PDP platinum vs Mapex pro m

dieseldesade

What do you the members of drummerworld think? I'm looking at both kits and can't decide. The salesman at GC likes the PDP (of course he keeps them in stock) and he said the hardware with the Pro M sucks. But the PDP is a shell kit with no snare and I would have to by hardware anyway. both kits have a 24"k 18"t 16"t 13"t. The Pro M also comes with steel snare and a Black Panther 13"x6" cherry and maple snare and some hardware. I like the looks and sound of both kits. So please help me decide. Thanks

'

Have you thought about buying used? Reason I'm asking is because I think you might be better off buying a used full PDP kit with decent hardware for a price comparable to the Mapex. I love Mapex kits, but PDP seems to have better quality control. In the end, a good maple PDP is definately worth using when in comes to gigs and recording. Not that Mapex isn't, but I just tend to lean towards PDP.

If the sales man is trying to tell you what to buy - then get a new salesman - cause now hes just stealing work from us ; )
Seriously though my vote goes to mapex - pdp shells just dont seem all that well made and the hardware is superior on the mapex also, but just my .02$
Good hunting!

Let me first say I love Mapex stuff. I think they are very under-rated. You will love that 13x6 snare. Their hardware is very good and quality is top notch. I would be happy playing a pro-m in a live venue any day.

Having said that, between these two choices I would lean towards the Pacific set. Although both are maple, I think you will like Pacific's maple sound more. Their hardware has sucked in the past. And I mean sucked! But really I would buy a drum set for the shells, not the hardware. You can replace that stuff piece by piece later as stuff strips out and gets worn out.

Both are great choices and someone could probably just as easily say to get the Pro-M (and rightfully so) but I would pick the Pacific as a better buy in this situation.

I love Mapex kits, but PDP seems to have better quality control. .

Isn't Mapex the proud recipient of some incredibly difficult to obtain Quality Control Award? The award name escapes me, but there is NO knock on Mapex QC. I have no knock on PDP QC either mind you,

The PDP seems to be a higher end kit, but it's hard for me to say it's a better deal, with the Pro M coming with adequate hardware and an incredibly sweet Black Panther snare. Try hard for the used stuff and ensure yourself of a good deal.

Remember, nobody rides for free. You do pay for those free drums. How many years now has Mapex been "giving away" a free rack tom, or a snare.

What do you the members of drummerworld think? I'm looking at both kits and can't decide. The salesman at GC likes the PDP (of course he keeps them in stock) and he said the hardware with the Pro M sucks. But the PDP is a shell kit with no snare and I would have to by hardware anyway. both kits have a 24"k 18"t 16"t 13"t. The Pro M also comes with steel snare and a Black Panther 13"x6" cherry and maple snare and some hardware. I like the looks and sound of both kits. So please help me decide. Thanks

'

The hardware from Mapex most certainly does NOT suck. It works as intended and has held up pretty well for me. In light of the fact that the GC dude is trying to sell what he stocks, I think that his opinion is null and void.

Strictly looking at the toms and kick drums, those two kits are pretty much a wash. each has small advantages over the area in certain areas but they are small and generally come down to preference, not something being horribly wrong with the gear.

I have to say, the platinum kits are very nice, but in this case I think the Mapex kit is the better value. The hardware costs should not be underestimated and you will have to pony up for a good snare drum for the PDP kit. The Black panther snare alone is a quality drum let alone as a second snare.

The hardware from Mapex most certainly does NOT suck. It works as intended and has held up pretty well for me. In light of the fact that the GC dude is trying to sell what he stocks, I think that his opinion is null and void.

Strictly looking at the toms and kick drums, those two kits are pretty much a wash. each has small advantages over the area in certain areas but they are small and generally come down to preference, not something being horribly wrong with the gear.

I have to say, the platinum kits are very nice, but in this case I think the Mapex kit is the better value. The hardware costs should not be underestimated and you will have to pony up for a good snare drum for the PDP kit. The Black panther snare alone is a quality drum let alone as a second snare.

This is some seriously well thought out and informed information right here.

I have a Mapex Saturn kit and last year sold off a Mapex MBirch kit. The hardware is damn good and holds up to weekly gigging without failure. I think you will find a better dollar value buying the Mapex kit and you won't have to buy anything else. I also have a PDP platinum kit so I've had both to compare.

I'd go with the Mapex myself if for no other reason than you get a complete kit ready to go.

MAPEX, MAPEX, MAPEX!

Can't say it enough. The ProM and M-Birch drums are great, and if they are going to cost you less money go for it. I think they sound just as good if not better than the Pacifics (yes, I have teched both kits in studio settings) and with the snare - a darn good snare, btw - included, you can't go wrong. Heck, you don't even really need to change the heads on the Mapex stuff to get good sounds... especially with the birch.

Mapex bass drums just sound better to me than most other companies. If I were buying a new kit (but I'm not because I have too many) I would go this route.

PDP....quality control.........issues? There is no issue. They have no quality control.

OK, enough random scare tactics. Do you have information first hand or at least close to it of a current production piece having issues? Entertaining us with problems you had 3/4/5 years ago really isn't relevant today

Add another option well worth considering:

Sonor 3005's with hardware & free shipping: $729 on eBay. IMHO, the Sonor kit is superior in all areas to the Pro M & PDP.

Peace

never played mapex pro m or pacific platinum but i have a pdp mx maple and i gotta say that thing is absolutely AMAZING..... Throw some ec2s you get a great tone! I would go with pdp IMO.

Interesting posts..

I have had a first-gen PDP CX for over 3+ years. Being in two bands, I have tore down and set up countless times. The only issue I have had is the roll pins loosening up on cymbal holder. Fixed that with some permanent lock-tite. The first thing I did when I got my kit was put thread grease on ALL threads to keep them from galling up over repeated use. The only BIG complaint I have ever had is the poor snare drum that came with it. No big deal.

Both the Mapex and the PDP sound great. If I had to make the decision, I would probably buy the less expensive kit and use the extra cash for a good cymbal.

I own a Platinum series kit, and it truley sounds amazing. There are no problems with the shells, and the wrap finish is great. The overall quality is nothing short of amazing. Keep in mind with the PDP Platinum series you have the opportunity to buy the drums individually, giving you a little more freedom with your setup.This was one of the things that really got my attention. Therefor, you can get a Platinum series kit with a snare. Even a solid Maple snare in the 5x14" I believe. Anyways, goodluck with whatever you buy.

Last edited:
Mapex.

I have heard reports of the Platinum hardware and lugs melting under stage lights.

If the sales man is trying to tell you what to buy - then get a new salesman - cause now hes just stealing work from us ; )
Seriously though my vote goes to mapex - pdp shells just dont seem all that well made and the hardware is superior on the mapex also, but just my .02$
Good hunting!

hahaha!
.02$

I also herd that the pro m is going to be discontinued.....

Back