Here are Benny Grebb & Bernad Purdie lessons On Drumeo

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that.
Purdie is great to watch and listen to. I will surely read his book too.
I can't say his are true lessons in the traditional sense.

No but they are inspirational as hell... I have been a drumeo member for about 8 months.. the lesson by jim riley is great, he has a 5 part course there also.. his energy is addictive and makes you want to play..

Thanks for that.

Drumeo has great guest drummers conducting on line lessons-Here are 2 you I know you will enjoy.

Benny Grebb is a very interesting communicator; the lesson is broken down in to 4 parts, all relating to groove. The breathing advice is well taken by myself.

- www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3o84bMduE

Bernard Purdie is very entertaining, a groove master and one of a kind.

www.drumeo.com/blog/bernard-purdie-drum-lessons/

Yeah.. since i watched grebb talking about the breathing thing i have caught myself not breathing, but i am not sure if i am doing it because of him or just now noticing..

Purdie's groove is ridicules and I can't believe he played for a half hour straight at his age. Really inspirational stuff. The Grebb video was also good and very informative.

Purdie's groove is ridicules and I can't believe he played for a half hour straight at his age.

Ya I thought the same, only it was an hour right? Same beat, didn't budge tempo at all. Dude was locked in, and seemed to be having a ball.

Thank you very much for this !

I love listening to Benny Grebb and his ideas.......

I can't get Benny's lesson, sad face. Webpage not available.

I got Bernard's though. He's not really a great teacher. Hey Bernard, how do you do that?

Oh that's easy! Lol.

But there is a lot to glean from his words

Just watching him play is the real lesson from him.

I can't get Benny's lesson, sad face. Webpage not available.

Same here.

Do a search on YouTube for "Drumeo Benny Grebb". That's how I was able to watch it.

How come Jared didn't ask Bernard about playing on the Beatles records? When Jared asked him what his favorite album he played on, he said he was going to play it safe and say Aretha Franklin. I wonder if he makes those claims in his book?

Thanks for that.

True; his message seems be all about relaxing and staying in the pocket.
No running shoes! Not sure that would have been my one piece of advice.
LOL
You have to love the guy.

Yeah.. since i watched grebb talking about the breathing thing i have caught myself not breathing, but i am not sure if i am doing it because of him or just now noticing..

Ha Ha; The same, thing happened to me, I was concentrating so much on the breathing I ended up getting tenser. Practice makes perfect and when I was able to get it to happen in the flow I certainly noticed the difference.

How come Jared didn't ask Bernard about playing on the Beatles records? When Jared asked him what his favorite album he played on, he said he was going to play it safe and say Aretha Franklin. I wonder if he makes those claims in his book?

In Modern Drummer he simply states that he addresses that issue in the book.

I watched the Benny Greb lesson live. It was awesome. I just love his overall playing style, its kind of what I'm trying to go for. My favorite part of the lesson was definitely Grebfruit :)

So a guy walks into a bar...

.. and it's none other than Bernard Purdie! I introduced myself and had a brief chat with him - he's such a nice guy! ..and later on the bandleader (an old friend of BPs) asks him to play a few tunes. So he gets up and totally killed it.. the place went nuts.

That was a night to remember!

Back