we should find rhythms in everything !

Fantastic!................

Yes - great fun, & good phone avoidance skills too ;)

But I get you on the bigger picture. Food for thought :) I often find myself working through grooves to music that either doesn't contain any percussion instrument or has no obvious repeat rhythm structure.

Might be best to replace the link in the OP with the drummer's original link. Dan wanted the other link taken down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEHz__pQdXY

Apart from great imagination, interpretation and skills I noticed that:

1. He has total confidence in his control and technique to use a smartphone as a floor tom mute

2. How about that mounted tom head!

Rain, machines, footsteps ...

WhoIsTony?;1177706 ....and yeah...my dog drinks water in 7/8 it's pretty awesome[/QUOTE said:
That's way cool. If I start my wipers and my blinkers at the same time I can get a 7 against 4 polyrhythm,

That was freaking awesome.

I have always heard rhythms in odd places. My air conditioner is polyrhythmic.

Saw this before. Great stuff!

I find rhythms in all sorts of crazy places. I'm not sure if that's indicative of my "craziness" or not though.

I also enjoy when my daughter sits down at one of my sets and starts fiddling. She can tap out some "interesting" stuff.

I think you touched on an area that is common mainly in the minds of musicians. Taking the sounds of everyday life and emulating them on your instrument. I love it when an instrument tries to emulate either nature or other instruments. For instance a guitar player playing a horn line, or a guitar player turning the tone all the way down and playing organ-ey sounding chords to resemble a B3...etc.

Ever see Eddie Van Halen do a horse imitation with his guitar? I think stuff like that is an apex of creativity.

But yea, extracting rhythms out of everyday sounds is definitely a musician thing. Good topic Whois...

[QUOTE....and yeah...my dog drinks water in 7/8
it's pretty awesome[/QUOTE]

LMAO. that's the best thing I heard in a long time and, yes, I'll be using that in the future.

The bugs and frogs outside at night make a pretty cool rythym sometimes. I can hear them while I am sleeping and sometimes I'll put music to it in my head.

My cat farts in cut time lol.

I also like it when musicians have fun with their instrument. Like when a band breaks into a theme song of a popular TV show like the Simpsons or something. I knew a band who used to go into "The Patty Duke" theme song. It was a riot! It's fun and people repspond to it. That's a big reason why Weird Al has the longevity he does. He makes music fun.

I like musicians who go beyond the "look at me and how cool I am" phase and get on with the actual uses and reasons for music. It's can really make social change, that's how powerful it is. Music has so many uses beyond merely "being cool". And the upside is when you move past that "me" phase and really use the instrument what it was intended for, you don't have to try and look cool because you already are cool. You "get it".

But back OT, right now I have an electric fan going. It's like a constant drum roll. Turn signals and windshield wipers to the radio are all something any drum nutter understands. Really, listening to the rhythms of nature is a great thing. Having an appreciation for rhythms all around you can only help for playing drums. I love hearing the seagulls screaming against the waves crashing at the beach. It's music.

On another note, I love the depth of commitment that comes through on this WhoIsTony guy's posts.

"851, 851" around 0:47 really caught my ear for some reason.

I hear rhythms in mechanical contraptions a lot. Computer fans/hard drives, especially when starting, all kinds of car noises (every car is different, and of course, older ones make more noises), my garage door opener, etc. Almost anything that rolls on wheels (bicycles, wagons, shopping carts!, etc) are good because they repeat.

I also listen to (and sometimes talk to) the birds in my yard. Cardinals make beautiful songs, robins can be complex too.

I also listen to (and sometimes talk to) the birds in my yard. Cardinals make beautiful songs, robins can be complex too.

Cool! I love birds. Have you noticed the robins sing differently in the morning as compared to evening?

Back