DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

In an effort to get my feet in better shape, I've hooked up a make-shift practice kit basically consisting of a snare pad, a double pedal, and a carefully positioned pillow pressed against the end of my bed. Is anyone aware of any technique flaws that could be created by practicing foot work against a pillow?

This is TamaDrummerBoyofDoom. I forgot my password, so I'm going to use Tamsabian from now on.

Double bassing is only as usefull as you make it. I am at 260bpm right now. In common time, I can play 16th notes with each individual foot. I other words with just my right foot i can play 16th notes (1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a), and with just my left foot I can play 16th notes (1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a). Combine them and you get 32nd notes in common time (260bpm).

How? Well there are three factors. First is your style of pedaling, second is the setup of the pedal, and third is the setup of the throne. I use a Tama Iron Cobra Junior (not the Iron cobra regular, mine has different beaters and reads TAMA on the pedals. Costs less too...haha) If you get a pedal, get one that will not burn a hole in you wallet, but will also allow for adjustabilty of the position of the beaters.

Setup of the throne: First, raise your throne so that your thighs are parallel to the pedals. Then raise it an additional 2 inches. Your legs should be pointing downward, but not hanging. Then place a piece of 1/4 of an inch of ply wood underneath the back legs of the throne so you back with be tucked in. This prevents you from leaning back, and tiring out you lower back.

Setup of the pedal: Now the pedal modifications. Lower the beaters towards the bass drum head so that the beaters are about 4 inches from the bass drum head. This will not reduce the volume when you pedal the bass drum.

How to pedal: Now that you legs are on the throne resting, pedal using only your foot. Simply tap your foot on the pedal. You'll notice that you use only your calf, rather than your whole leg. You never want to generate your power from your hips, lower back, or thighs, because they will all get sore and tire easily. Remember to make full strokes, returning back to the pedal's original position before making another stroke, and always keep your foot on the pedal. Note that you can only get above 240 bpm by this method.
YO, THIS WORKS,ARE YOU PUTTING YOUR WEIGHT ON THE BALLS OF YER FEET AND USING THAT FOR BALANCE, THE SEAT ANGLE FEELS WEIRD AT FIRST BUT SURE HELPS WITH THE LEANING BACK, BALLISTIC INDEED!

Hey all, how's everyone doing? Thanks to all who have posted, there has been some really helpful insight on this thread. I've been working on the double bass thing since October and it has been frustrating to say the least. One day I'm playing 16ths at 230(sloppy as hell) the next day my co-ordination is shot at 130. I'm convinced that there is no substitute for extremely slow and deliberate practice. I'm talking 16ths at 40 bpm. This gets pretty boring, but the body is alot slower than the mind and needs very clear and simple to understand instruction if any progress is to be made. I've found this to be useful with the ankle only movement that guys like George Kollias use. I also belive in the three P's. PATIENCE, PERSISTENCE, POSITIVE( attitude ) Thanks again and never stop playing!

Hey drummer guys....

I am physiotherapist and drummer .
My tip :

Every individual person will adept in another way to speed.

I would practice : heel up and heel down : single foot and both together.

Dont waste much energy in analysing technique of one of your favourit drummer or of someone else .

It leads to NOTHING ! and yes I have tried many many things out ... I think all :)
The spring tension : some fast drummers tighten it uo some loose it up .

I came up with this : If you playing heel up only : tight playing heel down : more loosely

Just try it

I play heels down, yet I tighten my pedal up quite a bit, gives me more feedback. The left side of my twin pedal (not two bassdrums, can't afoord it and personally I think a twin pedal is more tasteful but that's just my opinion) is a little looser than the right side, but I believe I will tighten it up in the future when I get the left foot coordination better.

I do think it's not good to just rush into metal beats from the start, it is a good idea to do some basic rudiments (as was already said in the beginning of this thread), first using 8th notes. I have a book called Leonardo Euro Drums, there's a section containing rudiments that are meant for your hands but you could choose to do them with your feet. But there's also a section with about 85 patterns for double bass playing. Starts with 4-limb rudiments for basic coordination and limb independence, sequences that are hard to apply in most musical situations but really challenge your coordination and limb independence. After the rudiments there's a dozen grooves involving double bass.
It is very hard to play 16th notes constantly throughout a song (I get sloppy after 2 or 3 measures already), begin with patterns like the "under a glass moon" groove explained by mike portnoy (video here on drummerworld).

