Heel toe question

drummingman

Gold Member
Are there any drummers out there that use double bass heel toe doing it as heel heel toe toe that get great power and consistency with it without having to use triggers? I ask this for slow speeds as well as fast.

That's such a fantastic looking technique (heel heel toe toe).

Last edited:
Just a tip. Search function works very well in the forum.. lots on this.
here's a vid i made when i first learnt how to do it

no triggers, plenty of power.. forgive the crappy cell camera sound though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJw0Htap9M

also.. that Danmar click pad makes it sound almost triggered and the skin was very tight. since this i use a loser batter head with no click pad to make it sound deeper and have more of a boom to it.

check my Youtube channel if you want to see how i do the technique

Are you sure that's heel-heel toe-toe? Looks like heel-toe heel-toe to me.

That heel heel toe toe thing could be a misunderstanding. Heel heel toe toe is what some drummers are using when they interlace both feet. That's having each foot play heel toe but with the other foot playing in-between. There's already lots of threads/info on that on this forum as beyondbetrayal said.

Straight/not interlaced (assuming you're using a double pedal):
heel (R) - toe (R) - heel (L) - toe (L) - repeat

Interlaced:
heel (R) - heel (L) - toe (R) - toe (L) - repeat

I've been using both ways. They do feel quite different though and each one takes some time to learn and get even rhythmically and volume-wise. I feel that it's extremely hard to get this evenness but overall, it's a fantastic/ergonomic way to hit high speed with the least amount of effort. As said, you can do this both as heel toe and as constant release.

Arky knows whats up

and it turns out I was the one misunderstanding. Just read the first post. DUHHHHHHHHHHH

H(r) T(r) H(l) T(l) is much easier for me

I tried RLRL once heel heel toe toe and was right away thinking no but i imagine after getting it it would be much more consistent and less reliant on pedal/rebound.

I find i get a 30-40bpm range for heel toe...

I can have it for 190-230bpm and it works great and VERY powerful. i pull my beaters back for power and to slow the tempo

if you move them forward the second hit comes faster so you end up good from 200-245 lets say...

I usually have it so i will do singles till about 200/210 and that is the tempo where i change to heel toe from 210-250 although i seldom do 250. more of a parlor trick or practice for endurance.

also. heel toe at 250 if your not triggering its not going to sound consistent or have the power. 200 you could get away with.

youtube is the place to look. seen some young kid doing HHTT and he was an absolute monster.

Back