NEED HELP : Odery VS Mapex VS Drumsound

daniboun

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new 14 snare. I'm hesitating between 3 models.
I'm living in France (Lyon).
Need your help to make the best choice. I play Pop Rock Folk music, this is a cover band.

1- Odery Custom 100% Auraucaria 14x6 snare (handmade in Brasil)
2- Drumsound EVO 2.0 Mahogany Khaya / German Beech 14x6 (handmade in Italy)
3- Mapex Retrosonic 100% Walnut 14x5.5 (made in Taiwan)

Which one do you recommand ?

Hi there

I don't know too much about these snares but I have played on an Odery kit, being Brazilian myself. They are by far the most popular drum manufacturers in Brazil although I am living in England now.

From what I have experienced with Odery drum kits and their snares is that they give off quite a lively sound, best suited for latin, funk and jazzy styles and are best tuned high. The snares I played were a shallower depth than that Odery snare you are looking at, so I'm not sure how a deeper snare like this would sound. Maybe listen to some sound files or videos if you have not already. It may work for rock considering its a 7 inch in depth, so I'm not sure about that. Depends on the music you want to play.

As for Mapex, you can't really go wrong buying a snare from Mapex. Best snare makers in the world in my opinion, having played Gretsch, Odery, Mapex, PDP and Sonor snare drums. If the mapex black panther is as cheap as it is I dont see why that snare wouldn't sound awesome and be very versatile.

I can't tell you anything about drumsound unfortunately. You should consider reposting this thread in the drums section under 'drum gear'.

Here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

It is probably the most viewed area of the forum so you will get a lot more responses, I stumbled across this because I like to see people's drum kits. If you are looking for advice, that is the best place to post a thread, I did it myself. Good luck with your snare buying!

Thanks !

I was born in Brasil too (Sao Paulo). I've been living in France as you know.
I finally went for the Drumsound "Mother of Nature Rebel" serie in German Beech, I'll post a new add asap ! KILLER SNARE:)orino
This a "on request" custom snare, hande made in Torino.

beech_german_146-1280x720.jpg

Thanks !

I was born in Brasil too (Sao Paulo). I've been living in France as you know.
I finally went for the Drumsound "Mother of Nature Rebel" serie in German Beech, I'll post a new add asap ! KILLER SNARE:)orino
This a "on request" custom snare, hande made in Torino.

beech_german_146-1280x720.jpg

Congratulations man. Cool that we are both from Sao Paulo! Kick ass with that snare drum

Back