Before I just jump in & do this ------

IDK, my idea FWIW is to not make everyone conform to a certain mold.

I'd say put a time limit on it say two minutes tops, and have no rules except that it has to be playing drums. Not even featuring a snare drum if you don't want.

The most enjoyable/entertaining video wins.

Like if a person has great chops, let them show off. Is that enjoyable? To me not really. If the chops are not enjoyable, then the chops person is at a disadvantage. So it's fair. Now if they can make it really enjoyable, maybe they deserve a vote.

If a person doesn't have great chops, that person has to take another path. Making an enjoyable video in no way requires technical skill.

It's all about the enjoyment factor. Who can make the most enjoyable/entertaining 2 minute video.

That way people can totally be themselves and have free reign to take any road they are comfortable with, as long as they play drums.

Just a suggestion.

Guys, more great ideas (nice one Larry, French, & Swiss), but I'll have to park those for next year. it's taken me ages to arrange permissions, etc. That's all now done. Wanted to get a co sponsor on board too. Again, that's done. The delay now is the competition landing page / platform. My idea is to make the competition more interactive & easier to manage, but I must confess, I'm struggling with the IT knowledge side of things. One way or another, I'll work it out.

Anyhow, look out for the announcement over the next day or so. Prizes are great - chances of winning are very realistic. I really hope everyone embraces it this year :)

Andy.

I snoozed on putting an entry together last year. THIS year I'm going to at least submit something for consideration. Looking forward to reading about the competition.

I snoozed on putting an entry together last year. THIS year I'm going to at least submit something for consideration. Looking forward to reading about the competition.
Great news!

Ok, a little more (tease). The competition is much more music / interpretation based this year. We have a superb funk track available for download, either with or without click. Drums & lead vocal are removed. It's a real cracker, because you can play real simply to it (if you want, you can play the money beat right through from start to finish), or you can choose to go ultra complex if you wish. There's so much detail, colours, accents to work off it's untrue. To make it super inclusive, those in the "playing for 3 years or less" category can download & use a shorter version consisting of one verse & one chorus. All categories are judged with equal weight, all categories stand an equal chance of winning, & the winner of each category will be judged on musicality, interpretation, & groove. Most critically, final placings will not be judged by a drummer, but by the composer of the music. That keeps this music based, groove / feel appreciative, & chops neutral!

Oh man! I would love to enter this time.

Will video quality submissions play a role in the results? I'm not too savvy with editing videos. Don't know how to over dub a video with the backing track.

Great news!

Ok, a little more (tease). The competition is much more music / interpretation based this year. We have a superb funk track available for download, either with or without click.

I took a look at the guru drums site but did not see contest info. Is this something that requires me to have "The Facebook"?

Oh man! I would love to enter this time.

Will video quality submissions play a role in the results? I'm not too savvy with editing videos. Don't know how to over dub a video with the backing track.
Video editing / quality / sound quality have no bearing on how entries are judged.

As for merging audio, there's a number of options (I'm not savvy on this either).
at it's most simple, you can play the audio track live though speakers, play along to that at an appropriate volume, & record the performance. You can use a very simple movie program installed on many computers such as iMovie (Mac) or MovieMaker (Windows). Record your drum performance whilst listening to the audio track on your MP3 player, then layer the official audio track onto or alongside the video in either of those two programs. Beyond that, there's much more capable programs available.

I took a look at the guru drums site but did not see contest info. Is this something that requires me to have "The Facebook"?
The competition isn't launched yet. When it launches (announced here first) there will be a dedicated competition page on our website. It will also be on Facebook. I'm still working on the final platform for this, as the IT side of this is beyond me.

Great news!

Ok, a little more (tease). The competition is much more music / interpretation based this year. We have a superb funk track available for download, either with or without click. Drums & lead vocal are removed. It's a real cracker, because you can play real simply to it (if you want, you can play the money beat right through from start to finish), or you can choose to go ultra complex if you wish. There's so much detail, colours, accents to work off it's untrue. To make it super inclusive, those in the "playing for 3 years or less" category can download & use a shorter version consisting of one verse & one chorus. All categories are judged with equal weight, all categories stand an equal chance of winning, & the winner of each category will be judged on musicality, interpretation, & groove. Most critically, final placings will not be judged by a drummer, but by the composer of the music. That keeps this music based, groove / feel appreciative, & chops neutral!

