5 Year Wall

betard_foosier

I have heard of hitting walls, but after 5 years of playing and practicing, I think this instrument just isn't for me. My double bass has not progressed in the least, after 5 years, my feet still wear out after 3 minutes of playing, I literally cannot single past 150, and my doubles are stuck at 110. After several minutes, my feet just become noncompliant and shut off. And my basic hand rudiments never, ever get any faster. I think there are some people that are just not cut out for certain things, and I found mine. Anybody else in this boat?

Sounds like you need to get a good teacher. Sometimes we need the input and guidance from an instuctor to help us through issues.

Take some lessons for a while, then decide if the drums aren't for you.

Seriously, man! We all feel like that at times. Give yourself time. The drummers you have seen who can achieve incredible technical feats had to practise a lot longer than 5 years to get there. Progress in any instrument is slow at times, especially in the first 10 years. However from personal experience music is something incredibly enriching and important in my life, despite frustrations with my playing. I see it as 19 days out of 20 I'll be dissatisfied with my playing, but it's all worth it for that 1 day I work hard for and realise "wow! I've improved." A bit of self-criticism spurs you on.

As has been said, a good teacher will point you in the right direction and should inspire you. Keep playing music at any opportunity. A lot of drummers lose their way if they constantly practise exercises and have no opportunity to play with a LIVE band (not just playalongs).

Also be aware of watching too many drummers. The internet is a fantastic resource but at the same time there are so many amazing drummers showing us cool stuff to practise that we end up not developing well in any one given field. We develop drum ADHD.

Routines are good, your teacher should provide you with a good one. Routines keep you working to a solid goal. Take your time shopping around and looking for a good teacher... They're worth their weight in gold.

It sounds like you just need to change your approach. Have you gotten any lessons? I teach a lot and find that many people practice things in a way that won't go the distance for their entire drumming life. (Most actually.) I do lessons over skype and can help you out if you're interested in checking it out.

It's totally possible to have the clouds part and much improvement happen fast!

You seem to be focused on the numbers. Drums are a musical instrument. Just because your numbers aren't getting any higher, doesn't mean that you can't play music well.

I have heard of hitting walls, but after 5 years of playing and practicing, I think this instrument just isn't for me. My double bass has not progressed in the least, after 5 years, my feet still wear out after 3 minutes of playing, I literally cannot single past 150, and my doubles are stuck at 110. After several minutes, my feet just become noncompliant and shut off. And my basic hand rudiments never, ever get any faster. I think there are some people that are just not cut out for certain things, and I found mine. Anybody else in this boat?

You just need to change what and how you are doing things. Lessons with a good teacher should be the first thing you do before thinking about giving anything up.

We all hit plateaus in our musical journey. When you do hit one you have to change things up to get past it. Often if we've been doing something wrong, like having a bad habit in our technique or practice routine somewhere, it can only go so far before things will just stop. That's when you need to change things up.

Good luck and don't give up.

I've just played for like 2 years but I've notice that the times you make big progress are when you don't think about making any progress (Sounds weird right)?

For example my double stroke was very bad so I worked on it for weeks but didn't felt any progress, then I thought "screw this" and strated to work on other stuff. then after a week I tried the double stroke again and then it just felt amazing.

Cool. Go try something else. Take a break for a while. Shove the drums away in a closet and go a different direction if you want to. If you get the urge to try again later then,good. Or maybe try hand drums -djembe and conga or something.But if not, just move on. You're free.

How many styles of music have learnt?, im working on assumption that you want to play metal (double bass). I dont play metal, i have no idea how those guys get so fast. I do know that most of them cant groove for toffee and speed has little to do with most music styles apart from metal.

I am not very fast, singles sit around 190, doubles 220 open, 240 closed. Paradiddle rudiments around 160. Ive been playing for 10years and practice at least five days a week. I have periods of non practice etc. Im not a fast a drummer, i never will be, i do work at it, i would like to be but im not gonna let that one thing im not good at stop me playing drums.

How old are you? tastes change as you grow up, i was into mettalica when i was 14, i havent listened to mettalica in 15 years, things change. Grow as a musician dont let the numbers hold you back.

Sorry, not to take it off topic, but can someone explain to me what the difference is between "open" and "closed" double rolls?

Also, when reporting the roll speed, (singles, doubles, whatever), it is either one beat per quarter note for singles, and one hand stroke (two stick bounces) per quarter note for doubles, right?

I'm 26, I don't want to play metal, I just want to have double bass in my quiver of skills. I just have days that seem hopeless, like everyone I'm sure.

Don't feel bad. I'm 20. I've been playing for 15 years. I've seen kids on youtube who have played for a year or less and are tons better than I am. It can be discouraging at times, but I also find it to be motivating when I see these kind of things. I'm all self taught. I know that's my problem. If I had a teacher I knew that I would be a lot better. But I can't afford lessons. I don't know how to do any of the rudiments but i can learn most stuff just by listening to it.

take a break fella and stop beating yourself up. Runners have an enemy and that is a stopwatch...............your numbers are your stopwatch, get rid and enjoy when you come back with a burnin desire in your gut.

Al

I'm 26, I don't want to play metal, I just want to have double bass in my quiver of skills. I just have days that seem hopeless, like everyone I'm sure.

Well, that hardly seems like a reason to quit, now does it? If you can't do double bass, then don't play in musical situations that require it. Focus on what you are good at.

im only saying this to prove a point, but i have NEVER cared about what you are having a problem with... just because you are, doesnt mean you should give up the instrument...

drums have the luxury of being able to be whatever you make them. be loud. be quiet. be yourself. so you cant play double bass consistently... try a single pedal for a while.

Fair play, just focus on what your good at mate, i have to do the same to be honest. I would love to play loads of stuff, i try, i fail. I am what i am. If you have good timing, and play musically as im sure you do, its fine. Double strokes are a bitch, took at least 4 years to get mine going good, i still cant use them how i want on drum set.

I have days when it pisses me off, dont give up mate. Chill with it. If you dont want to play metal dont bother with the double bass if it does your nut in. Its pretty reduntant in reality if your not playing metal. Time is better spent on other things.

Back