Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: INTRODUCTIONS - Please use this thread to introduce yourself

Hello. New to the forums.

Name-Robert
Started playing when I was 21, now I'm 24.
Kit- frankinstien of sorts. Started with an off brand crap set and I've bought and collected different drums and cymbals over time.
Style of choice- metal, heavy metal, metal core also love to dabble in blast beats
I love to talk/watch/play/and buy drums.
Fav drummers-Derek roddy, Neil peart, meytal Cohen, buddy rich

Re: INTRODUCTIONS

Hi Guys,
I've been using the site or a while but never joined the discussions so I decided it was time to join up and introduce myself!!

Real name? Mike McQuillan
age? 22
how long been playing? about 8 years
origin of user name? Nickname
top 5 drummers? Jojo Mayer, John Bonham, Nicko McBrain, Animal, Jungle Drummer (Jungle Drummer could be a bit controversial but then again he is probably the best known drummer in the UK Drum n Bass Scene.
make of drum kit? Premier Olympic
make of cymbal? Mostly Sabian
where do you practice? Home, University, Local Pub
are you in a band/s? Yes, UK heavy rock band Sons of Icarus, and also started up a Jungle Drummer style DnB project for University
covers or originals? Originals, but also do pub gigs which is mostly covers
what style of music? Heavy Rock with Sons of Icarus, Drum n Bass for University project but I listen to anything from Jazz to Dance
favorite take out food? Chrispy shredded beef in chilli sauce.
country? UK
one really odd fact about yourself? only 2 of my toes work properly, and I'm not really sure why!
how did you start drumming? Started playing bass but had no idea about theory or the technicalities of what I was playing so started from scratch on drums with formal tuition. I did this so that I could actually understand what I was playing and I would ultimatly have a greater appreciation of the music. Plus drums is more fun.

Last edited:

Real name? Sarah Chatt

Age? 24

How long been playing? 5-6 years on and off

Origin of user name? Isn't it obvious?

Top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Cindy Blackman, Dave Groel...I don't know John Bonham is the main dude. I need to listen to more drummers I think!! :D

Make of drumkit? Roland TD-6V with a Pearl Eliminator.

Where do you practice? In the spare room :D

Are you in a band/s? No but I'm hoping to get into one this year (New Year Resolution)

Covers or originals? Hopefully both!

What style of music? Ideally classic rock.

Favourite take out food? Chinese

Country? UK

One really odd fact about yourself? Ehh one? Apparently I'm very cat like. I smell everything but I eat it, I'm always touching things and I'm always curious. Plus I can make convincing cat sounds which freak my cats out...Actually my last name means cat like person. Pretty weird.

How did you start drumming? Once upon a time I was listening to pop music, but I was really bored with it. I started going through my Dads cd collection and the first I picked was Led Zeppelin Physical Graffitti (I liked the name!). This was the first time I'd ever thought about the drummer in a band! Never gave any thought to drummers before this. Anyway, my birthday was a couple of days after (same day as Bonzos!!) and I bought the Led Zep DVD and was blown away. I try and think about that moment when drumming is getting annoying for me (like when I'm trying to fathom single stroke rolls....easy?! Yeah right haha).

how long been playing: 10 years

origin of user name: We have a flag football team named Inferno, one of the guys from the other team that was setting up scrimmages decided to put me in his cell phone as this name, kinda liked it so I stuck with it.

top 5 drummers:
Chad Szeliga
Neil Peart
Derek Roddy
Carter Beauford
Thomas Lang

make of drumkit: Using a Pearl kit right now, going to be moving out of state soon and picking up a better set up - debating on a PDP maple?

make of cymbal: Sabian

where do you practice: Use to practice in a rental space in San Diego, moving to Rhode Island, got a place we will be using there.

are you in a band/s: Stealing Gadsby (http://www.stealinggadsby.com)

covers or originals: Originals

what style of music: Hard Rock / Alt Metal

favourite take out food: Papa John's Pizza, cannot get enough of that stuff!

one really odd fact about yourself: I have a weird mix of interests. I am an IT consultant who loves to watch and play football and use to play in death metal bands bwhaha.

how did you start drumming: All of my friends in High School were picking up instruments. Since I was very young I was intrigued by the drums, it just made the most sense.