I also agree with the three P's of fiftyman: Patience, Persistence, Positive attitude. Keep those 3 P's and you'll be playing along to sonata arctica in 4 months (means I have 3 more months to go, I'll see if I can back it up by then :) )

Hey all, fiftyman here, wassup? The thing I just realised is that the left foot has to learn how to bounce. I was practicing all these ankle and heel down methods, but could not get a nice powerful flow at say 120 to 140. Just practicing a full leg drop/ bounce with my left leg seemed to provided the missing link in the co-ordination that was eluding me. Who knows maybe the next time I sit down it won't work but I think/hope I'm on to somethng, hmmmm...........

THE ENEMY OF THE GREAT IS OFTEN THE GOOD!

If you want to make your double-bass drum dreams come true there are only two words:

STICK CONTROL

After years of failed attempts and practice methods, this I have found to be the best tool for achieving great technique and ability.

Set your metronome to a speed that you feel comfortable playing pattern 13 on pg 5 at, (RRRR LLLL). Now take that metronome setting and take it down 5 bpm. The key is to practice at a speed that you can do anything at, and have completely mastered. What I do is go through stick control to the end of the flam section on this comfortable tempo, then once I have gone through half of the book to this point, which has covered a wide arrange of various patterns (singles, doubles, triplets, flams), I feel I have completely mastered this tempo. Then I bump the metronome up 2 bpm. It is a slight change, but so slight that it isnt terribly noticeable and is just out of your comfort zone. I then repeat the same routine of going through stick control. It takes me roughly 2 weeks per tempo, but after a month of this method I noticed dramatic improvement and control I never had with my feet before.

I also get awesome results using this method with my hands as well.

This has probably been said before...but if it hasnt.....

STRETCH!

always always stretch after drumming

Hey,
could someone help me to find the derick healtoe video?
I need it but i don´t find it.

.Tobi

speeding ur duble bass drum pedal time

my fend told me this and i hav thoguth about this and if you want to increase ur bpm on the bass drum then when after u hav pressed down with the front off ur foot then kick it with the ur heel and then bring the toes forward again and hit and continually do this

Re: speeding ur duble bass drum pedal time

sounds like the reverse of heel-toe technique your talking about. You're right though, it does work, and I've used it, but for me it is more natural to kick the heel then press down the toe (this is generally more common as well). It depends on the style you play the bass pedal too, like I play heel down most of the time, so for me its easier to press heel then toe; heel up playing though would work to go from toe to heel. You have to watch with a double pedal that all the double strokes come out even, or else it will sound like your playing a bunch of really fast flams though.

Ur was an ancient city in southern Mesopotamia, located near the mouth (at the time) of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers on the Persian Gulf and close to Eridu. It is considered to be the earliest known civilization in world history. Because of marine regression, the remains are now well inland in present-day Iraq, south of the Euphrates on its right bank, and named Tell el-Mukayyar [1], near the city of Nasiriyah south of Baghdad.

The site is marked by the ruins of a ziggurat, still largely intact, and by a settlement mound. The ziggurat is a temple of Nanna, the moon deity in Sumerian mythology, and has two stages constructed from brick: in the lower stage the bricks are joined together with bitumen, in the upper stage they are joined with mortar. The Sumerian name for this city was Urim.[2]

Yea dis teckniqe seams 2 werk goode wit speead i yuse it sumtimes cuz it helps wit u going faste. i like it alut.

I'm sorry I just couldn't help myself!

Peace
AGR

You guys are talking about the heel toe technique right?

Derek Roddy and George Kollias use the flat foot technique or slight variations of it. Search around for it, its what i use and i find very effective for speed and power.

Ur was an ancient city in southern Mesopotamia, located near the mouth (at the time) of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers on the Persian Gulf and close to Eridu. It is considered to be the earliest known civilization in world history. Because of marine regression, the remains are now well inland in present-day Iraq, south of the Euphrates on its right bank, and named Tell el-Mukayyar [1], near the city of Nasiriyah south of Baghdad.

The site is marked by the ruins of a ziggurat, still largely intact, and by a settlement mound. The ziggurat is a temple of Nanna, the moon deity in Sumerian mythology, and has two stages constructed from brick: in the lower stage the bricks are joined together with bitumen, in the upper stage they are joined with mortar. The Sumerian name for this city was Urim.[2]

Where's Hammurabi?! Bring him to me!

I believe one of the laws in the Code of Hammurabi said you shouldn't type in all caps and you should spell out words, unless you want to confuse people.

Absolutely, unless you want to face 'extreme manipulation of the limbs.'

Back