And the Drums Oscar goes to....

aydee

Platinum Member
Another 'what if' thread.....:

There's an Oscar for drumming & you're nominated......

Lo & behold, your name is announced......

Who is the one person you would thank & why for making you the drummer you are?

( I know a lot of people play their part in our stories, but who was the single most powerful,influential force that make you the drummer you are )

P.S- Mine was a chance meeting/conversation with the legendary Mr. Roach

oh well there are a lot of people that i could thank, all my musical instrument playing friends, all my favourite musicians, my drum teacher, people like that. But if i had just ONE person to thank it would HAVE to be Bernhard Castiglioni because i've learned so much about drumming from this 'ere forum :)

First of all, I would like to thank the academy.......
why does everyone thank the academy first?
I never understood that, I would thank my parents first for giving me the opportunity to learn the drums.

I would Thank to:
1. My driving force: God.
2. My backbone: Family.
3. Carmine Appice.
4. Ian Paice.
5. Bill Ward.
6. John Bonham.
7. Bernhard Castiglioni, Nutha Jason, Dog Breath ~ Drummerworld.

Well...

I would thank Buddy Rich for appearing on the Tonight Show in the early 70's, and inspiring me to get an interest in drums.

And...I would agree with veggo32, and thank my parents for letting me put a set of drums in the basement, to begin my career(hobby) that I still enjoy to this day.

Oh, and of course...Mr. Neil Peart. For keeping me motivated, intrigued and challenged since 1979.

;-)

Last edited:
My dear old Dad who's not with us anymore. He's the one who convinced me to try drums instead of trombone (seriously) in 5th grade elementary school band back in 1981.

My dear old Dad who's not with us anymore. He's the one who convinced me to try drums instead of trombone (seriously) in 5th grade elementary school band back in 1981.

Wow!

Bitter sweet there, Shane.

Sorry to here about your dad, but it's fantastic that he gave you the push that's still with
you today.

btw...I graduated high school in ' 81, and had been playing the skins for about 5 years.

Play On! ;-)

1. Buddy Rich - For the initial interest.
2. Steve Smith - For being the biggest influence and being a nice guy when i finally met you.
3. My Parents - For putting up with all the racket.
4. My wife - For understanding this crazy passion.

and...........Music cuts me off as they go to commercial.

Hands down joey jordison. i dont think he is an amazing drummer but he kept me drumming and i took after his metal playing to not do blast beats all the time like most metal drummers i find. i like his overal playing

I would thank my sister, may she rest in peace, who, the last time she visited and saw me tap on everything, said, you need a set of drums. And then I would like to thank my inner spirit that told me to start again after being off for 32 years. And all of the little people, the 19, 544 people on this web site for their encouragement. Lionel Hampton, Buddy Rich , and Ringo

Last edited:
I'd like to thank my uber supportive parents, my uber supportive drum teacher (Kevin Soltis) and Niel Peart.

And all the other drummers I have ever listened to, even Travis Barker.

Actually, not Travis Barker, but all the rest.

I would like to thank my dad for fully supporting me, and actually pushing me to stop being lazy and actually practice more because he thinks I have a lot of potential. My brother for also supporting me in anyway he could. My drum teacher for teaching me at least half of the things that I know and all the drummers/musicians I played with that kept inspiring me. My church band group for giving me a chance and opportunity to play with them...the list goes on.

It's really hard for me to say just one...sorry. Haha

Besides the obvious - family, teachers, influences... I'd have to give huge props to my awesome extended circle of friends who are all musicians/drummers in their own respect. We all play with, feed off and grow with one another, and have been doing so for some time now. I truly beleive our little scene is something special and that there will be lots of sucess coming out of it in the years to come - some are already there. This is something that I'm so grateful and fortunate to be a part of.

Here's to friends!

Well, normally I would have a speech prepared but to name a very few:
I would like to thank:

Dvorjac
Mozart
Beethoven
Miles Davis
John Coltrain
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
John Mayall
Al Kooper's Blood, Sweat & Tears
Chicago
And for drums specifically:

Gene Krupa

Well, normally I would have a speech prepared but to name a very few:
I would like to thank:

Dvorjac
Mozart
Beethoven
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
John Mayall
Al Kooper's Blood, Sweat & Tears
Chicago
Yes
And for drums specifically:
Gene Krupa

After just one listen to Tony Williams, I changed my approach straight away. For inspiration, almost certainly, he is at the top for me. I should thank Billy Higgins too, for he was the first real jazz drummer I heard, and his playing made me want to get serious about jazz.

However, I think the person I should thank overall is my drum teacher, who started me off at aged 8, ripped into my hands. He really sorted my technique out, and actually turned me on to playing and understanding the requirements of jazz. He also stressed the importance of playing for the music. My approach to practicing, teaching, playing live, learning tunes and reading ALL comes from my 9 or so years with him.

I'd thank my wife, she got me into drumming by saying: If you want it, just buy a drumset and see if you like it. Well I did, and 3 years later we are married and she is still supporting me. She cooked diner for the whole band last thursday when we had a show (that was about 9 people), and she never complains. She's great. I love her :).

Oh thank you everyone, I really and truly appreciate this award. I didn't actually prepare a speech...(because my speechwriter and legal team had to do it so I don't get sued)

anyways,
parents
Neil Peart
Daniel Adair
Terrence Higgins
Matt Wagner
Reggie Jackson
Robb Gibson

Back