Marco Minnemann

OK...Hand Cannot Erase

Opinions?

OK...Hand Cannot Erase

Opinions?

I assume you're talking about the title track as the album isn't out yet.

I really like the song. I was looking forward to it after hearing a snippet of it from the videos about the album recording on youtube.

Marco makes the 9/4 drum part feel natural and appropriate for what is a pop song, so well done to him on that.

I cannot say enough good things about Marco Minnemann. I was in high school when I got his Life in LA and Extreme Interdependence DVDs and I nearly wore them out. I had never seen or heard anyone with such an ability to navigate time signatures and play equally with all limbs. His coordination is out of this world.

Truthfully, I loved all of his early stuff. The earliest I've heard is his Illegal Aliens albums and his solo work, like Comfortably Homeless. I wasn't very familiar with computerized music at the time (or at least nothing past Radiohead), so hearing his music was like opening up pandora's box. I don't listen to it as much these days, but when I do I always remember how much I enjoy it. In fact...I might just go ahead and listen to it now... :)

First heard of him in Necrophagist which i LOVED. but when he had a clinic with Rabb that was a very cool and eye opening experience for me.

the guy is not human!

I got to meet Marco after the Aristocrats show in Atlanta Friday night. Really cool, humble, down to earth guy. The show was amazing and inspirational. However, my face somehow does not say "excited", but that's normal. Also, unfortunately, you can see what happens when more that one person is taking pictures at once...
100_5382small.jpg

Posts like this just make me feel bad about myself. If they're meant to be inspirational, I'm not getting it.

Am I missing something?

He sure is! One of my faves. Check out his trio The Aristocrats!

I dont understand the point of the stats. He isnt a car, we dont need dyno sheets. What is it trying to determine/say/accomplish?

Pietro, you wanna be impressed? Do one of these reaction/stats videos for Flo Mounier, John Longstreth, or both.

Stats for something that is subjective? I don't think the dyno sheets accomplish anything except to waste people's time. Marco is a good drummer with lots of chops. But his playing style occupies a fairly narrow realm of the music world. I put a lot more value on someone's ability to be versatile which allows a player to draw from many different genres. It makes for much more interesting playing. I don't find his playing interesting or inspriational. Just my opinion, which isn't worth anything to anyone but me.

Posts like this just make me feel bad about myself. If they're meant to be inspirational, I'm not getting it.

Am I missing something?
No, you’re not missing a thing.

His left foot pattern between hihat and slave kick is impressive. A lot of compositional elements. Fitting that kind of playing into a musical situation might be possible but less applicable to the average gig out there. Not much showing control of dynamics, but the drums sound very clean and compressed.

I dont understand the point of the stats. He isnt a car, we dont need dyno sheets. What is it trying to determine/say/accomplish?

Pietro, you wanna be impressed? Do one of these reaction/stats videos for Flo Mounier, John Longstreth, or both.
Stats are a way to let people who don't know about drums to have a glimpse on what's going on.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out!

Stats for something that is subjective? I don't think the dyno sheets accomplish anything except to waste people's time. Marco is a good drummer with lots of chops. But his playing style occupies a fairly narrow realm of the music world. I put a lot more value on someone's ability to be versatile which allows a player to draw from many different genres. It makes for much more interesting playing. I don't find his playing interesting or inspriational. Just my opinion, which isn't worth anything to anyone but me.

I don't put the same value that you do on versatility as far as genres, but the solo isn't very interesting to me either. He's an amazing drummer but I don't care for all the ostinato. Many great drummers do this, but I don't enjoy listening to it. It seems to inherently promote a lot of other, almost drum corps sounding things which don't do much for me either.

On a side note, I found this in my dictionary:

versatile - adj
1 : embracing a variety of subjects, fields, or skills
2 : (in music) Marco Minnemann

Last edited:
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Some nice shots of his drums also, and a bit of drumming at the end.

Some of the best drumming on a guitar I have ever seen...

Jon Gomm "Ghost In You"
Tommy Emanuelle(take your pick!)
Monte Montgomery "When Will I" - look at the Austin City Limits version.
Damien Rice "Insane" from the KCRW with just himself and Lisa performing(he is solo on the referenced song).

With the right agility of mind, there is nothing lost when applying drumming skills to another instrument!

Back