free floating snare projects

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
i posted a thread earlier but it was deleted for some reason that is unclear to me but the main point of it was that i wanted to show the results of two projects i've been working on.

one was converting an old steel picollo FF snare to a full 5inch brass snare by using a 5'' shell and longer tension rods. In this picture the shell looks strange because it was in my car overnight and was freezing cold so there is condensation on it.

the other was to take a maple shell and apply zebrano wood veneer to it.

i now want to try converting and old floor tom into a deep snare.

anybody else customised a free floating snare?

Attachments

• xxxxxf.jpg
    xxxxxf.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 655
  • xxxxd.jpg
    xxxxd.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,094
Hey Jason, nice job- those look pretty substantial drums now.

If you dont mind me asking- what was the thinking behind changing the piccolo?

To my mind the point of the piccolo is to be smaller(shallower) to get a different sound.

Does it still give you that piccolo sound?

Just traded some old Paiste cymbals I wasn't using for a Pearl brass FF piccolo today ...

Oh my what a great piccolo snare, I have other snares to get other sounds (Supra 400 and an old Slingerland 6.5x14 COB) but the Free Floater sure seems to be the snare to own if you want to try different shells!

I used a FF for about a year with a custom stave walnut shell and frickin loved it...it seemed much more pleasing of a sound then the brass shell that came with it (bit drier with better low end)...it was a 80's 6.5" version and started having problems with throw-off and one of the lugs... so ended up trading it in with the brass shell... I just finished converting the walnut stave shell into a regular snare 14 x 5 and quite happy with it...I would post some pics but it always says my file is too big to post? I got to figure out how to post pics on this site.

Back