I'm about to give up on my snare

SergiuM

I just got new heads (Vintage Emperor+ Ambassador Hazy) for my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau snare. I've been messing around with it for about 6 hours trying to get a DECENT sound out of it. It either buzzes like crazy when struck or i eliminate the buzz and get absolutely no sensitivity. I've tried tons of head combinations, cranked the snare head really tight, loosened the top head, and everything in between it seems. Nothing, it all sounds terrible.

I'm really thinking about buying myself a new snare. Is there anything else i can try? Is there any hope for this snare?

PS- I'm fairly new to drum tuning but i looked into a decent amount of sources and tried the tuning techniques described, with no success.

To get an awesome snare sound the bottom should be cranked, I'm talking almost 3 full turns from finger tight. Then tune top to whatever pitch you want.

I learned this method off of a video and haven't had a bad sounding snare yet. Use your own judgement on the bottom head sometimes I only go 2.5 turns. Hope this helps you out, let me know.

Try experimenting with tuning more give more difference between the top and bottom head, I find (using a Drumdial) about 90 on the top head and 80 on the reso to work on most snares or at least a good start for my tastes. also try different snare attachment methods like thinner cord or grosgrain strap or mylar strap. then check your wires, getting better quality wire can make a huge difference. also check your hoops for being flat and round and shell as well, any of it gets out of wack and it can sound awful.

Are you sure that you have your snare wires on correctly and not up side down?

After checking on this:

You might want to try removing some of the center snare wires leaving 6 on each side, equally.

Like this: It will help with the "buzz" and get some more distinguishable shell tone to come through.

Attachments

• equilizer.jpg
    equilizer.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 585
Are you basing your judgement on other drums (good or bad) you have actually played and heard in person? Or are you trying to achieve a sound you heard on a recording? They are VERY different.

You could always take it into a drum shop and ask if they can tune it for you.
This is a great idea. It could help you gain some perspective and give you many other snare drums to compare tunings with. I have two snares and at least one of them is sounding pretty good at any given time. When I'm struggling with one, I can usually tune it to the other and go from there.

A lot of times what I find, at least for how I like snares to sound, is that it's very possible to go too tight on the snare side head. It's almost instinctive with me to just start cranking that head thinking it'll solve everything, but if often just makes it worse. So don't just crank it and play only with the top head. Try backing off on the bottom and retrying the batter again.

Good luck.

I am under the impression that snare side head is usually tuned higher per all the snare tuning info I have read an watched. Obviously up to the user but thought I might point that out....

I occasionally take a drum to my teacher to go over its tuning. Hvent brought a bass drum to a lesson, yet...

From the way it sounds your snare remind me of the yamaha steel snare I use to have that came with my kit. I seriously tried Remo Ambassador, Evans G1, and Aqurian power dot I changed the snares etc etc you name it I did it nothing worked wether the thing was cranked or not. I seriously even took it to Donn Bennets studio in the Seattle area and remind you thats were you go when your having issues with all kinds of drumming issues. So what I did I broke down and purchased a new snare. Steve Jordan signature......... I know this really dosent help but every now again us drummers come across that one drum that for some reason no matter what you do you just cant seem to get the sound you want out of that drum. Just sucks its your main drum..

Any chance that you can upload a vid or sound clip of the way it sounds, that would def help........

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the snares are installed correctly, the part where they're welded/soldered is facing towards the head. My snare-side head is already really tight, i guess ill try loosening it up a bit and start from zero again. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

So i messed with the tuning some more, and it sounds decent. But i have to tune it up too high for my tastes, and the rimshots sound pretty bad. I guess the deeper sound im looking for isn't really possible with this snare

You have the Emperor on the batter side? That's a two-ply head, right? I find that two ply batter heads with a wood snare sounds lifeless. I just put one on my 13" Mapleworks snare (Emporer) and it sounded very unremarkable. Maybe try a one ply head on top, but it sounds like you already tried that.
I find wood snares don't have the pop of a metal, but that could just be me.

Oddly I had a similar problem on my Sonor snare and fixed it my tuning the bottom head lower than the top, as opposed to tighter as suggested earlier in the thread. So I imagine it varies from drum to drum and you just have to experiment a bit more.

What's your environement? Do you play in a room? In a basement? What the acoustic characteristic of the place you're playing the snare?

These elements also play a role in the perception of the sound of a drum. :)

I doubt seriously that a new drum is needed, unless you are looking for an excuse for a new drum! You need to just step back and regroup.

First of all, get a pencil and paper and actually write down what sound you are trying to achieve. Yes, write it out! It forces you to focus your thoughts on what you really want.Too many people spend good money trying to obtain a "phantom sound" that they themselves can't even describe. Make a detailed list and describe what you want.

Consider your current drum. . . is it metal? Wood? Do you have the right drum shell for what you want? Example: I recently bought a late 70's Acrolite. I wanted a concert snare drum sound, so I purposely selected a metal shell, but in aluminum, because it tends to have a crisp but dry sound. I avoided stainless steel because they ring to much for the sound that I wanted. Listen to different shells.Hammered shells will be dryer than smooth, metal brighter than most woods. Determine if what you have is going to give the sound you described?

