THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Greamy Goodness said:
I know this goes against what alot of people here have said BUT...

I play in a punk band, we also go into some reggae, jazz, metal and funk. I use a Pearl Piccolo, its only 13" by 3" i think but it gets an awesome sound oh yeah its also maple! but the thing is I really like the full bodied, tight, punchy sound, which I can get from my Piccolo.

I just either put an O ring on or off depending on what sound suits the song best!

I am also eyeing off a Gretsch Maple Snare, 12" by 5.5"
My motivation behind buying this is that it will give me the tight, punchy-ness of the piccolo but because it is deeper it will bring in a bit more bottom end which I feel I need for alot of stuff. I also think it will sound sweet for recording!

What does everyone else think of this snare Im contemplating buying?

if you want a high pitch "punchy" snare sound but want the fullness of a reg. snare go with the joey jordison signature if you can afford it. listen to some slipknot 3.0 for the sound of it. idk what u guys think but it is the best snare in my book

asht89 said:
I have the Pearl chad smith signature snare and i love it to bits. Its great for funk / rock, that sort of stuff and has a real crack to it. blistering rimshots. I love it to bits as it suits my style of playing. its not too versatile and wont work too well in all styles, but if you play in styles such as funk, rock, rnb, gospel etc then definetly go for it. I have a coated Evans genera g1 on top and a clear remo ambasodor on the resonant, all cranked up and it sounds ace.
cs4214.jpg

I totally agree! Its so smooth.. The real "rock" snare.. Have you heard it when it is micked? amazing..

135297.jpg

I use Mapex Black Panthers. they got a really quick and tight sound to them, and they're pretty affordable. they come in maple and metal, and pretty much any finish you want.

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

CartersChops said:
carterrrrrrrr.jpg

carter used it with dave matthews band on the central park album, i think he uses ocheltree snare drums otherwise. but anyway, this snare has the best crack ive ever heard. it exploads, and then you dont expect it to have such incredible sensativity at low volumes. no ring, overtones get a listen for yourself

Carter did use Dunnet for a while. He had a snare, and a timbale. Right now, he is back with Yamaha using a prototype snare. I have tried to look it up, but failed terribly. From the looks of it, its a 5.5-6.5 x 13-14" snare, and I have no idea what the matieral is. When I went to the show in St. Louis, it had a weird paint job... I only saw it for a brief second though. Long live DMB, lol!

This is a long list, but I suppose I'll throw in my $.02

My primary snare is a 14x5.5 20 ply maple with Evans Super Tough head cranked down quite a ways with a nice thick black snare wires on the bottom. Delivers a nice crack. My backup snare is a Pork Pie acrylic, same dimensions, same head, same wires. Same basic sound but a lot louder. For aux snares I use a pork pie little squealer with an evans e2 head. Everything seems to work just peachy for me.

Has anyone tried Vinnie Pauls singnature snare yet? If yes , can u tell how it sounded, and is it worth the money!

Thanks in advance

It has been previously mentioned, but you really do need to actually put stick to batter to find the right snare for you. One must consider their playing style, aural and visual preferences, and, unfortunately, but perhaps most importantly, their budget.

One's tastes can often outrace one's bank account. The good news is that there are a lot of great snares out there that almost everyone can afford. Here are a few of my favorites, in no particular order.

Ludwig Acrolite - Often overlooked, but a great all-around snare. It works in almost any setting, has a seamless spun aluminum shell, plenty of articulation as well as crack, and is usually around $100.00 bucks.

Ludwig Supraphonic - Arguably the most recorded snare drum ever. A little more expensive than the Acro, but well worth it. Apx $200.00 to $300.00

Pearl Sensitone - Not a "boutique" snare, but a good all-around player at about $170.00.

Tama Starclassic - Great sounding wood drums with beautiful finishes, $250.00 and up..........way up.

Sonor D505-506 - These are starting to get pricey, depending on their condition, but they are fantastic 24 lug metal snare drums, some of the most articulate and visually appealing metal snares ever made (IMO). $300.00 and up.

That's my two cents worth.

what about yamaha maple snare drums?does anyone have any opinion??Im looking forward in buyng a maple custom 14x6,5. what do you think about yamaha maple snares??

Panos_from_greece! said:
what about yamaha maple snare drums?does anyone have any opinion??Im looking forward in buyng a maple custom 14x6,5. what do you think about yamaha maple snares??

I'm starting to regret the fact I went cheap and only got a $200 Porkpie, instead of springing $450 for a Yamaha/Tama/DW 14x6.5 Maple drum...oh well, always next trip to GC.

What are some favorite secondary snares you guys have used? I'm looking at mostly Pearl Piccolos or Firecrackers, and now the Yamaha Musashi has caught my eye. Definitely want one with a good CRACK to it, not much ring, and in the $110-$240 USD range. Not wider than 13", not deeper than 6.5".

For a regular snare I'm looking at Black Panther or Supraphonic, but I've got my eyes open for anything else in the $200-$400 USD range. That includes a Pearl Session custom, and many others. Hoping to keep it a wood snare, but if I try out a metal and like it, that's no problem.

Back to the topic of secondary snares, what have you guys tried/liked?

Panos_from_greece! said:

Yamaha makes wonderful drums, and their maple snares sound great. My main giging snare is a 14x5.5 maple custom absolute, and it has great cut and sensitivity live, while still sounding warm. The snare you are looking at has a thicker shell than the absolutes, so it will be a little more controlled. Definitely a great drum.

Personally, I love my 5 1/2" x 14" Premier Artist Maple, its the loudest snare drum I've ever had, but its really responsive for real quiet stuff or brush work, also got a little 3" x 13" Maple picalo by pearl that sounds great for funky stuff, had that for years.

hey i have no idea what this drum is made out of or the dimensions but if you can find them out i woud say you will have one of the amzing snares ever just try and find out all that stuff for abe cunninghams snare drum in my opinion best snare drum ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't too keen on the 14x4 Yamaha Maple Custom Nouveau snare. Just didn't sound good at all, but there's factors such as heads and tuning. BUT! I will tell you the greatest snare I have ever heard in my entire life.....OMAR HAKIM SIGNATURE SNARE by Pearl. I nearly creamed listening to this thing in the store today. Cheap price too, under 350 Canadian.

I recently heard and played a DW wood yamaha brass, ludwig super sensitive but the one drum that killed em all was the craviotto 5x 14 I mean it was l light years ahead of the others I have a wide range of chops and played all of the drums from ppp to FFF and as far as tone crack rim shot you name it that drum had it all...and i am usually a skeptic when it comes to designer drums figuring that once you get to a certain quality they all tend to sound as good as the next I have been proven wrong!!! like you I can't afford this drum but would advise you to check it out and if you like it hey your halfway there with 400.00 usd, I am holding off till I have the money and going for the cravioto drum myself. I was knocked out [no I do not work for them but wish I did lol]

This is the snare sound that I want..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-wZQ0kB6Sw

With that, I got a couple of questions.

1) What kind of snare was used?
2) How do I attain that kind of sound with my snare (catalina mapl 14x6)? Heads, tuning?
3) I've never heard of a nice POP crack up close, but i've used just a few number of snare drums, usually low end ones. Are these nice cracks only heard when the top head is miced?

thanks

Back