American Band

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Our band plays this tune, I know how to play the intro thie issue is my damn foot. I can't seem to play it clean, or I rush the tempo. I have a Pearl Eliminator pedal and I normally use the black cam, however I have tried all the cams, tried different tensions, practicing with the metronome at 120, Just can't seem to dial it in in my old age. As a youth with my trusty old Ghost pedal, piece of cake. So just to make it clean I made up a hybrid triplet fill that works it's just that it's really pissing me off. Any tips or am I making too much of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzYCsUy9MA

cool 'iconic' drum part, i'd like to learn it too.
why not get yourself a ghost pedal? I recently got an old speed king and love it.

If my foot is feeling slow that day I also do a triplet fill for the intro.

S, floor, kick
rack, floor, kick
rack2, floor, kick
rack, floor, kick
rack2, floor, kick

S, floor, kick
rack, floor, kick
rack2, floor, kick
rack, floor, kick
S flam S flam

or something like that haha. I build from that structure and probably play more notes if I play it out live. It sounds better than the original IMO.

Last edited:
Really, that kick part can be deceptively simple. It's just that the lick itself is so short and is over before you know it, so it sounds worse than it really is. I suspect you already have the raw skill to pull it together.

Assuming you can already play quick-ish doubles on the kick, the the way I would go about it would be to convert that lick into a beat that you can play continuously.

Try playing straight 8ths on the hi-hat and play those flammed tom accents (dotted quarters) on the snare. Then add the kick doubles as they're normally played evenly spaced between the snare accents and sit on that groove for as long as it takes to get it happening. Then work it up to speed. Once it's burned into your brain and sounding just right, shift your hands back to the toms and you're done.

A bit of time spent with good reps on it should be all it takes. Piece of cake!

. . .

Assuming you can already play quick-ish doubles on the kick, the the way I would go about it would be to convert that lick into a beat that you can play continuously.

. . .

that's funny

Back