My name is Dave, about to turn 23 in June
Been drumming for close to17 years now.

Started out marching (snare) for 8 years, then moved on to the drumkit.
My "forte" is metal and funk, (I know, very different from eachother)
and just about everything in between.

I play on a 7 piece Tama Silverstar (1 snare, 1 bass, 5 toms)
and I use Sabian XS20 cymbals
For sticks, I go with Vic Firth Rock

Even though I have some 3000+ posts on here, I've never actually posted an introduction.

Better late than never!

My name is Ian

On the business side, I have worked at
Drum World in San Francisco, CA
Guitar Center in San Francisco, CA
B Street Music in San Mateo, CA
West LA Music in Los Angels
I have a degree in Business Administration with option in Finance, and additional education in accounting.

On the playing side,
I went to P.I.T. 1991-1992.
I’ve done my fair share of pick up gigs, but mostly focused on original bands.
In the late 90’s I played in front of at least one person from just about every record label that existed at the time, but none of the bands I was with quite got over that hump.
A few years ago I put out in independent CD, that sold copies from Japan to the Netherlands, to Brazil.
More recently, I have switched my focus to song writing, and recording in my home studio.

I am a drum gear geek, and my head is full of random drummer facts and trivia.

My website: http://www.drumeatdrum.com/

My day-job profile can be found here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ianwmayer

Even though I have some 3000+ posts on here, I've never actually posted an introduction.

Better late than never!

My name is Ian
Hey Ian, never made an introduction huh! Hmmm, come to think of it-----------

Cool to know a bit about your background. That "hump", man, that's a bitch, & so far outside of your control, it's untrue! Kudos to you for penning your own material. Super satisfyng.

Welcome to the forum, lol!!!!

Real name? Jon

Age? 23

How long been playing? 7 years maybe? Lost track

Origin of user name? It's been my DJ name since I started scratch DJing at age 13... check out my website if you'd to see some scratch videos

Top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Danny Carey, Tim Alexander, Tony Royster and Blake Richardson

Make of drumkit? Currently have a 5-piece acoustic kit (it's been refurbished and painted so I don't know what make) pieced together with my old Roland TD-3 pads to make a hybrid kit

Where do you practice? My living room has become a full out music studio

Are you in a band/s? I jam with several different groups of people and always have several projects going at a time, but no I'm not really in a band

Covers or originals? Both, I only enjoy covering songs that are at least somewhat tricky

What style of music? Everything from funk to metal

Favourite take out food? Thai or Mexican

Country? US

One really odd fact about yourself? I have an extremely odd sense of humor.

How did you start drumming? After playing violin and piano for a short while when I was young, my parents switched me to drums which I enjoyed playing and seemed to have somewhat of a knack for. I hated going to lessons though because I didn't like making any kind of weekly commitment so I ended up losing the drum set. Many years later in high school, I wound up getting a great deal on an electric kit and held on to that until it started to die out on me. Just recently bought a new acoustic kit and here I am.

I've learned a lot and been able to help many people out on djforums.com, I'm hoping to have a similar experience here. Looking forward to whatever I can learn and however I can help. :)

Hi guys, I introduce myself....

How long been playing: 15 years
Origin of user name: from the film Million Dollar Hotel
Top 5 drummers: Manu Katché, Larry Mullen Jr., Dominic Howard, Matt Cameron,
Make of drumkit: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 1998
Make of cymbal: all Paiste Signature
Where do you practice: with my friends in studio
Are you in a band/s: Yes (www.noline.it)
Covers or originals: U2 Tribute
What style of music: Pop Rock
Favourite take out food: Spaghetti alla carbonara
One really odd fact about yourself: I’m crazy about women…
How did you start drumming: when I was young I played the guitar and the drummer in my first band was always late, so until he arrived I started to play drums...

