The drummers who just go for it

Who cares realy? If you can play you can play. Are you going to dismiss a drummer, however much you enjoy there playing, simply because you later learn they cant read drum notation?

Its not how well schooled you have been, its how creative and inventive you are.

Absolutely. You, me and Geezer need to start an all drummer band. In 50 years playing music, the one thing I've found to be true:....it's not how good you are, it's how much enjoyment you get playing the music that the audience loves.

I've experienced both sides, having spent the bulk of my time as a drummer self-taught, and then going on to learn rudiments and how to read music when I started taking jazz drumming lessons 3 years ago. People should play and enjoy themselves, and use whatever methods work for them. My nephew has lost interest in drumming, in no small part due to watching "drum covers" on youtube and bemoaning the fact that he thinks he'll never be able to do stuff like that - when I was his age I was just happy to bash the crap out of my drums, playing along to punk records and starting my first bands - we sounded terrible and we didn't care, it was punk and we could do what we liked. Because of that enthusiasm we kept at it, and lo and behold we each got better on our instruments. I wish my nephew could have experienced the joy of making a racket with mates, and creating stuff, (even if it isn't very good) before he started comparing himself to super technical players. Not saying he shouldn't aspire to advance his playing, just that he seems to have missed out on the sheer enjoyment of hitting stuff first, to foster that relationship with the drums that would carry him forward.

Just to clarify my like for this post. The passion for playing came first. Then learning rudiments and music reading came second.

I liked this post because it included rudiments and music reading.

Oh yeah. Hollywood you are part of the all drummer band too. Since we both are in Phoenix it may be hard for Geezer and MikeL to make practice, so it may end up just the two of us. Here's an idea. Once we get "rolling" and start selling out venues, we can invest in sheet music and music stands to put on stage so everyone'll think we're really literate and well trained. We can then double ticket prices since we'll appear to be so musically accomplished, not to mention dedicated to the written page after "whiplashing" ourselves to Godlike perfection one bar at a time over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....WAIT....THAT'S NOT THE SPEED AT WHICH THIS PIECE WAS WRITTEN !!!! FACE IN THE CORNER. NOW.

Oh yeah. Hollywood you are part of the all drummer band too. Since we both are in Phoenix it may be hard for Geezer and MikeL to make practice, so it may end up just the two of us. Here's an idea. Once we get "rolling" and start selling out venues, we can invest in sheet music and music stands to put on stage so everyone'll think we're really literate and well trained. We can then double ticket prices since we'll appear to be so musically accomplished, not to mention dedicated to the written page after "whiplashing" ourselves to Godlike perfection one bar at a time over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....WAIT....THAT'S NOT THE SPEED AT WHICH THIS PIECE WAS WRITTEN !!!! FACE IN THE CORNER. NOW.

Right on.

I especially like the idea of music stands with no sheet music on them.
I guess we will have to pretend that we are turning the pages as we play.

Right on.

I especially like the idea of music stands with no sheet music on them.
I guess we will have to pretend that we are turning the pages as we play.

As long as pages need to be or at least appear to present the need for turning, I'm thinking hot chicks in bikinis to do the turning/pretend turning. But again the cost of admission would have to go up.

...My nephew has lost interest in drumming, in no small part due to watching "drum covers" on youtube and bemoaning the fact that he thinks he'll never be able to do stuff like that...

Oh man, that really sucks.

Most yt covers are wrong, either by acts of omission or - worse yet - of commission.

The simplest money beat played with real musicians is way more interesting than the best yt cover. Best yt cover? What does that even mean. It's like the best example of masturbation. It may feel fantastic at the time, but it's a pale approximation of what it's really all about.

Ironic that this is the most brutal dis of Travis Barker in this discussion, equating him with "Pro Tools for a simple beat" Meg White.

How is her drum career progressing, by the way?

Of course she quit after the Stripes. She wasn't a drummer so such as a layperson who functioned as a drummer in a hugely successful stylistic experiment. Meg was like a de Stijl symbolic version of what we think of as rock drummers, a pretty female cartoon Ringo. It helped that her kit was always tuned well and Meg had a good whip on her backbeat.

Jack and Meg put the art in gartage :)

Well, some of the the responses are a little daft I simply asked about drummers who don't read or play rudiments...basically ones who haven't had formal training. Why did I ask? Simple interest, I like to watch these guys. I really enjoy watching how they've came up with stuff themselves off their own backs as opposed to being taught or finding anything from a rudiment book. I previously mentioned Chris, I've met him multiple times and he's a pleasure to watch.

Trying to keep it positive, not "hating", not getting "competitive", not "becoming a guitar player"

Of course she quit after the Stripes. She wasn't a drummer so such as a layperson who functioned as a drummer in a hugely successful stylistic experiment. Meg was like a de Stijl symbolic version of what we think of as rock drummers, a pretty female cartoon Ringo. It helped that her kit was always tuned well and Meg had a good whip on her backbeat.

Jack and Meg put the art in gartage :)

I realize there are people who will always defend Meg, although it's usually for some reason other than actual talent. But I always felt the Ringo Starr comparison was particularly grating. Ringo could/can play. He also wrote his own drum parts (and they are the most recognizable drum parts in rock). Yet most people only grudgingly accept him as a 'real drummer'; Ringo jokes are a dime a dozen.

Meg White could barely keep time, didn't write a single part, was cocky and full of herself in every interview, and then vanished from the scene. But she gets a pass, has angry defenders, and gets likened to one of the most successful and influential drummers in rock history ... because?

I agree, the White Stripes were an interesting art experiment. But Jack White was all the genius in that band. I'm surprised he didn't just do a McCartney and play his own drums. (And yes I know Jack defends her in lots of interviews, but Billy Corgan also hired Darcy as a bass player and pretended she was competent, even though he always re-dubbed her and James' playing. White knighting isn't just for the internet).

Back