This does sound really interesting. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to hearing the track.

This does sound really interesting. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to hearing the track.
Ok, you pushed me :) Exclusively for Drummerworld, here's the first 1.5 minutes of the track (low quality) as a teaser. This is without click. There will be a version with click, & also a simplified section for beginners consisting of one verse & one chorus. For those who really want to go to town, the baselines & brass accents later in the track are a bunch of fun :)

Attachments

• Yo teaser edit.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 96
Holy Hell!!!! YESSSSSS! This was sooo groovey. Tons of ideas just popped into my head! Im busy dancing and such, gotta be careful I don't get fired, currently at work. Is there a reason for that empty space in the end?

Holy Hell!!!! YESSSSSS! This was sooo groovey. Tons of ideas just popped into my head! Im busy dancing and such, gotta be careful I don't get fired, currently at work. Is there a reason for that empty space in the end?
I've just done this as a quick tease edit, so it's chopped off abruptly. The full track is just superb! For those who think this is daunting, when you hear the version with a click, it's just so easy to play along to. Contestants can decide to use the track either with or without click.

So just snare how about brushes or just sticks?

that's def pretty cool! do you plan on leaving in the background vocals as a queue for dynamics?

that's def pretty cool! do you plan on leaving in the background vocals as a queue for dynamics?
Yes. There's plenty of other BV's & features to map out the song without the main vocal being in there.

So just snare how about brushes or just sticks?
Well, you could play just snare, but realistically, I expect most to use a kit, or at least bass drum, hats, & snare.

Andy, what sort or criteria is this going to be based on? Points for originality? The entire composition? Is a video required?

Any points for a really flashy drumkit?

Andy, what sort or criteria is this going to be based on? Points for originality? The entire composition? Is a video required?

Any points for a really flashy drumkit?
Certainly no points for a flashy drum kit. Judging is based on all the usual foundation criteria such as good time, etc, but originality, feel, groove, texture, dynamics, etc, are all big elements too. When it comes to final place judging, that will be down to the personal "gut feeling" of the composer.

I'm trying to sort this out today. My intention is to include a public voting element too, & who knows on what basis they will vote!

... My intention is to include a public voting element too, & who knows on what basis they will vote!

That's easy. The public will vote for the cutest ladyperson girl chick drummer.

Now to pick out a suitable frock....

Conchita+Wurst+Eurovision+Song+Contest+Grand+SVuj4350i1kl.jpg

I'd just like to announce / rant that I've spent all fekkin' day trying to set up the necessary platforms / apps / links to make this the competition experience I want it to be. I am so ill equipped to do this it's untrue. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe this process for me. Things crashing, codes not working, links failing, spending hours setting up a landing page for voting & entries only to find they're going to charge me $200 for the pleasure of letting me use their app!!! Grrrrr. I've been 1" from throwing in the towel more times than I can recall, so you'd all better get involved & make me feel slightly better about loosing several days of my life!!!

Nice track, Andy. Very groovy. I'm gonna be putting up some of my best stuff on this track.
Glad to hear it!!!

Wicked track, Andy, but sounds great - a Herbie Hancock vibe going on there. Sounds like a drumming job for David :)
1st up Grea, David's welcome to have a go, but he's not allowed to enter the competition. Once you hear the short versions with click, you'll see just how easy it is for even the most inexperienced player to have a go. There's also more than enough meat in the full length track for the pro's to have a go too. Finding something that inclusive wasn't easy.

That's easy. The public will vote for the cutest ladyperson girl chick drummer.

Now to pick out a suitable frock....
I guarantee that you wearing a frock will get additional votes, but it's most unlikely to impress the judges ;)

Back