tell me the truth

bromasi

Last night I was playing a gig(swing band) I thought I was kicking the groove pretty good felt good about the whole night, after the set was finished
everbody said I sounded great, this got me thinking, do people really tale you what they really think. Are they just being nice and they really thought you sucked

I am afraid that in the real world, both are true. Some folks will blow smoke up your skirt, and some will tell it how it really is. But keep in mind all of it is just opinion and everyone has one.

I am afraid that in the real world, both are true. Some folks will blow smoke up your skirt, and some will tell it how it really is. But keep in mind all of it is just opinion and everyone has one.

I'm afraid if I was willing to wear a skirt on the gig, then I wouldn't care what anybody said about my performance ;)

Dude, you totally suck of course.

Just think like that and you will always try to improve.

Never, never think you're any good, it's like kryptonite.

You can usually tell a heartfelt compliment from a pleasantry.

I think the journey of achieving better results with my drumming is half the fun.

I will NEVER think I am any good.

Because I am not any good.

Everyday I want to improve my control, speed and groove!

Never, never think you're any good, it's like kryptonite.

Not sure I agree with that Larry.

Sure, thinking you're the mutt's nuts, bee's knees, cat's meow and so on, you prolly aren't.

But you need to have faith in your abilities at some level, or why would others want to play with you?

Never think you can't improve though, that's a whole 'nother story.

Not sure I agree with that Larry.

Sure, thinking you're the mutt's nuts, bee's knees, cat's meow and so on, you prolly aren't.

But you need to have faith in your abilities at some level, or why would others want to play with you?

Never think you can't improve though, that's a whole 'nother story.

I was being a little cheeky. I do subscribe to it personally though. I ain't shit in the big picture. Nada. Humble works for me better than the alternative. It's OK if you don't subscribe, I still like you and your wacky spellings.

Well Larry I'm glad to bring a little colour into your life, and help you to philosophise about stuff.

The funny truth is that while I think my drumming is OK, and you express yourself way more modestly than that, I do know that your drumming is streets, avenues and whole city blocks...nay, post codes "ahead" of mine.

(Ahead is in " " because we're talking about music, whcih is not a competitive venture.)

Last night I was playing a gig(swing band) I thought I was kicking the groove pretty good felt good about the whole night, after the set was finished
everbody said I sounded great, this got me thinking, do people really tale you what they really think. Are they just being nice and they really thought you sucked
If the dance floor was full, they were telling the truth :)

I'm afraid if I was willing to wear a skirt on the gig, then I wouldn't care what anybody said about my performance ;)
Good luck with that playing your clear black dots batter & reso on a riser with floor lighting ;) ;) ;)

If the dance floor was full, they were telling the truth :)

^^^ Or, in the case of my band, as we tend to play in non-dance-friendly venues, if they're tapping their feet and dancing in their seats.

I think it's a lot easier to tell when you play badly than when you play well, as you notice and remember the weaknesses and take the good bits somewhat for granted.

I had a lovely compliment the other week at jam night. Chap came over to me and asked if he'd missed me play. I said I had played but I'd be getting up again in a bit, and he said "Oh good - you're the best of the lot!" Now, he was definitely wrong about that, but he equally definitely believed it to be true and it was a great feeling to know that somebody really liked the way I played.

Stop guessing. Buy a recorder. Record your gigs. Listen to playback of yourself. Did you sound the way you wanted to? You are your own best critic.

That's hard to know for sure but judging on how you're approached and who the person is you can narrow it down a little!

If a stranger approaches you to tell you it sounded good then it sounded good.
If it's a friend that approaches you then it could be either, normally I don't take friend compliments after shows to heart!!
If the sound approaches you then it sounded good, that or you're in his way and he's trying to make it not awkward!

Make a recording and judge for yourself.

As a practical matter, if at the end of my gig the trash cans are overflowing with beer bottles then I sounded great.

Stop guessing. Buy a recorder. Record your gigs. Listen to playback of yourself. Did you sound the way you wanted to? You are your own best critic.

Make a recording and judge for yourself.

Quoted for truth. It's really the only way to actually know. Then you can apply YOUR high standards to what you are hearing, and determine if you pass your own tests.

If you've never done it before, recorded your gigs and listened back, you may be in for a slight shock. Reconciling what you THINK happened onstage and comparing it with WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED onstage (gleaned from the recording) is a big eye opener for the first year or so. At least it was for me.

The goal is no cringing on playback.

Was going to say record yourself and see. but its been done.. also i would just ask any friends to be brutally honest and give you the truth :)

P.S. I HATE the phrase"Quoted for truth" Quoting something doesn't make it true in any way :)

Sure, thinking you're the mutt's nuts,...

HAHAHAH, I spit coffee all over the keyboard when I read that!

Which is odd, I wasn't even drinking coffee.

Well Larry I'm glad to bring a little colour into your life, and help you to philosophise about stuff.

James, for a white guy, you bring color to this whole forum.

I found that, usually, the worse I played the more the audience liked it - that's when I'd get compliments. I used to figure that they liked to watch the struggle, like Romans liked to see gladiators - that they drew energy from it somehow.

... Grea, grow angry and frustrated and let the dark side flow through you - ah, a dropped stick, the anger is strong in you tonight ...

That kind of thing :)

Back