Which one do you think is the best option i play rock
Tama starclassic maple shell pack 10x8, 12x9 16x14 and 22x18
Mapex saturn iv mh exotic shell pack 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14 and 22x20
Tama 2199.00
Mapex 1929.00
I would like to know about the sound and quallity
Thanks

Ernesto

Welcome to the forum. Please try to post in the proper section. I moved this to drums from General Section, and if you peruse the drums section you will see a ton of drum comparisons that should help in your decision.

I'm not familiar with Mapex but you can not go wrong with the Starclassic maples. It depends on what your into. The Starclassics have an edge to them but they are great, good luck.

Mapex Saturn is the answer to all questions in the universe.

If you have any further questions refer to the "Drummerworld Dictionary" that should cure your quest for information.

Thanks for the answers
i would like to know your opinion about the quality in both kits
which one could be the best option for the money
If there too much difference in sound.
The SC maple shells are 5mm and the Saturn are 6.15mm walnut/maple/walnut
is the shell thickness something to wory about?

ernesto

I need your help to decide thanks
i can't try the drums where i live there is no way to try the drums

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges.Shall thickness does affect sound....but something to worry about?They're both well made drum sets,but Tama have been at it longer,and those starclassics come with diecast rims also.You really have to listen to both kits,and others as well like Ludwig,Gretsch ,Yamaha,and Pearl just as an example.

The shell material is totally different also,so they both sound good,but just different,Neither one is better than the other at that price point.

I think the starclassic maple or birch/bubinga drums sound great.The Ludig classic maple,Legacy and Keystone lines are also great sounding drums,but they all are made well,but they just sound different.Let your ears decide,not somebody elses.

Steve B

Perhaps you should listen to soundfiles of both kits on the internet. The walnut in the Saturns gives them a darker tone IMO. Both sets are topnotch and you cannot fail.

Mapex Saturn drums are heavy in both weight and sound.
They are full and robust. They always have strong presence whether they are tuned tight or loose. They also produce full rich tones that are on the warm side of the sound spectrum.

Well, I have owned both kits you describe (still own the Saturn). In my opinion, as far as quality go, there is no big difference at all. They are both well made pro-kits. But as others have said, they do sound different, and especially since you are looking at different sizes on both kits as well. I myself prefer "standard" depth on the toms (10x8", 12x9", 14x14" etc.), and a bassdrum that is at the most 18" deep. I myself hate the 22x20" bassdrum, I had it on my Starclassic kit, in in my opinion it was a pain in the a** to carry around, fit on stage, and to control it soundwise, it's just too boomy for my taste. Tried several different heads, never got the sound I was looking for.The bassdrum was the main reason I sold the Starclassic kit actually. Soundwise I think both sound incredible (despite from that bassdrum, the toms were lovely)), but the Starclassic is maybe a bit more focused because of the die-cast hoops, but the Saturn has a lower fundamental tone, because of the maple/walnut mix in the shells.

If you only have those options you listed in those sizes, I would pick the Tama, simply because of the sizes. But you might feel otherwise, and I wouldn't hesitate about recommending the Mapex either.

Back