Best Female Drummer?

Wait? No one mentioned Sheila E.?

I really enjoy Terri Lyne Carrington. I've always found her playing a great blend of music and technique.

I thinks it's between Blackman and Carrington. I originally said Cindy but after studying the video's I have to concede that Terri brings more emotion and uniqueness. Both great and I agree this is not a male female discussion but one of absolute talent.

Sheila Escovedo. She has so much style and creativity.

Beyonce's drummers: Nikki Glaspie and Kim Thompson, are both amazing. Check out her live shows and you'll see what I mean.

In my opinion, the best female drummer is Caroline Corr. She is better recognized as the drummer of the band, but she also does backing vocals and plays the piano on stage for some songs.

That's just chops (although Vinnie is highly musical too). There's a lot more to being a great drummer than that IMO.

"just chops"? Vinnie and Dennis can lay down a groove with full dynamics, play simple beats with conviction and are ridiculously musical to boot. There's no "just chops" comment to be said at all with those two.

I'm guessing that drummers like Moe and Meg hint at how it's done even though playing with that level of simplicity all the time isn't very interesting for me. I find it inspiring that they piss off a lot of male drummers and are regularly dismissed as not mattering, yet they were/are highly effective in their bands.

I don't know what you've been reading, but the only reason some guys might get "pissed off" is that drummers like Meg get ballooned respect for playing that seems barely adequate and only seem to do "their thing" in "their band". That's not a reason to knock them, but they're certainly not "the next best thing". And if they're only able to display their chops in such a limited fashion, they're not really very musical at all. They're just adapting to their situation and might sound completely awful outside it.

[Take that with a grain of salt, as what very little of the White Stripes I've heard is not in the least pleasing to my ear. But some folks play simple gigs and are monster players, they just don't ever show it off.]

That suggests to me that there is something distinctly feminine in their approach.

I'm very curious to hear how one hits stuff with sticks in a feminine manner.

Ya'el (How has no one mentioned her yet???)
Cora Coleman
Shelia E.
Emmanuelle Caplette
Cindy Blackman
beastdrummagirl ;)

...and many others who I can't recall at this time.

-Jonathan

"just chops"? Vinnie and Dennis can lay down a groove with full dynamics, play simple beats with conviction and are ridiculously musical to boot. There's no "just chops" comment to be said at all with those two.

Ekim, sure, "chops" wasn't the right word. Just short hand. If you require more precise terms I was referring to technical facility and agility ... things that require high levels of physical coordination. It's territory that suits guys more than gals.

I don't know what you've been reading, but the only reason some guys might get "pissed off" is that drummers like Meg get ballooned respect for playing that seems barely adequate and only seem to do "their thing" in "their band".

There is a lot of jealousy out there because of her commercial success - the "Not fair! I'm better than her! I deserve it more than her!" attitude.

Meg receives "ballooned respect"? LOL She must be the most dissed professional drummer in the world - maybe in living memory.

And who are the people who dis her? Men. (eg. "barely adequate"). I have not seen any instance of a woman dissing Meg.

Ekim, I couldn't give a rat's posterior about her "adequacy". I totally don't care how she may or may not perform out of the WS. What matters to me is that I really enjoy some WS songs, and that includes Meg's contribution.

I don't want to be impressed by a band or a drummer - I want to be pleasured, challenged, amused, thrilled, fascinated, chilled, etc. The WS have given me pleasure so I feel positively about Meg's drumming ... and I feel more positive about her drumming than that of drummers with greater facility who play music that is more designed to impress than speak to a listener.

I'm very curious to hear how one hits stuff with sticks in a feminine manner.

Is drumming just hitting things with sticks? Is composition is just putting a bunch of notes together?

I'm not even a WS fan and it bothers me that Meg is ridiculed so much.
I really think that it is uncalled for.
I watched a bunch of WS vids to see what all of the fuss was about and aside from Meg having a primal style. I didn't see anything with her playing that didn't fit with the music that they play.
"Play What Fits"
Meg plays what fits!
Just as the drummer for The Cars played what fit that bands style.

Ekim, sure, "chops" wasn't the right word. Just short hand. If you require more precise terms I was referring to technical facility and agility ... things that require high levels of physical coordination. It's territory that suits guys more than gals.

There is a lot of jealousy out there because of her commercial success - the "Not fair! I'm better than her! I deserve it more than her!" attitude.

Meg receives "ballooned respect"? LOL She must be the most dissed professional drummer in the world - maybe in living memory.

And who are the people who dis her? Men. (eg. "barely adequate"). I have not seen any instance of a woman dissing Meg.