My Name is Denis Leduc

denisplaysgretchdrums.jpg

Born in Montreal Denis grew up in a musical environment including listening to his mother playing well known blues songs on the family piano. It was at this time at the age of 10 that his musical career began by playing on a home-made drum set which he made himself from metal cans and drum sticks sculpted from tree branches. At an early age he was surrounded by the sounds of his parents listening to Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, John Bonham and Neil Peart.
After mastering playing the drums he went on to play the piano, the guitar and a host of other musical instruments. In his 30 year musical career he has played many styles of music. He has been greatly influenced by the Rock and Blues styles from the 70’s and 80’s. His studio experience - his experience playing popular festivals and numerous tours of Quebec and Western Canada have made him a seasoned musician whose performances on stage are always filled with high energy and good vibrations.

WWW.ROCKROULETTE.COM

Last edited:

189618_10150106232963371_601798370_6647566_3736396_n.jpg

Above: Deep Blue Sky, from right to left: Alex Troke (Me, guitar player), Tim Hamlyn (Singer), Brandon Burge (Drummer), Jordan Legge (Bass Player)

How long been playing: 3 years, kinda fiddled around here and there before that
Origin of user name: Obviously, my name, and 2099 is just a number I use for everything, for some reason. I can't remember where it came from exactly, but I think it may have some relation to the Marvel universe based in 2099. There's some comics on it. :p
Top 5 drummers: John Bonham, Neil Peart, Tomas Haake, Dave Grohl, Danny Carey
Make of drumkit: Don't really have one right now, but should soon have a Gretsch Catalina Maple.
Make of cymbal: Again, don't have any, but the next ones will probably be either Sabian Xs20, or HHX, all depends on the cash.
Where do you practice: 3 places mainly; in a friends shed, at my school, and in a building that also has a restaurant in the same building, next door. That way, I can eat and play music. :D
Are you in a band/s: Yes. Deep Blue Sky as of now. We're a hard rock/heavy metal band. We play stuff like Marilyn Manson, Rage Against the Machine, Murderdolls, and a lot of original stuff. We are all multi-instrumentalists. My main instrument is guitar, but also play bass, keyboards, and drums. Our singer's main instrument is drums, but he also sings, plays guitar and bass. Our drummer also play bass, but he is mainly a drummer. Our bass player's main instrument is guitar. I've been in many beforehand too, and I'm also looking into being in another band or 2, to satisfy my need to play a plethora of musical genres. :)
Covers or originals: Both, tbh. I like covers, because the crowd can get into it more, because they know the song, and they're extremely fun to play. But covers show the audience that your capable of even more than just ripping off another band.
What style of music: A lot of different genres. :p Blues, Funk, Jazz, Grunge, Alt Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Soft Rock, just, a lot of stuff.
Favourite take out food: CHINESE FOOD X9999999999999999999
One really odd fact about yourself: If there was one person in the world I would kill, it is Justin Bieber.......I am not a Belieber....
How did you start drumming: Really, I just eased into it. I played in a band on guitar, and every once and a while, we'd all take a brake and eat. I was usually the first one finished, so I'd ask the drummer if I could play his kit. I still do this today. :p

How long been playing: 6 months
Origin of user name: My favourite candy . Sour Skittles , the green packet .
Top 2 drummers: Bernard "Buddy" Rich , Dylan Elise
Drumset: Doesn't exist ... Yet .
Where do you practice: In a small studio taught by Mr. Jenson Koh .
Are you in a band/s: Not yet .
Covers or originals: None yet .
What style of music: Pop Rock
Favourite take out food: Anything . I don't call for food , the food calls for me .
One really odd fact about yourself: I go crazy over Filipinos .
How did you start drumming: Obsession with rhythm and beats .

Hi : Phil Kelly here -former big band and studio drummer here ( until arthritis stopped the playing part of my career ) Since them , I've been a professional composer /arranger and jazz recording producer. Below is a condensed resume:

In addition to more than 40 years as a composer / arranger for film, TV, and other media applications, I've written for bands like Bill Watrous' NY Wildlife Refuge, the Old Tonight show band , Doc Severinsen, Si Zentner, as well as functioning as arranger/ conductor / drummer for vocalists Buddy Greco, Julius LaRosa, Frank D'Rone, Sylvia Syms, John Gary, Jenny Smith, and Al 'TNT' Braggs among others..

Early on in my career, I also logged several years as a jazz drummer with artists such as Terry Gibbs ,Red Garland, and Denny Zeitlin as well as years of work as a studio and recording drummer. In addition to his film and TV writing, I've written music for over 500 national commercials , ESPN, ABC Sports , NFL Films, and industrial films and shows for Cadillac, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, American Airlines and Zales Jewelers.

