Sarpanitum is also fast.

Last edited:
Wow, it is amazing how some people go absolutly mental over some guy doing a really fast 16th note pattern on double kick for about 5 minites in the song!

The fastest double bass drum player could either be charlie benante or dave lombardo. I always thought they we're PERFECT opponents. lombardo is better in endurance, but charlie is faster with double bass.

dunno if anybodys mentioned this already but the reason i like Dave Lombardo best is because he doesnt use triggers unlike most of the other people in metal etc and still gets brutal hits at 840 (in angel of death, dunno if he goes faster elsewhere). few others do

Re: Double Bass

I think that Steve Ashiem is an amazing drummer. For example listen to Scars of the crucifix it shows his skill on the set!

Their latest album "The Stench of Redemption" blew my (already positive) opinions on Asheim out of the water!

In the title track and "Homage For Satan", for instance, he's playing 16th-notes at 240BPM (under blast beats, of course) for most of the song(s), compared to previous Deicide efforts, where the speed averaged 180-200BPM.

Totally agree.

You will also find this to be the consensus of nearly everyone actually possessing these particular abilities. I sure as heck don't go home thinking about it 24/7.

I completely agree.

No offence to the fans of the fastest drummers and even the guys who watch and compete in WFD.....I just don't get why being the fastest drummer in the world is such a cool thing....and this is coming from someone who did spend 10 years playing double kick..I have far more fun concentrating on single kick and groove these days....and i'm still a huge metal fan.

Back