Next, match the head for sound that you want, and how you play If you play heavy, look for that kind of head. In my example, I selected an Evans Genera dry to compliment my dry shell. It is single ply, 10 mil.with a sound control ring to help eliminate too much ring. I finger tightened the lugs, then tuned up slow at 180 degree turns (half turn), checking tuning after every complete round of tightening. The drum should make the same pitched tone at each lug. Ddn't be in a hurry! Recheck your written list to see if this is that direction you want to head. always check against your sound list! After once around the lugs, I go only 1/4 turn at a time as I tune up.

Take off the bottom head and start over, following the same procedure as the top head, going slow. As a rule, the snare side head should be about a minor/major third higher in pitch than the batter.Use a stick to test at each lug. A 3 mil. clear head is good for most drums. Stop and recheck progress so far. If you are far from what you wanted, recheck your head selection and tightness.

Install snares The snare should be matched to produce the sound you want. I wanted dry and articulate, so I selected Puresound concert 16 strand. If you want a dry sound, go with less strands. For a wetter, more buzzy sound, add to the snare strand count. Make sure that the snares are evenly spaced, and have even tension from side to side. stop and reread your sound description. Are you on track? If not, write down what seems to be the problem, then rethink whether you selected the right combo of parts. Before you spend money, get advice, which you have just done.

You must stay focused on what you are trying to attain. Most guys who are unhappy with their sound are that way because they are always trying to sound like something else, and that changes all of the time, like the Sahara sand dunes! If you cannot consistently describe what you want, you will never attain it. Quit listening to everyone elses sound. Focus on your sound!

If you cannot consistently describe what you want, you will never attain it. Quit listening to everyone elses sound. Focus on your sound!

The general sound i want is a nice low pitched, so called "classic rock" style sound. I do not have an exact sound i'm looking for, just a general area, so i don't think the problem is my indecisiveness. I would love to have a new snare, although I'm still trying to work with my current snare so i don't have to spend the money. But if i have to, i definitely will.

I doubt seriously that a new drum is needed, unless you are looking for an excuse for a new drum! You need to just step back and regroup.

First of all, get a pencil and paper and actually write down what sound you are trying to achieve. Yes, write it out! It forces you to focus your thoughts on what you really want.Too many people spend good money trying to obtain a "phantom sound" that they themselves can't even describe. Make a detailed list and describe what you want.

Consider your current drum. . . is it metal? Wood? Do you have the right drum shell for what you want? Example: I recently bought a late 70's Acrolite. I wanted a concert snare drum sound, so I purposely selected a metal shell, but in aluminum, because it tends to have a crisp but dry sound. I avoided stainless steel because they ring to much for the sound that I wanted. Listen to different shells.Hammered shells will be dryer than smooth, metal brighter than most woods. Determine if what you have is going to give the sound you described?

Next, match the head for sound that you want, and how you play If you play heavy, look for that kind of head. In my example, I selected an Evans Genera dry to compliment my dry shell. It is single ply, 10 mil.with a sound control ring to help eliminate too much ring. I finger tightened the lugs, then tuned up slow at 180 degree turns (half turn), checking tuning after every complete round of tightening. The drum should make the same pitched tone at each lug. Ddn't be in a hurry! Recheck your written list to see if this is that direction you want to head. always check against your sound list! After once around the lugs, I go only 1/4 turn at a time as I tune up.

Take off the bottom head and start over, following the same procedure as the top head, going slow. As a rule, the snare side head should be about a minor/major third higher in pitch than the batter.Use a stick to test at each lug. A 3 mil. clear head is good for most drums. Stop and recheck progress so far. If you are far from what you wanted, recheck your head selection and tightness.

Install snares The snare should be matched to produce the sound you want. I wanted dry and articulate, so I selected Puresound concert 16 strand. If you want a dry sound, go with less strands. For a wetter, more buzzy sound, add to the snare strand count. Make sure that the snares are evenly spaced, and have even tension from side to side. stop and reread your sound description. Are you on track? If not, write down what seems to be the problem, then rethink whether you selected the right combo of parts. Before you spend money, get advice, which you have just done.

You must stay focused on what you are trying to attain. Most guys who are unhappy with their sound are that way because they are always trying to sound like something else, and that changes all of the time, like the Sahara sand dunes! If you cannot consistently describe what you want, you will never attain it. Quit listening to everyone elses sound. Focus on your sound!

That's some good advice. I'm taking mental notes. I did pretty much what you described with my old aluminum Gretsch snare drum. I also had a problem with the ringy sound when I tightened the batter high. I always used a coated Ambassador with a Remo ring. I have a good clear Diplomat with decent snare wires on the reso side. Basically just replacing the Ambassador with an Evans HD Genera Dry (with the holes) solved my problem and that drum has never sounded better. I tightened the snare side just a bit more and made the batter side just a little looser than the reso side. My PDP Ace was a different story, I had to loosen the snare wires a bit to get the best tone from it. I want to see how it sounds with an HD Dry on it too. I bet it will sound even better with one of those heads.

I know it's frowned upon by a few but have you tried a piece of duct tape or moongel?

Back