What drum/cymbal do you regret selling or wish you could have back...

D

dmacc_2

For me it was 2 cymbals...

- A mid 1980's 20" Zildjian Swish Knocker. Not sure why, but I'd love to have this one back.
- My first Zildjian ride I purchased around 1979 with my own money as a kid - a 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride

You???

Sometimes I regret selling my Crash of Doom. The thing is, the room I play in is tiny so the acoustics are wretched. It just sounded like a giant piece of sheet metal being hit. I'm having the same issue with my Byzance Extra Dry ride when I crash, actually. Maybe combined with the room there are just too many overtones to allow it to really spread.

My first drumset included a slightly damaged Ludwig Pioneer snare in blue duco. After a little work to fix it up, it sounded awesome. I sold the kit to get a new one, and LIKE AN IDIOT I included the Pioneer. I would be using the heck out of that little drum today. (I ought to go down to Music 6000 in Olympia and see if it ever sold... this was like 14 years ago.)

I wish I could have my 22" A Zildjian ride, 13" K Zildjian hats and 10" A Zildjian splash that were stolen last November along with my Zickos kit and Ludwig copper timbales. Do I go on about this too much? Yes!

1970's Ludwig Vistalite Clear 6 piece kit...Sold it with a Zildjian 22" ride, Zildjian 18" crash, and Zildjian 14" hi-hats with hardware for..............$700 :(

This was 10 years ago and I REALLY needed the money...

My complete series of Masterwork Jazz Series cymbals. They put my Zildjian A's to shame.

Not that I sold, but I'd like to get back the cymbals I had stolen a couple years ago. 14" New Beats, 16" Medium Crash and 20" Ping Ride. I miss the Ping Ride most. That was a cool cymbal. I liked it a lot more than the 20" A Custom Ride that I replaced it with for rock gigs.

My first drum ever was a blue Ludwig vistalite snare. Being the first, I never really understood its value or how great it really sounded until after I sold it and got some pile of crap Pearl snare that I had oggled for years (but never really tried enough to know how much it sucked in comparison). Anyone out there have one of these in good condition?

The other was a 22" Zildjian Heavy Constantinople ride. It was old at the time I bought it off my drum teacher when I was just starting out. At the time I always thought that it wasn't for me because I wanted a Ping ride. I don't even know why I thought I wanted a Ping ride, just that I did. How could an old, used, beat up cymbal that was covered in patina and had the Zildjian logo worn off possibly be better than a shiny new Ping ride? Well... it was. I would like it back, please.

My Zildjian New Beat Hats. I sold them a few years back when i decided to go with all Sabian. Don't get me wrong i love my AAX Stage Hats but if i could go back in time i would have NEVER sold those New Beats.

Not that I sold, but I'd like to get back the cymbals I had stolen a couple years ago. 14" New Beats, 16" Medium Crash and 20" Ping Ride. I miss the Ping Ride most. That was a cool cymbal. I liked it a lot more than the 20" A Custom Ride that I replaced it with for rock gigs.

I feel your pain. When you've been there you can understand.

yamaha recording custom 24*16, 14*11, 16*14, 14*6½ in black metallic, sold it 1994. very nice drums.

tama starclassic 22,10,12,13,16 , 5½ in amber gold, sold 2003.. beautiful finish.

tama bell brass lars ulrich, sold 2008. a beast! weight 24 lbs...

and i wish i didnt crack my 60`s. a-zildjian 24"-ride, and that i knew it was something special..used it at rehearsal, sounded like a china, it was that thin.
big regrets, and im much wiser now..

Last edited:
Drum set - my first Gretsch kit - natural maple lacquer - purchased new in 1978.I originally bought an 18/12/14 with matching 5 x 14 wood shell snare and then added 6;8;and 10 " dounble headed toms and a 16 " floor tom and a 22 x 14 bass drum. The snare drum was the only dog in the whole kit.I have had a fondness for natural maple lacquer kits ever since. This was my first Professional quality drum set.

Honorable mention - Cherrywood lacquer Yamaha Recording Custom - Pre-YESS
10/12/14/22 - just a beautiful set of drums and the epitome of what makes Yamaha drums great.

Cymbal - Probably my first 20 " Paiste Traditional medium heavy ride - really nice ride with a nice blend of ping and wash.Little louder than the other rides in the Traditional line , hence more versatile.I had another but it was not as nice as the first one.

Honorable mention - Canadian K Zildjian ride cymbal- I bought this new when they first came out - never used it properly as I did not understand the dark wash was a good thing and sold it. Pingy cymbals were in in the late 70's. Oh how my tastes have changed since then.

Snare Blue Olive Badge 5 x 14 Ludwig hammered Bronze snare drum- it had some discolorization and some tarnish on the hoops - but it sounded great.

Back