Going from tight hi-hat to ride cymbal during songs - ride cymbal ideas

DrummerCA35

With the R&B/Funk/disco/Rock band I play with, I'm nearly always playing on the hi-hat. I have a double bass pedal, which I use some of the time. Not to blast the band out with 16th note bass figures, but because I've adapted my playing due leg injuries. (Another story.) So, I either play the bass drum with the right foot, or with the left foot, or with both.

I don't like "sloshy" hi-hats. I've tried doing the following when using the left foot to play bass drum:

1. just play with sloshy hi-hats. Don't like it.
2. set up a second, closed hi-hat near the right cymbal. This is a pain in the ass to set up, and it gets in the way.
3. I ordered the tama cobra clutch, but it's freaking heavy and I don't wanna lug it around.
4. gone to the ride cymbal bell and played, say quarter notes.

Not trying to piss, bitch, and moan, but I'm wondering if this would make sense:

Instead of riding on the hi-hat, ride on the bell of a ride cymbal. The bow of the cymbal gets lost with the band. I LOVE my paiste 2002 ride cymbal (from 1979) and I've very sentimental about it, but the bell seems small to me.

I wondering if trying the paiste bell ride, or an extra-heavy pingy ride cymbal (rock ride) or something similar would be a good alternative to the hi-hats. I'm playing a disco/funk song where I go from the hats during one section to another section where I need the double pedal, what would be a good cymbal to transition to? Say quarter notes on the bell, for example. Or even 8th notes, but on a cymbal that is very, very "pingy".

Does this make sense what I'm trying to ask, and any ideas? It hasn't sounded great to go from a tight hi-hat to a ride cymbal, yet.

I'm considering trying this with the Paiste signature bell ride.

Thanks...

So you are saying that you are having problems playing your hi hat while playing double bass?

How about a drop clutch for the hi hat? Drop it when you need the double bass and a closed hat, and pop it back on with your foot when you need to open and close the hat.

Or you can do as I do and hold the hi hat down with your heel and use the ball of your foot on the bass pedal. I like a sloshy hi hat, so a drop clutch doesn't work for me.

2. set up a second, closed hi-hat near the right cymbal. This is a pain in the ass to set up, and it gets in the way.

Now, see, I'd prefer this idea.

But if you think it's in the way, perhaps move it over so it's just above or just to the side of your main hi-hats?

Because I just don't see how a different ride cymbal is going to make up for a closed hi-hat sound.

So you are saying that you are having problems playing your hi hat while playing double bass?

How about a drop clutch for the hi hat? Drop it when you need the double bass and a closed hat, and pop it back on with your foot when you need to open and close the hat.

Or you can do as I do and hold the hi hat down with your heel and use the ball of your foot on the bass pedal. I like a sloshy hi hat, so a drop clutch doesn't work for me.

I've tried the drop clutch, but I don't like the "sloshy" sound. I like a tight, closed hi-hat. That is a cool idea about your heel on the hihat and ball of foot on the bass pedal!

Now, see, I'd prefer this idea.

But if you think it's in the way, perhaps move it over so it's just above or just to the side of your main hi-hats?

Because I just don't see how a different ride cymbal is going to make up for a closed hi-hat sound.

You know what, you're dead on right. It probably wouldn't matter what ride cymbal I used.

I will see if I can put the second hi-hat near the main hats and try that out. Thanks for the idea.

I've tried the drop clutch, but I don't like the "sloshy" sound. I like a tight, closed hi-hat. That is a cool idea about your heel on the hihat and ball of foot on the bass pedal!

So even with the drop clutch off and the weight of the top hat on top of the bottom hat is still too sloshy for you? Wow, you would hate how I have my hi hat set up (1/4" gap between cymbals). If you like the choked sound of the hats pressed against each other, and you don't like using a cobra clutch, I would experiment with having your heel on hi hat pedal and the ball of your foot on the double bass slave pedal and see how your double bass patterns feel. I have gotten used to it and find it works well for me.

So even with the drop clutch off and the weight of the top hat on top of the bottom hat is still too sloshy for you? Wow, you would hate how I have my hi hat set up (1/4" gap between cymbals). If you like the choked sound of the hats pressed against each other, and you don't like using a cobra clutch, I would experiment with having your heel on hi hat pedal and the ball of your foot on the double bass slave pedal and see how your double bass patterns feel. I have gotten used to it and find it works well for me.

