Writing with the weak hand?

There seems to be some real venom thats exploded in this thread.

Nobody said that brushing your teeth with your weak hand would instantly improve your drumming technique.

All the advocates were simply saying that using your weak hand in every day tasks could help build up the fine motor skills in that hand. Thus when you ALSO put in the time at the practice pad you will be more in tune with being able to control your weaker hand.

I know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but going back to my uni days I think this is all down to proprioception, which in simple terms is awareness of your various body parts in relation to each other. its a mental challenge getting the fingers of your left hand to do what your right hand can do.

I was doing drum exercises to strengthen my left hand and it did get much stronger. At the time, I was also painting murals on walls, and used my left hand because it had easier access to certain locations. Later, I started using my left hand on large drafting boards at work, also for easier access. After a while, I learned to write with my left hand. It got to be a lot of fun doing it on black boards. But I never got very fast using my left, but it did get to be legible.

Now in my later years, after a lot of injuries I am not as good with my left hand.

I did have a desire to try to use my left on the drums more and thought that getting my mind there would help. I think what it did was it brought my center of gravity more towards the center.

Back