Even Jo Jo Drops A Stick Now & Then-Nerve Live

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
https://youtu.be/prOtgYuLC0E

I like the new set up which is simply moving the soft tom over beside the floor; It's a simple thing but you certainly will approach fills differently.
This seems to be trend as I have seen & heard similar with other drummers.
Not quite the linear set up of Bill Bruford but interesting all the same.

Good stuff!

JoJo has actually always had that small tom besides his floor tom and has another small tom in the traditional spot over the kick. In this concert it appears he omitted the high tom to have a third set of hi-hats in it's place.

I always figure that the stick didn't feel like playing that night so back into the bag with it and grab another.

Sticks are/were once living things and I believe they all have their quirks, as does anything organic. They have their moments as do we all. If a stick ain't feeling it then it can take a night off.

Good stuff!

JoJo has actually always had that small tom besides his floor tom and has another small tom in the traditional spot over the kick. In this concert it appears he omitted the high tom to have a third set of hi-hats in it's place.
Only in recent years did he have a small tom in that position.

Good stuff!

Cheers;

In the latest Modern Drummer it shows his kit without the traditional tom position so I am assuming it was new. In his DVD Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer he plays a traditional set up. I guess he changes it around from time to time;in the DVD the soft tom is prominent on his solo's; he does some nice conga style hand slides on it.

I always figure that the stick didn't feel like playing that night so back into the bag with it and grab another.

Sticks are/were once living things and I believe they all have their quirks, as does anything organic. They have their moments as do we all. If a stick ain't feeling it then it can take a night off.

I can relate. I was not being critical in anyway, it was just a way for me to introduce the video.

So, I'm supposed to watch a 37 minute video looking for Jojo to drop a stick somewhere in there?

It is on the first track but that was not the point, as mentioned in another reply; it was just a way for me to introduce the video; it doesn't matter about the stick thing it is just a good concert. I should have thought the topic title through as my interest was also in non traditional set ups to alter the approach of playing.
My apologies.

Last edited:
Back