Drummers who have influenced you

I'd have to say...

John Corniola, Robi Parolin, and Campbell Robinson --> my teachers over the years
Josh Freese
Steve Jordan
Steve Gadd
Stanton Moore
John Bonham
Dave Grohl
Max Weinberg
Carter Beauford
?uestlove
Rodney Holmes
Stephen Perkins
Benny Greb
Vinnie Colaiuta
Ben Hall
Lucius Borich
Stve Judd
Josh Eppard
Brad Wilk
and the list goes on...

Biz

i think every good drummer influences all of us in one way or another.

but with that being said:
gene krupa
buddy rich
ringo
jeff porcaro
danny seraphine
billy cobham
john bonham
tony thompson

and many many many others for sure!!!

Started out that the two main drummers who influenced me were

1) John Bonham
2) Neil Peart

This is because Led Zeppelin and Rush were the two bands that i would play alond with on the drums thanks to my drum books.

Now the main Influential drummer for me would probably be Steve Gadd.

Hmmmm, quite a list:

Tommy Lee
Tommy Aldridge
Neil Peart
Terry Bozzio
Ken Mary
Frankie Banali
Robert Sweet
John Bonham
Carter Beuford
Danny Carey
Tony Thompson
Dave Weckl
Vinnie Colaiuta

Hmmm...tough one but for starters -

Some Rock
Neal Peart
Stewart Copeland
Will Calhoun
Greg Bissonette
Keith Moon

Whole Lotta Funk
Mike Clark
David Garibaldi
Dennis Chambers
Omar Hakim

Little Latin/Jazz
Peter Erskine

Daily Instructional
Rick Latham
Chuck Silverman
Gary Chaffee
Steve Houghton
Rick Gratton
Jimmy Branly

All-Around
Steve Smith
Steve Gadd

Probably forgot someone...

And of course my absolute favorite number one most inspirational drummer is.....
Just check out my sig and do tha math :)

Great lists, everyone! Thanks. Nice to hear from you all! Play on!

Well I have many favorite drummers. I'll list here whoever comes to my mind:

John Blackwell
Steve Smith
Virgil Donati
Dave Wekl
Vinnie Colaiuta
Mike Portnoy
Bernard Purdie
Aquiles Priester
Nikko McBrain
Benny Grebb
Thomas Lang
Neil Peart
Max Weinberg
Andreas Johansson
Bobby Jarzombek
Stanton Moore
Jo Jo Mayer
Johnny Rabb
Tony Royster Jr.
Horacio Hernandez
Akira Jimbo

Damn My brain hurts!

Danny Carey - notonly for the monster drummer that he is, but also for showing methat i dont need to follow everybody else's approach. i can still do things my own way as long as im learning.

Mitch Mitchell - my all time favorite drummer, so versatile, so groovy, its so all about Mitch. those fills, accents and the way he emphasised different parts of the music. he was 20 when Hendrix played Woodstock....ridiculous!

Zigaboo Modeliste - Funk, funk and more funk, the pocket of this man is amazing. can sit back and lay it down fat and funky as hell, or rip it up. a true pioneer of what it means to have GROOVE

Chad Smith - hard funk master. grooving and slamming his way while constantly having a great time! his laid back approach is one i find soothing. its like he's telling you "yes, play out, take this seriously and kick it....but dont take YOURSELF too seriously!"

Oliver Charles - drummer for Ben Harper on "Fight For Your Mind" with some of the most delicious beats ive heard. has chops a plenty, but also shows how to apply it groovtasmically.

Luke Flowers - plays drums in the amazing Cinematic Orchestra,an unsung jazz maestro. the man's feel and emotional playing are unbelievable...just please go listen to Cinematic Orchestra, they are something else.

Benny Greb - from the first time i saw him, i wanted to be able to play that WELL, that gracefully. the New Orleans style piece he played shows oodles of everything you need as a drummer. he also seems like a really nice guy and probably a lot of fun to hang out with!

?uestlove Thompson - the first two full-length Roots releases are fantastic, and Questlove is a highlight throughout, i strive to attain that much control and consistent groove. not to mention he fires it up when they play live, and his playing with other artists such as D'Angelo and Erykah Badu is very different and just as good.