It's really more of a feel thing for me, and sound too. I did one song with continual 16th notes on a "sloshy" hi-hat, while using the double pedal, and the singer said "sounds great!." Thanks again for the ideas.

Yes I've used the heel and toe of the foot split between the hats and the kick.. but it's a bit awkward. You have to have exact positioning of the pedals to make it ergonomic.. and it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with it.

I agree, I've never liked drop clutches.. they're always too heavy and it's like attaching a 20lb weight to the hihat stand, which I find kills the feel.

Another trick is to just tighten the hats down and simulate the open/close hat sound by just using accents on the stick shoulder, but it's not ideal. Good luck with the other leg!

Yes I've used the heel and toe of the foot split between the hats and the kick.. but it's a bit awkward. You have to have exact positioning of the pedals to make it ergonomic.. and it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with it.

I agree, I've never liked drop clutches.. they're always too heavy and it's like attaching a 20lb weight to the hihat stand, which I find kills the feel.

Another trick is to just tighten the hats down and simulate the open/close hat sound by just using accents on the stick shoulder, but it's not ideal. Good luck with the other leg!

Thanks! I've tried that too. We do the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime" where it's steady 16th notes on the hi-hat, and a bass drum pattern I need both feet to play. So I tried tightening them down like you mentioned.

My dream hi-hat stand would where it somehow incorporates the ability to close the thing with your foot off it. Without having to lug around a tama cobra clutch or something.

Instead of a 2nd hi hat machine :)

Would a cable remote 2nd hi hat always closed real tight work? For all those genres, there is no substitute for the hats.

Time for some custom hardware.

You can figure out how to mount a closed set of hats without an actual HH stand.

I'd try to find room on the right side, by the ride and play open handed.

I do this easily with my E kit and it's so much more comfortable. I'm sure you can accomplish the same thing wit your a kit.

One of these bad boys next to your other pair of hats, maybe?
http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Cymbal-Mounts/Gibraltar-Hat-Arm-Adjustable-Clamp-9707X.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHX-W_k4flO82OKLmfBhVoExSJYCTYujz9Le9jdeZfD3hoCBkzw_wcB

GEARLESS-BREAK-XHAT.JPG

Question: Do you open your hi-hats at all when you play? If not, perhaps you just lock them closed and you're done. in fact, you could just go to the x-hat as your only hi-hat and ditch the hi-hat stand.

Maybe someone makes something opposite of a drop clutch? Something thst when you hit/lock it, the hats stays very close together with lots of tension ???

I bet you could install a hook similar to a drop clutch but on the pedal itself. That way when you use it , pedal is down. Kick it off and pedal is free again.

Instead of a 2nd hi hat machine :)

Would a cable remote 2nd hi hat always closed real tight work? For all those genres, there is no substitute for the hats.

Agreed! Though, quarter notes on the bell of the ride, or maybe the "ands" on the bell can sound cool. But, I agree!

Maybe someone makes something opposite of a drop clutch? Something thst when you hit/lock it, the hats stays very close together with lots of tension ???

I bet you could install a hook similar to a drop clutch but on the pedal itself. That way when you use it , pedal is down. Kick it off and pedal is free again.

Would love something like this.

One of these bad boys next to your other pair of hats, maybe?
http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Cymbal-Mounts/Gibraltar-Hat-Arm-Adjustable-Clamp-9707X.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHX-W_k4flO82OKLmfBhVoExSJYCTYujz9Le9jdeZfD3hoCBkzw_wcB

GEARLESS-BREAK-XHAT.JPG

Question: Do you open your hi-hats at all when you play? If not, perhaps you just lock them closed and you're done. in fact, you could just go to the x-hat as your only hi-hat and ditch the hi-hat stand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a device that will hold the hats and attach to a boom stand. Gonna try that out. Yes, I open the hats when I play them. It's only when going to the double bass (or playing the bass with my left foot) that I want a pair of tightly closed hats. I have a second pair of hats, will try them on a boom stand with that device for more flexibility in positioning.

Time for some custom hardware.

You can figure out how to mount a closed set of hats without an actual HH stand.

I'd try to find room on the right side, by the ride and play open handed.

I do this easily with my E kit and it's so much more comfortable. I'm sure you can accomplish the same thing wit your a kit.

Yes, gonna try mounting the second pair of hats with the Gibraltar SC-XHAT X-Hat Attachment, and mount to a boom arm.

Back