Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
My left side. I am quite happy with the right side after a 30 year break, but seeing Dom Famularo Thursday night he has inspired me to work on the left side. My first step was to commit to working on it. My second step was to order his book, The Weaker Side. Lets hope my efforts pay off.

Babe's in the crowd....

They always get me. I either get really nervous and play like crap... or I get super cocky and want to show off... and then I play like crap.

It's the truth.

Same weaknesses common to most of the posters on this thread but the one that bugs me the most is lack of imagination/creativity. For personal reasons I have not been able to play for a few months and last weekend was over at a buddies who bought some drums for his kid. When I sat down at the kit to play something it was kind of like "Huh..what do I play" and settled on a few of the same old tired grooves...just pathetic....

I'm sure there's a long list of weakness...but creativity is my #1 right now. That's why I'm getting back to the basics: Practice, practice, practice.

I'm attempting to do anything/everything to spark it. Watching other drummers, watching learning vids, practicing the basics, working on speed, jogging like Rocky, being on a strict protien diet, & wearing my lucky underoos. ;)

My biggest one is prollly the tension...
As soon as I have to play fast, i get to tense, and fail playing fast >.<
So I'm really practicing on that right now
And I also have to train alot of kordination.
I'm both left and right handed, wich means that I have no problem with using the left hand
But the problem is that im using it to much, sometimes i slip into using the left as lead wich makes my playing "wrong" on a righty drumkit. :p

weaknesses... :l

1. absolutely no left foot independence

2. i can keep time fine, but i just tend not to count O.O that's not normal right?

3. can't play any unusual (or rather, just not basic) time signatures

4. LACK OF IMAGINATION! :(

Babe's in the crowd....

They always get me. I either get really nervous and play like crap... or I get super cocky and want to show off... and then I play like crap.

It's the truth.

same here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one has trouble keeping time? That's a big weakness.

I think getting creative with fills is my big weakness. Whenever I learn something new, I get addicted to it. Too repetitive.

Also, I had to play so softly that I lost confidence in drumming.

Probably getting into the music and drowning out the other instruments, breaking sticks (often) from playing too hard, and hitting the rims.

CANT READ MUSIC =[

I need to learn badly, i can read basic-little intermediate music but not advanced stuff

my left hand. and definently when people are watching me i tend to mess up and get to tense and forget about all the complex stuff i can play when people arent watching me lol.

I have trouble remembering to count. When im in the ''moment'', the last thing I wanna do is count to myself. Sometimes this screws with my timing when improvising.

My fills are getting repetitive. I play with a four piece 98% of the time, kind of wishing i had an extra rack tom or something. BUT IT LOOKS SO UGLYYYYYY.

I used to have trouble with independence, but I don't think I do on a major level anymore.

I have trouble remembering to count. When im in the ''moment'', the last thing I wanna do is count to myself. Sometimes this screws with my timing when improvising.

My fills are getting repetitive. I play with a four piece 98% of the time, kind of wishing i had an extra rack tom or something. BUT IT LOOKS SO UGLYYYYYY.

I used to have trouble with independence, but I don't think I do on a major level anymore.

You need to feel the count...I had the same problem...so I memorized drum parts were ever i had trouble feeling the space...I was brought up in old school drum corps were we memorized everything, we weren't readers...so I was good at memorizing...I even recorded a whole album solo without a note of music in 1 night ... What a story that is !!!

don't feel like your the only one with these type problems....exposing them as you did will get you the advice & help you need to improve your art...keep up the good work

My biggest problem is my fingers of my left hand... I play matched grip and I have excellent finger control in my right hand, but in the left its a different story. I can't really play french grip with my left hand either, the stick goes down at an oblique angle.

Other than that I would say soloing creatively in a performance setting. I play a lot of jazz and when I'm practicing I come up with cool 4 bar or 8 bar solo ideas, that sound fresh. But when I'm playing with a group somewhere I sort of fall back into these easy and generally unimpressive ideas. I think it stems partially from a fear of overplaying in a small combo and a fear of losing time...

On that note, I used to have terrible time. I practiced with a metronome all the time and still had bad time. Then one day I started playing my bass drum with the heel up technique as opposed to heel down, and I suddenly had great timing. I think it was because playing heel down caused me to drag the notes slightly and therefore everything else slowed down. Playing heel up makes my right foot solid, and my time is solid because of it.

Not that I'm saying everyone should play heel up. You have to find what you're comfortable with. I played heel down for 4 years though with bad time, and switched to heel up and had good time in a matter of a day or two. You just have to practice until it clicks and you realize "I have to do this to keep time well". It's mechanic as much as mental.

I usually tend to speed down in a jazz setting.. to the point where my ensemble teacher loses his patience very often.. I practiced playing and singing the melody along with a metronome, but that problem seems to be really hard to eradicate.

Any tips or advices someone could give to me ?!

help will be much appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
Back