John Bonham - people go on about his right foot and his power, but what did for me was his finesse and thriftiness of his parts, his syncopation between bass and snare and his embellishing.

Elvin Jones - his sudden switch from hecticness to complete control and smooth playing along with hard swinging are the things that stand out most for me. quite breathtaking.

Patrick Keeler - finally Jack White chose to get his act together with an awesome drummer. when i watched him this summer i was so entranced by what he was doing, i forgot i was at a festival...in a massive tent...surrounded by people making noise....i just snapped out of it, and knew something about his playing was unique.

Dave Abruzzesse - the drum track for the Pearl Jam song "Animal" is one of my favorites...just power, groove and feel. where is he now??

Tiki Fulwood - his playing on early Funkadelic records (pre ' 75) is so phat, i would air drum along to that all the time.

Peace,
Saif

In no particular order (and I'm sure I'll miss someone out)

Vinnie Colaiuta
Billy Cobham
Dennis Chambers
Dave Weckl
Lenny White
Buddy Rich
Stewart Copeland
Chad Smith
David Garibaldi
Jack Dejohnette
Mike Portnoy (gone off him a bit recently)
Louis Bellson
Johnny Rabb
Thomas Lang
Marco Minnemann
Carter Beauford
Mitch Mitchell
Matt Camerson (used to love him with Soundgarden in my younger years)
Dave Grohl (used to want to be him, until I discovered FUNK & JAZZ FUSION!!!)

Whoa, almost forgot Steve Smith.

For me there are obviously a ton of famous drummers that have influenced me. But the real ones are the local hoem grown drummers you used to watch when growing up. Those ones are the ones that really influenced me.

i also have to add Ginger Baker to my list as well.

My list [no order, just who I think of]

Ginger Baker- He has such a smooth feel. Love his work with Cream.
Mitch Mitchell- One of my more recent inspirations. I find my style a bit like his.
Nick Mason- The most dynamic drummer I've heard. Can make anything sound swing-ish.
Neil Peart- The sole reason I started drums. His music is what I grew up on.
John Bonham- Listening to him makes me use my kick more. And such a great feel.
Gene Krupa- Made me get in to swing. Love his work with Benny Goodman.
Jo Jones- He could play the blues. Especially with Count Basie.
Steve Gadd- Made me get into funk music. One of my favorites.
Brad Wilk- The grooves he plays are tremendous. Absolutely fantastic drummer.

And I think Zach Hill has the most unique drumming as of today.

DrumMasterDave said:
For me there are obviously a ton of famous drummers that have influenced me. But the real ones are the local hoem grown drummers you used to watch when growing up. Those ones are the ones that really influenced me.

That works, DMD. I love that answer. Probably the 1st drummers you saw live, so that makes perfect sense. Play On!

timebandit said:
1) drummerKarl 2) neil peart 3) akira jimbo 4) marco minneman 5) virgil donati 6) mike portnoy 7) dave weckl 8) buddy 9) bozzio 10) lang 11) smith 12) copeland

I can really relate to this list, tb. Similar to mine. Neat...Play On!

Of course all the great drummers (Peart, Chambers, Donati, Lang, Buddy Rich, etc...) have had tremendous influence on me, but really, I would say I look for people at all levels.

My drum instructors have all been great at helping me, and have gotten me farther than I ever thought I would. Also, Daniel Adair has been a great influence because of not only his playing style, but also his mindset and his persistence of always improving. And then there are some great drummers who don't get enough attention, such as Chad Szeliga, Jeremy Hummel, Aaron Montgomery, Phil Robinson, and so on.

Really, I cannot narrow down the list to any small number, I think that every song, every drummer I listen to has an influence on me, no matter how simplistic the song may be.

You guys are probably sick of me talking about it, but Johnny Rabb is HUGE on my list of influence right now. I learned more in a few hours of watching and jamming with him than I have in years. The last week has been rediculous as far as the amount of inspiration and motivation I've had to take things up a notch.

He showed me a practice mechanism that he uses and already I've seen my creativity jump 100 miles in the sky just from using it each day.

Back