Ekim, I couldn't give a rat's posterior about her "adequacy". I totally don't care how she may or may not perform out of the WS. What matters to me is that I really enjoy some WS songs, and that includes Meg's contribution.

I don't want to be impressed by a band or a drummer - I want to be pleasured, challenged, amused, thrilled, fascinated, chilled, etc. The WS have given me pleasure so I feel positively about Meg's drumming ... and I feel more positive about her drumming than that of drummers with greater facility who play music that is more designed to impress than speak to a listener.

Is drumming just hitting things with sticks? Is composition is just putting a bunch of notes together?

Generalizations make you appear foolish and ignorant. Saying things like who is dissing Meg White? MEN! Makes you seem ignorant. Your argument has thus far seemed ignorant to me as it is, but the generalizations and the palpable need for you to separate men and women into two classes of musician has rubbed me the wrong way. Ive never heard music that I enjoy and say I wonder the sex of the musicians because that means anything to me. Its all music. Doesnt matter whos playing it. And people dont like Meg White. Who cares? I guarantee you its not ONLY men. Where did this statistic derive itself from? No need to defend her either, Im sure her millions of dollars in the bank can speak for themselves.

Generalizations make you appear foolish and ignorant. Saying things like who is dissing Meg White? MEN! Makes you seem ignorant. Your argument has thus far seemed ignorant to me as it is, but the generalizations and the palpable need for you to separate men and women into two classes of musician has rubbed me the wrong way. Ive never heard music that I enjoy and say I wonder the sex of the musicians because that means anything to me. Its all music. Doesnt matter whos playing it. And people dont like Meg White. Who cares? I guarantee you its not ONLY men. Where did this statistic derive itself from? No need to defend her either, Im sure her millions of dollars in the bank can speak for themselves.

Interesting that you didn't find fault in Ekim's logic, only mine.

If I said that all men dissed Meg then I'd deserve a slap. But I didn't. There are plenty of guys who are happy with what Meg does. I said I've never read a woman dissing Meg, only guys ... and I've read a LOT of comments from guys dissing her. That's not a generalisation, it's just fact.

Nobody said it wasn't "all music" [irregardless of gender] - that's a straw man argument and had nothing to do with my point, which was about what we musicians value in music and other musicians.

There ARE some differences between men and women and that means we sometimes approach things differently; no desperation from me to make a separation - it's there to see for anyone who's had a heterosexual relationship!

My point was simply that drumming has long been dominated by males. That's just fact.

So when it comes to judging quality it's necessarily judged by criteria that suits males. That's just logic.

Part of that criteria relates to physical coordination. Generally, men are simply more physically coordinated than women. That's physiology, plus some upbringing.

So when someone says that they've not seen any women drummers who approach the quality of playing by males, coordination and athleticiism are obviously the criteria, rather than gender neutral factors like taste, style, lyricism, teamwork etc.

Now, about manners ... disagree, by all means, but I found your post was rude and disrespectful.

Take a deep breath and relax, Britt. Maybe then you'd see what I'm trying to say rather than making incorrect assumptions about my views. No need to be so vicious about it ... we're talking about the music scene, not trying to push a bill through Parliament.

Interesting that you didn't find fault in Ekim's logic, only mine.

If I said that all men dissed Meg then I'd deserve a slap. But I didn't. There are plenty of guys who are happy with what Meg does. I said I've never read a woman dissing Meg, only guys ... and I've read a LOT of comments from guys dissing her. That's not a generalisation, it's just fact.

Nobody said it wasn't "all music" [irregardless of gender] - that's a straw man argument and had nothing to do with my point, which was about what we musicians value in music and other musicians.

There ARE some differences between men and women and that means we sometimes approach things differently; no desperation from me to make a separation - it's there to see for anyone who's had a heterosexual relationship!

My point was simply that drumming has long been dominated by males. That's just fact.

So when it comes to judging quality it's necessarily judged by criteria that suits males. That's just logic.

Part of that criteria relates to physical coordination. Generally, men are simply more physically coordinated than women. That's physiology, plus some upbringing.

So when someone says that they've not seen any women drummers who approach the quality of playing by males, coordination and athleticiism are obviously the criteria, rather than gender neutral factors like taste, style, lyricism, teamwork etc.

Now, about manners ... disagree, by all means, but I found your post was rude and disrespectful.

Take a deep breath and relax, Britt. Maybe then you'd see what I'm trying to say rather than making incorrect assumptions about my views. No need to be so vicious about it ... we're talking about the music scene, not trying to push a bill through Parliament.

Ive taken a deep breath and relaxed. I just dont agree with your points.

Back