Diy Acoustic wall panels

customdrum

decided to go the diy route on acoustic wall panels, got some 3" rockwool roxul insulation today and went to town making some wall panels. I know they would probably work better if i had them 2-3" off the wall but for now there working pretty good so far.

I figure that the bamboo fencing on the walls can help more than they hurt to.
Only made 6 today got to male 6 more for upper corners and then ill make some 6" bass traps for the real corners.
cost me 75.00 for all material for the 6 panels- 18 x 47 x 3 panels so its a lot cheaper than that foam crap and looks better to me.
Used weed stop to cover the panel, then covered face with burlap

room is about 13x13 so i hope once i get 6 more up and some corner traps this room will sound much better and get rid of the echo flutter

Attachments

• panels 1.jpg
    panels 1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 446
  • panels 2.jpg
    panels 2.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 430
  • panels 3.jpg
    panels 3.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 425
  • panels 4.jpg
    panels 4.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 438
They will make a huge difference. I made mine using Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass. No need for a frame. 3 x 2" sheets, 2'x4'. Covered them with loudspeaker cloth.

Here's a blog entry I wrote about building them a few years ago:
http://chimprefuge.com/2011/01/29/diy-bass-trap/

Well they certainly look good. The bamboo and burlap look good together and much better than the black foam. The bottom line is surely whether they work or not but they have to do some good. Well done.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys, I would have used the oc 703 or the roxul 40 or 60 board but its just to expensive to make 12-18 panels from. these panels cost me 12.50 each so i def saved some money. The oc or roxul board that may work better but I think once i make some 6" traps for the corners and some more 3" for where the wall and ceiling meet it will sound much better. I can already tell a little difference with just the 6 panels but it def needs more, may tack some 2" strips on the rear of these to get them off the wall 2"

Oh yeah, once you get them all done you'll hear a big difference. I wasn't trying to knock your construction, I just wasn't sure if you were familiar with the rigid materials. I had a box of 12 OC703 sheets left over from my studio construction. The studio (350 sq ft) has four 6" deep DIY panels in the corners plus five commercial panels made by GIK (kind of like yours, with a frame but they include a 2" back space). I also have some Sonex foam panels on part of the ceiling.

I think these panels work way better than the foam materials. Certainly the bass absorption is much improved. I used the foam on the ceiling because it's just so much easier to install up there, a little adhesive and you're done. Hanging panels on the ceiling can be a chore. Walls are easy, Ook Hooks are your friends.

yeah i know u mean no harm jim fiore, your panels most likely working better than mine im sure lol.

Only reason i had to go with the roxul safe and sound is because I cant get oc 703 or the hard sheet fiber here without special ordering and i have to buy alot more than i wanted to.

I have the textured acoustic blown on ceiling in that room so the foam would be easier to put on ceiling but ill probably just leave it alone for now and see how it sounds, if its crappy later ill put some 4'x4' panels on the ceiling but i think the corner panels where wall and ceiling meet will work ok once up, we will see it will be alot of wall coverage for sure.

Back