Barefoot? Or with Shoes? how do you play?

I used to always play barefoot, I find I am far more precise with my bass drum when im playing with shoes, what about everyone else? pros and cons of each?

When I first started playing, I would play in moccasin-style house slippers (just plain ol' Totes brand). So, I actually used those slippers at every gig for about the first 7-8 years of my playing. Then I switched over to shoes for some reason and I liked it (I probably forgot to bring my slippers one time or something). The shoes I was wearing at that time were FILA brand basketball shoes (hey, I was trying to be cool).

Then one day I switched to these Sketchers shoes:

http://www.skechers.com/style/4296/work-scholars-harvard/bwxv

I switched to this style because my goal was to get shoes that were a bit more mature-looking. At the time, I wasn't considering how they would affect my playing. But to my surprise, it wasn't a problem at all. There was a short adjustment period, but even then it wasn't much of a problem. And the slightly extra stiffness of these shoes as compared to those basketball shoes seemed to help my pedal-playing somehow (I think it made my feet feel more invincible). But y'know, I would expect to play better in something more flexible and in something with a curve to accommodate the natural rocking motion of my feet. Yet somehow these seem to let me play the way I want.

I even experimented playing barefoot and in just socks, but I didn't like it. I think I prefer the protection of shoes.

However, I have considered trying to find shoes that are generally considered to be excellent for drummers! So, I hope to see some of those shoes mentioned here as well as how to get them!

last summer i started to play mostly barefoot or in socks. since then it always feels strange playing with shoes so i dont do it anymore

Right now I've only ever played at my house so I do it barefoot but I'm looking into taking a lesson so I'm assuming I'm going to be wearing shoes then...I'll have to invest in some non-hightop shoes to give my ankles some move room. I've tried playing in shoes and I hate it.

Converse_all-stars.jpg

i used to play barefoot all the time, but eventually i gave up because a lot of the stages we were playing on were covered with evil pointy things that could get embedded in your foot like pieces of guitar strings, screws, glass, and so on. i still play barefoot at home sometimes though. i like being able to feel where i am on the pedal.

It depends on the pedal for me... i prefer barefoot over shoes. My acoustic set has a DW3000 double and bare feet is great. On my E kit I have a single chain DW5000 and I need to wear shoes, kinda weird I guess.

With shoes I feel like I can stomp it out but bare feet give me a little more control and finesse. I like the question because I've only seen one drummer I like playing barefoot, everyone else seams to wear shoes?

I play with shoes on most of the time. I always have them tied super tight. I've found Chuck Taylors to work the best but i'm not a big fan of them because I have a wide foot. I tried playing bare foot once but decided it wasn't a good idea when my foot slipped and slammed in the chain. It didn't feel very good.

I do enjoy playing barefoot, but after getting the skin on a toe ripped off by the pedal chain, and considering the amount of woodchips my rimshots produce (those hickory splinters are extremely painful), I prefer to play in shoes.

I use Converse Chuck Taylor High Tops when playing live, and Adidas Good Year for practice and rehearsals. Works very well.

i used to only play barefoot, but it started to tear at the bottoms of my feet... i like adidas sambas for everything.. drums, indoor soccer, longboarding, job interviews, weddings...

Whatever is on my feet, that's what I play in. Over the years I've played in Chucks high-tops, Vans, Doc's, Army GP's, running sneakers, leather dress shoes, barefoot and a few others, I've no doubt forgotten about.

I prefer thinner soled shoes like Chucks or Vans, but have never limited myself into "only" being able to play in this or that.

The only limitation I put on myself is, no flip flops.....a bona fide nightmare!! :)

Either socks when it's warm outside (I wear socks year round). A pair of old leather sandals that I wash my car in and wear around the house (surprisingly they're very comfortable). Or old, beat up, low top Chuck Taylor's (where the tread on the soles are hardened and worn flat). I can't stand playing in new Chucks though, there's way too much grip in my opinion.

I used to know a guy that used wrestling shoes, but I personally just take my shoes off and play in my socks. Barefoot would work too, but I don't like black feet when I'm done lol!

Either socks when it's warm outside (I wear socks year round). A pair of old leather sandals that I wash my car in and wear around the house (surprisingly they're very comfortable).

Hey Stoney......PLEEEEAAAAASE tell me you don't wear your socks AND your leather sandals at the same time?!?!?!?!

How very European of you. :)

If I have shoes on I'll play with shoes. If I do not have shoes on, I'll play with my feet.

It doesn't make a difference to me. I think that all this "foot wear affects your playing" is all bullocks, unless you're wearing like iron toed boots or something I guess haha

thinner sole shoes like vans etc...but pridgen kills it in just socks so...yeah....

Back