Are we too hard on people around here?

I can see where some people feel there is a certain clique here...

I honestly can't. It's not the first time I've heard of this place being called cliquey, but I'll never understand where it comes from. Apart from one obvious trouble maker (after a solid 144,396 chances and still not getting the fact that he was the problem...not the wider forum), I have never seen anyone who really wanted to be included told they weren't welcome by any of these so called "cliques."
Once upon a time I didn't know anyone here either, but I showed up one day, included myself (timidly at first, like everyone does) and found a whole host of people willing to help, discuss, bounce ideas off/to and generally go out of their way to be inclusive.

Nup, sorry.....I don't get it. I guess that just makes me one of those FIGJAM members with a God complex then? :)

From Jules: It's not the first time I've heard of this place being called cliquey, but I'll never understand where it comes from.

We call each other by name, we have inside jokes, milk, seatbelts... sometimes re-diculous things get spelled weird, then you have the hoity toity titles, there's notions of mysterious meanings behind cryptic phrases (going to the coast)...We have the mighty PEWFLLAC or however it's spelled, some members names are anagrams for past screen names...I'm sure there are other things long timers take for granted that newer members don't feel included in.

Hey benefits of longtime membership. You like it? You want in on our little clique? Post away! You're in if you act like you're in. I can't wait to finally meet some of my new friends in London.

Take Anthony for example. He was in on day one. He has stuff to say.

Lurkers who don't feel included, I don't know what to say. The waters fine, come on in. We generally don't bite. (nothing's perfect) (Except Mapex Saturn lol)

Last edited:
&#^$ I'm good. Just ask me. FIGJAM. Used to describe sports stars the World over.

PEWFLADACC - Pagan, Earth-Worshipping, Free-Loving, Anarchist Drummers' Chess Club.

Sorry Dunc, you ain't good this time. What does the 2nd A stand for? You left that little detail out, you boneheaded poopiepoker.

Yea, the stupid thing sounds right. The dyslexia thing is just a cop out. What a loser!

:)

I'm reporting you, you dyslexic, stupid, dabbler of even stupider electronic musical devices.

Oh how I love this place.

I feel like an outsider again.

Well...

one-does-not-simply-mask-their-body-odor-with-a-hygene-product.jpg

... now that's the "cartoon bit" is dealt with, lol, let's talk about the "clique" factor...

I agree with Jules, there's no clique here...

... you join the forum and you discuss topics, share opinions, interact with other members, it's what you make of this forum that will happen, you either participate a lot or you you don't, there's no direct end results as being part of any "clique" here on DW.

However, the more participation a member gets, the more his/her posting account is high and therefore more likely to have his/her posts read by other forum members and generally speaking, generating more replies to his/her input on the forum, which seems logical to me.

Now, I'm not denying that certain affinity or indeed friendship develop between members here, but it's only a refection of the real life outside an internet forum, in our day to day life we develop affinities and friendships with the people we meet and interact with, that's a common ground established all over the world, we always gonna be someone's buddies and someone's enemy, such is life, that's not a "clique", just a reality fact.

We decide how much and how deep we want to be involved in an internet forum, no one's forcing anyone, it's up to each individual.

And once you've develop certain affinity with some members, you're more likely to read their threads/posts, it's a natural way to behave I think.

As for FIGJAM...

Fig%20jam%20(Baraka).jpg

It seems obvious what it mean to me :)

And finally, on the subject of some newbie threads, I did a cartoon a little while back, I think it's self explanatory...

attachment.php

So I'm shopping for another kit, and this guy has a nice set of Mapex Saturns he wants to move......should I get them? I play alot of polkas and Hawaiian bar mitzvahs.

Not exactly true, my dear. If I remember correctly you were being curmudgeonly and refused to break the 10K mark. Starting over as an alter-ego does not count and you, therefore, lost your clique status. We are a cruel bunch!

Yes you lot are cruel ... that's why I'm here.

Many times I feel like a thread killer. Wonder how many threads where I'm the last one who posted.

Tell me about it. There are a multitude of dead threads where my post was the last. I boiled it down to:

1) My post covered the subject so thoroughly that there was nothing left to say

2) My post was boring and people not only gave up on it, they gave up on the thread

3) That I have virtual BO (unlike mmulcahy's)

4) An argument broke out on another thread and everyone piled on ... as usually happens - let's talk about positive thinking ...

5) Rebellion against me because I'm so snobbish and would never dream to engaging a new member

No you did not!!! both alter-ego of your persona never reached the 10K post mark... why?

To make me feel completely stupid in front of thousand members here at DW...

Oh pish posh! I'm just taking my time to get to the 10k mark, that all. Surely a sophisticated Continental European gentleman would understand that one cannot hurry a lady!

So I'm shopping for another kit, and this guy has a nice set of Mapex Saturns he wants to move......should I get them? I play alot of polkas and Hawaiian bar mitzvahs.

Yes, get the Mapex Saturn... and ditch the polkas and Hawaiian bar mitzvahs :)

Since you're a lefty, make sure you set up the kit so we can see the badges facing forward...

... and that's a lot and not alot...

Oh pish posh! I'm just taking my time to get to the 10k mark, that all. Surely a sophisticated Continental European gentleman would understand that one cannot hurry a lady!

Sure Polly, take all the time you need, as long as you GET to the 10k post :)

I must say that Pollyanna makes a lot of sense! Nice roach too.

Henri, I'll talk to Polly and see if she'll try to take time out from her busy schedule to reach the 10k posts mark. Perhaps she'll be able to write the posts needed by taking a few days off work without pay ... I'm sure her 17 starving children won't mind missing a few meals for such a worthy cause :)

The side of Saturn we never knew but always suspected was the case ...

Attachments

• mapexsaturn.jpg
    mapexsaturn.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,358
I pulled my conastoga wagon over some years ago to reply to a post making it my first. However, I made damned sure I was right before I answered so as not to get the new guy scoff. since then I have spoken my opinion many times, maybe too often. I have received a few PM's in the past about about my sarcasm and seeming to be rude but trust me that was never the case. I made one intentional rude comment to a DW Pro drummer once and immediately felt like an arse about it and apologized for the remark. I have seen many people use the word clique but in my opinion, unfounded. any new person to a group, will stand off a bit and that may seem like the rest of us are clique, but I don't see that. Most of the "bad" threads are from those who obviously haven't read the rules, or don't care too or have posted in the wrong section and don't understand why there thread is moved or why it received no responses. all one has to do is look at the number of members and the number of clicks on the Rules section. With four mods there is a good chance that one of us is going to notice things and comment, edit, and delete when appropriate. all in all I feel that this is a pretty docile place. the amount of info contained on these pages is huge. I would love to print them all into a book.All I can say is thanks for allowing me to be here

Anyone who has experience with forums knows that it takes time to become assimmilated into a group of members that have been communicating together for years. I am a relative newcomer compared to many longtimers on DW, so I don't expect to be treated as one of the gang, so to speak. Nor do I understand inside jokes and the history of the members before I joined. If that's interpreted as a clique, so be it. But it's not something where specific people are excluded from participating.

The side of Saturn we never knew but always suspected was the case ...

You got me with this. I had just been reading the spin-off thread about the ongoing Mapex saga, when I clicked, saw this, and immediately spit my root beer out choking with laughter.

Anyone who has experience with forums knows that it takes time to become assimmilated into a group of members .

Yes, Resistance is Futile.

And will somebody turn this damn ship around so the Mapex badge is showing! What? You didn't know that The Borg play Mapex Saturns? Silly Humans.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 254
Back