I also was the primary arranger for the Fort Worth (TX) Symphony Pops series for more than 25 years,and has been commissioned to provide custom pop symphonic scores for Doc Severinsen and Peter Nero. He has had arrangements played by the Houston , Dallas, Detroit, Cincinnati, and North Carolina Symphony orchestras.

Now semi-retired and residing in Bellingham WA, I still writes jazz and pop orchestra arrangements for publication and on commision, and is beginning an auxiliary career in the educational field as a clinician in film scoring and music for the media at various colleges around the USA , as well as a big band coach at the Bud Shank Centrum Jazz camp in Port Townsend WA. in 2002 -2003

My first big band jazz album under his own name, "Convergence Zone" was recorded in 2003 for release on Origin Records. Since then, I've recorded two more Origin CDs:
"My Museum " ( 2005 ) with an LA band and "Ballet of the Bouncing Beagles" in 2008.

Phil Kelly

SELECTED RECORDINGS: ( as arranger and/or composer)
Tis the Season Forth Worth Symp. Orch Radio Shack
Night Dreams Doc Severinsen Mercury (?)
Tiger of San Pedro Bill Watrous Columbia
Manhattan Wildlife Refuge “ “
Bigfoot Lou Fischer Big Band Seabreeze
Constantly John Gary Pye
Prairie Portrait Don Edwards/ FWSO Shanachie
Germaine Bazzle NO Jazz heritage fest. Rounder
Terry Gibbs Sounds of 52nd St Mack Ave
Phil Kelly / NWPW Convergence Zone Origin *
Phil Kelly /SWSAW My Museum Origin **
Phil Kelly / NWPW Ballet of the Bouncing Beagles Origin
* 2004 Grammy nominee -Best Arrangemet
** selected as one of “ Top 50 new jazz releases of 2007
by JazzTimes magazine
Primo Kim "Make it right " ( 2008 )
Stix ( Crusaders ) Hooper " Many Hats ( 2010 )

more info at my website:

http://philkellymusic.com

Last edited:

How long been playing: 14+ years
Origin of user name: I used to be partially fluent in Japanese, used the name, it's stuck ever since
Top 2 drummers: Derek Roddy, Morgan (Henker's drummer)
Drumset: Explained in a thread, for your convenience
Where do you practice: At friends' houses
Are you in a band/s: None right now, but looking at a speed mathcore industrial metal band soon
Covers or originals: Originals
What style of music: Metal
Favourite take out food: Whatever the craving calls for
One really odd fact about yourself: There's a few..
How did you start drumming: Jealousy over people who could play music, and admiration for drumlines (which is where I started this journey)

New member, old drummer.

I've been playing drums since the late '50s. Got my first kit, a brand new WFL Buddy Rich Super Classic as a "You escaped from junior high" gift from worried parents. Kept it until last year.

I play rock, blues, jazz and have gigged with people no one ever heard of and also with names way too well known for their own good. Always the substitute when someone got sick, disappeared, or O.D.ed because my major job has been as a TV writer and producer.

My first paying writing job, in fact, came out my love for music: I wrote a film at MGM for one of the too-famous guys. He left the country, then died, before it could be shot, but I already was a pro drummer, and the script made me a pro writer too.

Although I'm not writing much these days, I'm still playing. I've been lurking in this forum for about a year. Great place. I look forward to knowing everyone better.

Be warned: I'll probably post pics of a couple of my kits.

Thanks for being here,

Hipshot

How long been playing: About 8-9 years

Origin of user name: It's my name.

Top 2 drummers: Too many to pick from.

Drumset: A rockwood shell set (First one still), Evans heads & rings, Sabian B8 cymbal set, a wuhan china, zildjan splash, Remo pinstripe bass head with a muff'l ring, PDP double kick, Stock hi-hat stand, Some extra boom stands and floor mount toms.

Where do you practice: In Pop's garage

Are you in a band/s: None right now

What style of music: Metal, Progressive, Indie, Folk

Favourite take out food: I don't eat.

One really odd fact about yourself: I am into Cavaliers haha.

