Too much separation on tom sizes?

Obviously, a 10,16 combo is not a popular combo, but why not make it work? Dare to be different. One thing for sure, you're kit will stand out in the crowd.

If I could only have one rack I'd go w/ a 10 everyday of the week. And the floor would have to be a 16. 2 totally different timbres.

Well it's not funk... But at one point Franky Costanza from Dagoba (a French metal band) used 8"/10"/16" toms on his kit. Saw him live use it, and during a drum festival here when I was asked to backline I even got to play on it - the sizes did not sound weird at all to my ears.

If you think it sounds appropriate for the musical context I say go for it : )

go for it, i have also used a 10 with a 16 with great result and feeling. Really liked the big separation between the toms.

now i use a 13 shortstack with a 18,just love it.

danny carey actually use 8 and 10, but square size, with 16 and 18 floor

danny carey actually use 8 and 10, but square size, with 16 and 18 floor

I'm pretty sure that would actually be 8"/10"/14"/16" he uses on his kit.

I have the same size intervals and I think it's very nice since you have both nice highs and growling lows to play with.

I'm pretty sure that would actually be 8"/10"/14"/16" he uses on his kit.

I have the same size intervals and I think it's very nice since you have both nice highs and growling lows to play with.

actually he have used both; 14/16 on his ocheltree-kit & 16/18 with his sonor.

actually he have used both; 14/16 on his ocheltree-kit & 16/18 with his sonor.

I didn't know he did : )

I've never seen him with 16" and 18" floor toms. All the pictures I've seen were clearly 14" and 16". That's also what I found on the Net every time I read about his kit or what he mentioned in the interviews I have. That's why I was quite sure he used those all the time.

I'm contemplating on my next kit having a 10" and 13" rack toms with a 16" floor tom. I just need something to fill in the gap between the two extremes.

Dennis

I'm contemplating on my next kit having a 10" and 13" rack toms with a 16" floor tom. I just need something to fill in the gap between the two extremes.

Dennis

10"/13"/16" sounds nice on David Garibaldi's kit, or Björn Fryklund's.

i'm definitely going 10,13,16 on my next kit. might add in a 7 or 8 too for fun. not sure if i want to carry round an 18" floor tom though, lol.

as impractical as this sounds, I would love a ten eighteen combo. and of course I'd have a 28 bass. but can't forget an 18 bass on a satellite pedal.

essentially just the most contrasting drum set on the face of the earth.

Yeah 10 and 18 is lots of separation.. i like. I hate toms that have close to the same sizes like a 12 and a 13 for example. It just doesn't work for me.

I have 8, 10,12 and 14 toms and I recently went to a four-piece. After some experimentation with all the possible 2-tom combinations, and after collecting some opinions here, I went with 10 and 14. I like the spread and if you only have two toms, they should be farther apart. I think a 10 and 16 could sound terrific.

Back