Recommend me a kit! (criteria)

Maybe virgin bass drums arent such a big deal, if it meant a better sound. Still dont know about the 22/20 inch bass though, anyone have much experience playing with 20s in different styles/bands/venues?
Actually virgin bass drums are a big deal. I think you will find that most people prefer them. So much easier to set your toms up where you want them. The nice thing about the Saturn bass drum mount is that if you do end up buying a Saturn with one, you can take it off the bass and there are no holes to fix, cover, or fill. The mount does not penetrate the shell in any way.

This one is for sale right now. Amazing deal, and great color for the stage. Even has the black hardware, which is a premium. Have a look.
https://www.drummersuperstore.com/M...parkle_with_Black_Hardware_p/sw428ubn(il).htm

Actually virgin bass drums are a big deal. I think you will find that most people prefer them. So much easier to set your toms up where you want them. The nice thing about the Saturn bass drum mount is that if you do end up buying a Saturn with one, you can take it off the bass and there are no holes to fix, cover, or fill. The mount does not penetrate the shell in any way.

This one is for sale right now. Amazing deal, and great color for the stage. Even has the black hardware, which is a premium. Have a look.
https://www.drummersuperstore.com/M...parkle_with_Black_Hardware_p/sw428ubn(il).htm

Yeah the Saturn bass mount seems to be a smart idea. That listing is weird though, says its a 4 piece in the title, but in the description it says it comes with a snare as well. It would be great, if it had a 14 instead of the 16 floor.

I wish this kit came in my sizes!
https://www.drummersuperstore.com/Mapex_Saturn_Root_Beer_Burst_p/sw525s(tx).htm

Edit - Liking the look of this one...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170725420076?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Honestly the money needed to buy a saturn 5 piece kit new you could find a top of the line model for way less used. You do need to take your time to find the right drums but there out there. I just spent 800.00 on 4 drums that are superior to saturns in every way. The drums are in good condition cosmeticly and structurely and will maintain good value throughtout time as long as their maintained. So I saved hundreds of dollars buying used and I got top of the line shells. Research and shop around I'll guess you'll find a quality high line kit for alot less than 1,500.00 to 2 grand for mid line shells. Go for the best! Doc

Honestly the money needed to buy a saturn 5 piece kit new you could find a top of the line model for way less used. You do need to take your time to find the right drums but there out there. I just spent 800.00 on 4 drums that are superior to saturns in every way. The drums are in good condition cosmeticly and structurely and will maintain good value throughtout time as long as their maintained. So I saved hundreds of dollars buying used and I got top of the line shells. Research and shop around I'll guess you'll find a quality high line kit for alot less than 1,500.00 to 2 grand for mid line shells. Go for the best! Doc

Yeah definately, just not as many options in Australia as the States. What kit did you get?

Premier Signia 5ply maple very thin shells recommended by the drummers on this forum. I was looking for Pearl MMX 4ply maple. I've learned through the years that thin shells are the best for bottom end, open sound, volumn and overall tuning abilities. If you can ship in drums my Recording Customs are on Ebay. So I bought quality and are selling quality, the differences are maple & birch and both have fantastic tone. I search and listen to others who have owned and played the high end kits. At this stage of my life I'm looking to experience the best drums made not mid-line models that don't hold value. Doc

Premier Signia 5ply maple very thin shells recommended by the drummers on this forum. I was looking for Pearl MMX 4ply maple. I've learned through the years that thin shells are the best for bottom end, open sound, volumn and overall tuning abilities. If you can ship in drums my Recording Customs are on Ebay. So I bought quality and are selling quality, the differences are maple & birch and both have fantastic tone. I search and listen to others who have owned and played the high end kits. At this stage of my life I'm looking to experience the best drums made not mid-line models that don't hold value. Doc

I thought Saturns were high end?

You're right, gutsy. Saturns are by all means high-end kits. Quality woods, quality hardware, quality finishes, etc.

Just to throw another option on the table, I'd say you look for Pearl Masters MCX. Awesome drums too. (just horrible looking tom arms).

Cheers!

I thought Orions were Mapex Company's high end line, and Saturns were mid-line. Doc

The Saturn and Orion are the high end lines. The Meridians are the mid line. Saturns are killer drums. Worksmanship on them is excellent. And they sound freakin awesome.

Both are great kits for the money. Saturns have more options as far as finishes and configurations. For rock, its hard to beat the Saturns. The walnut really gives them a lot of low end oomph, they sound very big. Wide tuning range. Comes down to the sound you prefer. Some prefer the more traditional sound of a maple shell. A little punchier and brighter.

Cant go wrong really. I went with a Saturn and I'm happy.

Both are great kits for the money. Saturns have more options as far as finishes and configurations. For rock, its hard to beat the Saturns. The walnut really gives them a lot of low end oomph, they sound very big. Wide tuning range. Comes down to the sound you prefer. Some prefer the more traditional sound of a maple shell. A little punchier and brighter.

Cant go wrong really. I went with a Saturn and I'm happy.

I guess maple would probably suit me a little more. But I'd really like to compare side by side. Have you ever tuned them for a more 'jazz' setting? Got them to 'sing' a little?

Both drums will sing, they're top of the line, high-quality, proffesional-sounding drums. You can't fairly say that one is "better" than the other. it's just mere opinion.

Ask Sticks and he'll say Saturns.. Ask Gruntersdad and he'll say Gretsch.. And that will happen with almost any drummer.

They're both great quality kits, with very different features.. you just have to choose what you like:

Renowns are Maple, Saturns are Maple-Walnut
Renows feature diecast hoops, Saturns are 2.3mm triple flanged
Gretsch uses 5-lug rack toms, Mapex uses 6.
Bearing edges are different: 30º rounded on Gretsch (I think) and double 45º on Mapex (I think).
Finishes are very different too.
Brand name and recognition may be important to some.. Gretsch wins there..
Mapex hardware is outstanding, Gretsch doesn't make their own hw..

I don't know man..

If it were me... I don't know.. If the price and the sizes are the same, think I'd go with the Gretsch because I like diecasts and their looks better.. But I'd also be very happy with Saturns.

Cheers.

saturn and renown isn't worth comparing. they're both high end kits

orions are also high end kits, but they've also added blasters and one more high end kit to their line. basically just different finishes and wood combinations.

saturns are beasts though!
Velvetone-maple/walnut/maple
Blaster-maple with walnut reinforcing rings
Orion-all maple
Saturn-maple/walnut
These are all top of the line kits that all have a very unique sound from one another.

But don't just take our word. Renowns and Saturns sound way different. Both great kits but I would not buy a renown because it is not the sound I like. You need to choose. :)

Cool, thanks! All the info is really helpful - I would go somewhere and compare if I could but not really an option where I am. Even Allans Music/Billy Hydes in Brisbane doesn't have that great a selection of kits. Hard to compare sound when all you're going off is (generally) average youtube demo's (especially GreenbrierPercussion - they have a way of making almost every kit sound rubbish). To be honest, I don't know enough about bearing edges/hoops etc to know which I prefer, so I'll need to do some more research.

For you its ALL about the sound you like!! If you don't know about the details you could learn that stuff as time goes on but the bottom line is what sound do you like??? Thats your kit, then pick a configuration and stands and colors and all that other good stuff.
Its the Sound that counts!!!!! Doc

Back