Impulsive Gear Purchase Regrets

baz

Silver Member
...Hola dot comrades.

As a shameless, self admitted gear whore, I have way more stuff than I could ever posibly need, yet I still keep looking for more.

I try to be as reasonable, and responsible as I can when it comes to any major gear purchase, but every now and again, I throw all caution to the wind, and take the plunge.

As such, I sometimes find myself wondering what the hell was I thinking when I shelled out my hard eaned money for this ?

Topper most of the popper most on my list of what was I thinkings would have to be my tiger ash kit. I remember how I agonized over that kit when I first saw it. It was used, and the priced was too good to pass on. My evil plan at that time was to swap out the brass hardware that I had on my wmp kit for the chrome. Beyond that however, I was basically left with a really nice kit that I would seldom ever play.

How about you my brothers and sisters. have any of you come to regret your impulsive percussive consumerism ? If so, what are your biggest, or most annoying regrets.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Barry

Last edited:
I regret buying my drumset, my cymbals, my pedals, sticks, heads, etc... Now I am an addict....

"Hi, My name is Ian Pasquini and I am a drum addict, I haven't played drums in 4 and a half hours."

Topper most of the popper most on my list of what was I thinkings would have to be my tiger ash kit. I remember how I agonized over that kit when I first saw it. It was used, and the priced was too good to pass on. My evil plan at that time was to swap out the brass hardware that I had on my wmp kit for the chrome. Beyond that however, I was basically left with a really nice kit that I would seldom ever play.

I remember that kit. I though it was gorgeous. How come you would hardly play this kit? What do you have that is better/more fun?

I love buying new stuff, I love everything about it, I love it I love It I ...love.... it.
I think I need a 12 step program!lol
mikey o
just bought a 42 dollar dog bone accessory for my d-dubs.

I remember that kit. I though it was gorgeous. How come you would hardly play this kit? What do you have that is better/more fun?

...I have three other DW kits.

I have my wmp 24, 16, 13, a wmp 18, 14, 12, and a black oyster 22, 16, 13. I like all of those kits more than the 20, 16, 12 tiger ash kit.

My 24, 16, 13 is my favorite, but the bop kit is gaining ground on it. I like the tiger ash kit, but it is the only one of the four that I did not piece together. It came in a take it or leave it configuration. If I would have put that kit together, I would have chosen a 15" floor tom rather than the 16. When I say that I regret buying this kit, I don't mean to imply that I hate it. I do like it, it's just that it is the kit that will collect the most dust. If I knew that I had a bop kit in my future, I likely would never have bought it in the first place.

Barry

I've been driving around on illegal tires for the last month because i spent all my money on a recent purchase. Thems the breaks.

My most stupid impulsive buy was my cowbell, it was €15 (with mounting hardware) and it's only on my drumset because I have it. I never play it, I don't even know how to do it.

I was always on Marktplaats (Dutch Ebay) looking for great deals, and then thinking of how great those deals are. And then not buying anything because I wouldn't really need the stuff.

I've stopped looking for deals now because I know I can't buy anything.

I have my wmp 24, 16, 13, a wmp 18, 14, 12

Ah, I see. Those are great sizes. If I could afford the luxury of two kits, those would be my sizes. More specifically 24x16, 16x14, 13x9 and 18x14, 14x12, 12x8. You're a lucky man. If you need someone to tap all that dust off the unwanted stepchild, give me a shout. I'll cover shipping.

Looking back on my purchase of the tama superstar, I sometimes think that I should have gone for a smaller kit (a 4-piece) of top-notch drums.
The remedy is to look at the superstar kit, play it and then conclude that it was money well spent.
Same goes for the octobans: they cost me quite a lot of money, even though they were only half of what the original ones cost. Later I found some magnum octobans for half of what I paid for mine though, but looking at the paint job on mine I know that it was after all a good idea.

When I say that I regret buying this kit, I don't mean to imply that I hate it. I do like it, it's just that it is the kit that will collect the most dust. If I knew that I had a bop kit in my future, I likely would never have bought it in the first place.

Barry
There's only one thing to do about this Barry. I've recently formed a foundation for the seldom used or forgotten DW drums. I'm currently accepting donations.

There's only one thing to do about this Barry. I've recently formed a foundation for the seldom used or forgotten DW drums. I'm currently accepting donations.

...one day somebody is going to come up to me and buy that kit.

When that day comes, he will walk away thinking " I never thought I would get a kit this nice this cheap", and I will be thinking "I can't believe I got this much for it".

Barry

View attachment 17970

K custom special dry ride

No! How so? My absolute favourite cymbal in my bag, so fun to play without getting deafened by roaring overtones. Sure, it's absolutely useless for anything passed jazz-funk....

Mine has to be the Neil Peart japanese oak signature sticks. Absurdly nasty.

2 Z Custom cymbals. A 16" Rock Crash and a 20" Power ride. That was almost 9 years ago!!

I have just gotten rid of them from my setup and I cannot say I am displeased from a drumming point of view! My new ride (K 20" Medium) is so much more than what I had, I get cold sweats when I cannot use it!

I always develop a strange kind of kinship with my gear though. And as much as I dislike the cymbals from a sound perspective nowadays, it feels like I am going to be putting a little bit of me on e-bay when they go. Does that make any sense? Probably not as I have polished off a good bottle of red tonight =D

No! How so? My absolute favourite cymbal in my bag, so fun to play without getting deafened by roaring overtones. Sure, it's absolutely useless for anything passed jazz-funk....

Mine has to be the Neil Peart japanese oak signature sticks. Absurdly nasty.

A little too clangy, JC, and could use a little more wash, and overtone. You're right, works great in the jazz funk thing, but absolutely nowhere else for me

My Yamaha Oak Custom shell pack. They were just too loud, bright, and had overtones that I had a hard time tuning out.

Well I have 4 kits now and I only use one of them (the rest are cased up)

Have built them over the years but you know what, i'd never sell any of them.

I hope to have a big enough house some time with a drum room/studio so I can have them all set up at once in different configs.

Back