Sunday gig setup

Very nice. You can certainly see the Bozzio influence.

there is a reason for that....the mini Bozzio appearance I mean....;-)

But seriously, with all the combos I can have with this kit I can't see myself ever needing another kit again. I've played out and recorded with a 5 piece configuration...practiced on a 4 piece configuration...and for this special event played out with the full 12 piece + some extras. it's nice to have options.

Pics before an outdoor gig sunday......

Beautiful drums, but I have to agree that's waaaaaayyyy too much stuff to set up. I do a standing Thursday night jazz trio gig and I am always debating over whether to set up an extra ride cymbal. I'll take a 4-piece with two cymbals and a pair of hats any day of the week.

Nonetheless really nice drums.

Pics before an outdoor gig sunday......

5291_1197451688995_1009568919

5291_1197451568992_1009568919_1697181_2115047_n.jpg

5291_1197451648994_1009568919_1697183_5927183_n.jpg

So what type of music do you play that requires that set up?

OK well it's not about what kind of music "requires" the set up...it's do you want that stuff available actually. Most of the time when I play out I use an old 4 piece setup. This set I have used smaller configurations for various things like recording or even playing out ( in nicer venues). In this case this was a private party for my wife which was held at her parents home...so...it was not required...but the gear was already there ( we are just bought a new house and are moving) so...the answer...? Why not?

Believe me I am not a person who believes more is better...or less is better...it's all about what YOU want...that is the only thing that is important. Too many people on either side of this discussion tend to get snarky or bash about it ...which I think is really counter productive to be honest. I would never look down on someone with a samll kit...or a large kit...unless they can't play it...or don't actually attempt to use it.

In this case it was a matter of did I want to set it up? would I use it? Yes to both...and it was FUN....that is all that really matters.

Just wondering what the blue section is under the drum rug. It looks like a thin carpet. If it is, where did you find one that large?

Just wondering what the blue section is under the drum rug. It looks like a large thin carpet.

Yep...it is a large blue carpet from Home Depot....the rug under the set is from another place...and I marked it which makes setting up pretty simple. The blue one is a rug my father in law picked up for the gig for pretty cheap.

So what type of music do you play that requires that set up?

Most likely: whatever type pleases him.

It is FUN to play behind a huge kit (not so fun to move around) and I would get one if I could. There is so much seriousness and brow-furrowing surrounding drumming that it is refreshing to me to see sets that have an abundance of drums and cymbals and look fun to play (at least by what I consider to be fun).

My only "complaint" is that with all the high cymbals, the audience cannot see the drummer well and the drummer is the most visually exciting person to see. For best stage presence, I believe anything that comes between your face and the audience should be avoided. Show yourself off more!

I do not believe less is more. Less is simply ... less.

In this case it was a matter of did I want to set it up? would I use it? Yes to both...and it was FUN....that is all that really matters.

I wasn't having a dig.....
The pic of your kit made me think......Rush....NP.
So I asked.

I wasn't having a dig.....
The pic of your kit made me think......Rush....NP.
So I asked.

OK cool.....there was some NP and Rush on this gig actually....and some calssic stuff which allowed the use of a bigger kit. At times I was playing different "zones" for some groove change ups ( high range side vs lower range side) to give tunes a different flavor. The Pork pie snare for instance is tuned up a good bit from the main snare....using the left bass instead of the right...etc. Sorry if I misread your comments.

Back