How did you start drumming: Started playing violin in 4th grade, And got my first guitar in 6th. My brother got his first bass that same year and we always traded back and forth learning both of them. He went on to do orchestra bass and then we got an electric organ. Later got the drum set and I picked up on that fairly easily. My brother ended up with all the stringed instruments and now has quite a collection. I'm still kicking it on the drums. Looking into a new kit though. Time to upgrade from my starter kit..

Pics

Old pic, A few new cymbals since this pic.
DSCF2765.jpg

Drums.jpg

A small part of my brother's rig and a couple of his axes :). He has more now.
Setup.jpg

Our best friend and fellow jam buddy playing one of my brother's other guitars. He has a matching bass in black too.
DSCF4096.jpg

Looks like a cool site. Hope to gain some good information

How long been playing: 17 years
Origin of user name: Drums by Me
Top 2 drummers: Bill Bruford, Stanton Moore
Drumset: Custom keller maple drums, 16"x20" kick, 8"x10" tom, 13"x15" floor tom, 5"x13" Pearl Omar Hakim sig snare. Sabian cymbals- 14" AAX Stage Hats, 16" HHX Ozone, 18" AA El Sabor, 21" HHX Groove Ride, 18" Signature Garibaldi Jam Master Crash/Ride.
Where do you practice: Home, rehearsal studios, the space where I teach privately
Are you in a band/s: Yes
What style of music: Fusion/Progressive
Favourite take out food: Pizza
One really odd fact about yourself: I'll have to check with my wife - she notices my quirks more than I do...
How did you start drumming: Parents complained I had too much energy - a friend suggested I learn percussion.

I've been lurking around here for a little bit, finally signed up. I spent a lot of time at the old drumset.com BBS way back around '97-'02, if there's anyone here from that place....

How long been playing: 24 years
Origin of user name: nickname since I was 13
Top drummers: Neil Peart, Charlie Benante, Wil Calhoun, Gavin Harrison
Drumset: '62 Ludwigs I spent a summer restoring about 10 years ago. 22, 13, 16, 14. Those have just been retired to "practice only" status, and have a Tama '85 or '86 Swingstar that I use for playing out (same drum sizes). My main snare is a '74 Supra. Cymbals are mostly Sabian, with a few Zildjians and Wuhans.
Where do you practice: Guitarist's house (aka our rehearsal space)
Are you in a band/s: Yes - Tide of Empire http://www.tideofempire.com
What style of music: indie alt pop dad rock
Favourite take out food: Chinese
One really odd fact about yourself:Don't know if it's "odd", but I have the same exact warmup routine I play before every show, and have done so since I was 15 or so
How did you start drumming: Dad took me to see Van Halen on the 5150 tour, but waited too long to get tickets so we ended up behind the stage. Bad seats for the most part, but I had an excellent view of Alex Van Halen. I was 11 years old and watched him the entire show. The rest is history.

22837910150585671805089.jpg

How long been playing: 6 years
Origin of user name: FarFromTheTruth
Top 2 drummers: Travis Smith Derek Roddy
Drumset: Ddrum Diablo Death Punxs, Zildjian cymbals, pearl hardware and Axis pedals
Where do you practice: At home in my music room
Are you in a band/s: No
What style of music: Anything
How did you start drumming: I used to sit in on my dads band practices and thats where i really became interested in drumming

How long been playing: 8 years
Origin of user name: My nick name with my band - when we started I was the only non-spanish speaking person in the group so I was the outcast, or "Frastero"
Top 3 drummers: Rick Shadrach Lazar, Mark Kelso, Giovanni Hidalgo
Drumset: I'm a latin percussionist so...Mountain Rhythm Congas (9" quinto, 10" conga, 12" tumba)
Where do you practice: Home, rehearsal studios, one of my band's rehearsal space
Are you in a band/s: Yes - www.babalaostereoclub.com, www.sambasquad.com, and recently quit www.chasingeve.com
Covers or originals: mostly originals...but some covers make it into the repertoire.
What style of music: BSC - Latin Funk, SSQ - mostly Brazilian Samba, but also Afro-Cuban, and African
Favourite take out food: Pizza
How did you start drumming: 8 years ago I took a class at university and things just took off from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back