The ddrum Diablo Punx has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

805Drummer

Gold Member
As some of you may know, I am trading my PDP 805 with Drummersword, for his ddrum Diablo Punx set.

It came today!

I haven't memorized the specs, but here are some pics and video of me setting it up.

I also haven't decided on how I want to set it up with my current kit. The bass drum sounds terrible, so I'm gonna use my Export for bass until I can get the ddrum tuned better (via drumdial, once I buy it). The floor toms are good (very light!) and the rack toms are pretty high pitched, great to contrast with my Export toms. However, they have weird proprietary mounts, so it's hard to mount them.

My favorite part is the side snare. It's awesome! It just snaps and cracks!

PIC_1398.jpg

PIC_1405.jpg

PIC_1400.jpg

PIC_1403.jpg

PIC_1411.jpg

PIC_1410.jpg

PIC_1414.jpg

Video and more pics coming soon!

PS: Tell me this isn't the most Frankenstein kit you've ever seen.

I've seen many more time worst. It's very OK ;-)

I'm sure that Pete have taken good care of that punx. For the fun of it swap your SK to the punx BD and tell us the difference between both kick (ie. export).

well I did the searching, and if your kit is like the new ones its basswood through and through.

Why dont you try tuning the bass drum without the drumdial.
Trust me itll be better to practice tuning by ear.

Well, you know, guys, I'm not really sure. Did I make a bad move? I mean, the color of the drums, I admit, it's not...very....status quo. I'd really like a good, consistent drum set, where all the drums are the same, and there's no mixing and matching. My semi-local music shop will buy drums for half the original price, but I just realized that my PDP is worth more than the ddrums. That's correct, right?

I would save the money on the drum dial, I would save the money on what it cost to ship the PDP set, and put all of it toward a better set. Appearance is a personal thing but IMO nothing looks cheaper than those mixed color drum and hardware sets. Thats not to say that gold plated looks bad but painted to me looks terrible. And again just basswood is not the best you could have done. You now have a mixed bunch of drums that you will have a lot od trouble trying to sell if you ever want to upgrade. Imagine what that would look like on eBay or Craigslist.

well, the punx is the lowest level of ddrums besides the D2 or something like that...

you can make them sound nice....i have old CB's that are pieces of crap, and people compliment me on how nice they sound...

and i think you should just use all the ddrum's. dont mix and match them....it looks very, very bad...

and learn how to tune...if you rely on a drumdial for it, you'll never learn...and learn now...your young, it will help you out...

Alex

I would save the money on the drum dial, I would save the money on what it cost to ship the PDP set, and put all of it toward a better set. Appearance is a personal thing but IMO nothing looks cheaper than those mixed color drum and hardware sets. Thats not to say that gold plated looks bad but painted to me looks terrible. And again just basswood is not the best you could have done. You now have a mixed bunch of drums that you will have a lot od trouble trying to sell if you ever want to upgrade. Imagine what that would look like on eBay or Craigslist.

Well, since I'm trading, I either have to send my 805 away (sans snare) or the ddrums back. Whichever I don't send away, and decide to keep, I would probably trade them at a local store that will either give you half the cash you paid for them, or trade them for something else used, which is what I would do.

well, the punx is the lowest level of ddrums besides the D2 or something like that...

you can make them sound nice....i have old CB's that are pieces of crap, and people compliment me on how nice they sound...

and i think you should just use all the ddrum's. dont mix and match them....it looks very, very bad...

and learn how to tune...if you rely on a drumdial for it, you'll never learn...and learn now...your young, it will help you out...

Alex

Wow, I wish I would've known this before...I feel bad sending them back...but it looks like I should....

And about the drumdial...I can't tune. I don't care about learning how to tune. I just want to make my drums sound good.

I don't care about learning how to tune. I just want to make my drums sound good.

you never will learn how to tune with that atitude....i wish they would have never made the drum dial, everone needs to know how to tune...

its not hard...look it up on youtube, and experiment....

ITS NOT HARD!! just takes time and practice(what doesnt)

Alex

you never will learn how to tune with that atitude....i wish they would have never made the drum dial, everone needs to know how to tune...

its not hard...look it up on youtube, and experiment....

ITS NOT HARD!! just takes time and practice(what doesnt)

Alex

Alright, fine, but about the drums! I just don't know...

Should I send the ddrums back or trade the PDPs? I feel really bad about sending them back, but they weren't what I thought they were.

OK, dude, here's what's up. In order, from worst to best, your kits are:

Pearl Export
DDrum Punx
PDP 805

Now, if it comes down to having a Frankenkit set up between the Pearl and PDP, or just having one kit that looks nice and together in the Punx, I'd say keep the Punx, sell the Export, and send off the 805s per the deal you made. As I'm sure you have learned between the five threads about all of this, most people do not like Frankenkits, and they also have a very low sale value...most stores won't buy them at all, and good luck selling one on eBay or Craig's List or getting a trade like you did for the 805s.

Now, one important point...you agreed to this trade. If you send the Punx back, not only do you have to pay for that shipping, but you owe Drummersword for the shipping that he spent to send the Punx to you.

Once you make a deal, it's crap to pull out of it (once it's shipped, etc). You REALLY need to settle down. Research the gear you are looking at getting. Come on here and ask people about it. This has been your problem the whole time. You got all excited when you got your Exports and moved away from the 805s...and you got ripped on for downgrading. Then you agreed to trade your 805s for the Punx, even though the 805s are a better kit, by far. You tell people that wood type isn't really important, which is just false. You could have avoided all of these mistakes by just coming on here and learning, asking people before you make moves, etc. Had you looked around here, you would know that Pearl Export is considered pretty much the worst line by a "real" drum maker (as opposed to CB, etc), you would know that basswood drums aren't as good as birch, etc. Stop making impulse buys, trades, etc, and start doing research before you make a move.

Most people on here will ask people what they think about different drums...research them on numerous sites...go and play them (or at least the same series)...discuss set-up options and head options...and THEN decide if they move. It's one of the best things about this site.

One final thought...if you do decide to keep the 805s, just try using a snare stand to mount your rack tom to the left of your bass drum, and you might be able to reach it better.

Should I send the ddrums back or trade the PDPs? I feel really bad about sending them back, but they weren't what I thought they were.

This is your fault, not his. Again, if you send it back, you owe him the money he spent shipping it to you. He didn't trick you or anything, you just agreed without doing any research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back